Megadeth Rust in Peace Guitars only.

This album alone started my search for guitar tones, it steered me hard into Bogner amps for that elusive tone. Got a revision 2 Uberschall, then eventually a xtc 101b. Don't own them anymore, but it started me on that boutique amp quest and journey, it really is about the journey vs destination.

I love this tone but I also distinctly remember people trashing it when KSE was at the height of their popularity. For a time in the early 2000’s it was trendy to make statements like “imagine old albums with modern tones/production”. All these youngins were postulating how much better RIP would’ve sounded with a huge “Rose of Sharon” type of tone instead. I couldn’t disagree more. For RIP super precision riffing a more slender voicing is what’s needed to suit the material IMO

Didnt Dave have some gear up for sale a few years ago. Marshall pre/power amp rack set up?
If so,was that his studio or stage rig?

If so

I believe Rust in Peace was recorded with the VHT 2150 and the Bogner Fish. I have owned this actual setup a few times over the years and while the tone was really close I could never get it to sound and track as well as I was always dealing with too much flub on the low end as the Bogner Fish is a really thick sounding preamp, but the tone was pretty close but not the feel and attack unfortunately.

Its still a great Preamp with a very unique tone all to it's own but I found it much better for a thick singing violin type of lead tone. I wish Bogner would release a improved version with the needed improvements as the original had its shortcomings.

Anybody got a time machine?
I could never get past the dichotomy of the lyrics and Chris's shirtless buff 6 pack. Looks like a guy who really really really watches what he eats and has a gym membership. No doubt. Doesn't quite mesh with the "grunge" movement. Good singer tho, could always hit the high notes ala Robert Plant, but they were against that weren't they?

I could never get past the dichotomy of the lyrics and Chris's shirtless buff 6 pack. Looks like a guy who really really really watches what he eats and has a gym membership. No doubt. Doesn't quite mesh with the "grunge" movement. Good singer tho, could always hit the high notes ala Robert Plant, but they were against that weren't they?
Chris was a tortured soul. I always wondered why he didn't leave a suicide note, then it dawned on me that he was leaving them all along in his lyrics. Many people don't believe he took his own life. I sometimes wonder myself...

In my opinion he had a voice of the Gods. He was a poet and a conduit as well.
Not quite sure what he was "supposed" to look like. The look and aura he had reminds me of a wolf.
Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Good ol’ trash tones. Dave’s guitar looks like mine

1FA0242C-5DE6-4886-AC7D-1765877C71B4.jpeg

Back