Any Suhr Reactive Load users here? Worth the price?

DaveShred86

I am thinking about purchasing one of these babies, as I practice 50% of the time at home, right now I am using Amplitube but I'm getting sick of it's sterile tone and response.

Would a loadbox with a real amp (Mark III) make a noticeable difference?

I think if you are spending the money on one of these things, the Suhr is damn near the best in it's response and it's detail. Seems to have a better high end than Torpedo. That said, can you EQ stuff in after? More than likely. Will you even care? Maybe not. In that case, you can probably find a used Torpedo unit for a good deal. I think any load box kicks the crap out of amp sims.

I had one sounded great a little more low end it seemed on the IR’s than the torpedo x I currently have. I had to return it as mine was a lemon and wouldn’t save the irs after I imported them. I’m sure mine was an isolated case.

Thanks a lot!

What about damaging the amp? How does it convey with power tubes? I hope he doesn't eat them too fast :(

I’ve owned one for about 6 years and love it. It does not damage the amp, the amp sees a Greenback which is what Suhr used to make the reactive load.

I run all my time based effects (delay, Reverb, etc…then IR’s) after the Suhr RL then into my studio monitors. Sounds great.

I am thinking about purchasing one of these babies, as I practice 50% of the time at home, right now I am using Amplitube but I'm getting sick of it's sterile tone and response.

Would a loadbox with a real amp (Mark III) make a noticeable difference?
Some people are happy with the sound and feel of amps sims, so for them even if they a noticed a difference then the Suhr probably wouldn't be worth the price.

Like me, it sounds like you're not one of these folks. Hard to put a value on tone, but IME a good load box is more than worth the investment. If you want a simple one-box solution (albeit at higher cost) you'll need the IR version. Otherwise you'll need to run an IR elsewhere, which can can range from slightly inconvenient to pretty painful.

I haven't used another reactive load to compare it to, but my Suhr works just fine and dandy.

I made the jump from Amplitube to a real amp a year and a half ago, and when I did it I basically replaced the digital head and pedalboard with real stuff. I still use the same patch, I just have the head and pedals disabled and just use the IRs and post FX.

I have had the reactive load for a few years, I upgraded to the ir version last year (not because I needed to but i just wanted too) I highly recommend them, all my aps sound good through it

99% Convinced of getting the Suhr, all of you guys connect the RL to the interface with the XLR cable right? Best option I assume

I got it just a few hours ago, past tomorrow I will be able to hit the rehearsal room and spend the whole day with it, can't wait...

Fan was fixed, reverb also, full new tubes on preamp and power section, new caps here and there and some IIC+ touches on the preamp. Technician told me now it's absolutely a beast, can't wait to try it on Sunday!

Reactive load ir is the best purchase I’ve made when it comes to my rig. Nothing beats playing he be100 deluxe with all my effects at stadium volumes in the middle of the night while my kids and wife are asleep. Just needs a bit of reverb. IRS are what makes or breaks it. Have to find what you like.

But the feeling, you feel you are playing your real tube amp? I am searching for the opposite to the experience playing something like Amplitube...

Is that big the difference between the RL and the RLIR?

I am willing to use the RL with IR downloaded from here and there, just trying to emulate my 4X12 V30...

Have had my RL:IR for a few years now and it’s definitely worth it. Vastly superior IMO to amp sims, the Kemper etc.

The catch is you need great impulse responses, and to me the ones that come on the RL aren’t great. They’re too dark and sound a little weirdly processed. I think I’ve tried something from just about every IR maker out there and the ones I’ve recently picked up from @easstudios are really the best IMO.

I had actually shelved my Suhr RL for the most part because I got tired of auditioning hundreds of IR’s and not finding something that worked when songwriting but since I got a selection of dude’s IR’s I am using it quite a bit again. They just sound and feel really natural, and he even included IR’s where he’s tried to counter the effect of the RL’s greenback 4x12 impedance curve.

Back