Cheap Kramer Baretta Special is getting praise from YTers

most videos of guys upgrading these-they will remove the plastic nut and insert a spacer for a shelf to stabilize the locking nut. If possible, I would just bring it up the neck a little. It would shorten the space between the nut and 1st fret a little bit. Make sense? Of course I have not actually looked at it. Just thinking of options.
yeah nah you can't do that, will stuff intonation..... it is real easy cutting a little bit of wood and gluing it to the headstock... can be any type of wood at all
It's funny because for the last few weeks I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these guitars and modding it .. this thread and your comment has pretty convinced me it is fate hahahahaha ... am gonna call into the local shop and try out the neck to see how it feels

Last edited:
These are 320$ in canada and then you consider the time in and additional what 40-80$ in parts? I'd almost go the next Kramer up with the Floyd. Gets better reviews and the fretwork seems more consistent.
whats the next model up? only one I can see is the Baretta vintage which is over $700 more so you would be starting to get into the "spend real money on a guitar" and not pocket change, which to me kind of defeats the purpose

yeah nah you can't do that, will stuff intonation..... it is real easy cutting a little bit of wood and gluing it to the headstock... can be any type of wood at all
It's funny because for the last few weeks I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these guitars and modding it .. this thread and your comment has pretty convinced me it is fate hahahahaha ... am gonna call into the local shop and try out the neck to see how it feels
thanks for the heads up brother-did not know that.....

whats the next model up? only one I can see is the Baretta vintage which is over $700 more so you would be starting to get into the "spend real money on a guitar" and not pocket change, which to me kind of defeats the purpose
The pacer would be next up wouldn't it? Ok yes diff headstock but in the Kramer vein, that one is peoced well for its features.

I've always wanted a Hockey stick headstock, rotated humbucker Kramer.. I've always thought they looked so cool. Probably because of EVH and a couple other heroes but a friend of mine had one in the 80s but they were too expensive for me then.

I've always wanted a Hockey stick headstock, rotated humbucker Kramer.. I've always thought they looked so cool. Probably because of EVH and a couple other heroes but a friend of mine had one in the 80s but they were too expensive for me then.

Same. I think it’s from seeing those guitars growing up, same with strathead Charvels.

The colors on these are cool and the finishes are really good. Whoever is spraying them is doing a good job. All 3 of mine have nice paint, no defects and I love the neck shape. All 3 are also quite lightweight.

I bought a new black Kramer Baretta with the Floyd. I love it. Reminds me of my original Baretta -- the good and the bad parts.

Last edited:
The pacer would be next up wouldn't it? Ok yes diff headstock but in the Kramer vein, that one is peoced well for its features.
see the headstock difference basically make them completely different for me, to the point where they might as well be different brands. It like when Charvel and Jackson had to stop using the strat head and they came up with that ugly headstock, I have zero interest in ever owning one of those

Growing up in the 80's and having a stepfather who played kinda spoiled me. Even as a kid I would not consider a Kramer or anything like that. If it was not a Gibson or Fender it was junk. I got a mid 70's jumbo headstock strat as my 1st electric, then an early 70's blue metal flake les paul deluxe. Of course back then shit was affordable and I got real lucky. Hell-we didn't have running water or an indoor shitter till I was 13...lol. Of course I was rocking a martin stinger amp...lol. Moral of the story is I kinda missed those days and now I have a jackson dinky and a kramer 84. I can't use a floyd for shit but fuck it-I love them. If I come across the right deal I'll grab it and mod the fuck out of it. So I say get one.

I bought one and it's a blast. Neck and frets are real comfy. Tuners/nut/bridge are basic shit but at the price point the guitar is worth it just for the body and neck.

I put an EMG 81 in mine, shaved the finish off the neck and threw a chain strap on. I use it for all things thrash.

wtAUz71.jpeg
Guitar strap looks exceptionally comfortable .

Tons of Youtube players rave about these things . The entire guitar is cheaper than a good aftermarket neck .

I do admit that for those on a very limited budget these are ideal to paint up and make a Franky type guitar which so many seem to do these days.

I don't get the price difference between the special and Baretta Vintage or now called just the Baretta . The only thing different is the 1000 series Floyd and a Western Maple body instead of Mahogany . The 84 is now Alder instead of Maple and that cost $799.00 the Baretta is $699.00 and the Special is either $179.00 or $199.00 depending on color and fretboard.

I have tried to find these guitars and play them but have had no luck , even Guitar Center near me doesn't carry them . You have to order online it seems to try it out and if you don't like it send it back but I think if you ship it back return shipping is on you and that's $$$.

I have had long discussions on the Kramer board about these guitars and the regulars insist any Kramer that isn't from the 80's sucks . They even rip apart the latest higher priced Baretta & 84. When I go on sites and read feedback from owners of the guitars they have quite a different opinion .

Last edited:
I just picked up the Candy Blue model - $199 from Sweetwater. I knew what to expect and also planned on doing some adjustments and mods/upgrades. I have to tell you, this thing has no business playing and sounding so good at this price point! I am really surprised. Fretwork is nice, I don't have the real rough frets that need sanding like some have complained about. A few frets around the 12th fret area have some very slight sprout, which I plan on filing. The neck is very comfortable and plays without buzzing.

I also planned on immediately swapping out the pickup but guess what? It sounds pretty damn good, like a JB inspired hot Alnico 5. I have some Gotoh locking tuners I am installing this week and I may at some point replace the bridge or block. Aside from that - I removed one of the tremolo springs and clipped the bright cap on the volume pot. Best El Cheapo guitar around!

I just picked up the Candy Blue model - $199 from Sweetwater. I knew what to expect and also planned on doing some adjustments and mods/upgrades. I have to tell you, this thing has no business playing and sounding so good at this price point! I am really surprised. Fretwork is nice, I don't have the real rough frets that need sanding like some have complained about. A few frets around the 12th fret area have some very slight sprout, which I plan on filing. The neck is very comfortable and plays without buzzing.

I also planned on immediately swapping out the pickup but guess what? It sounds pretty damn good, like a JB inspired hot Alnico 5. I have some Gotoh locking tuners I am installing this week and I may at some point replace the bridge or block. Aside from that - I removed one of the tremolo springs and clipped the bright cap on the volume pot. Best El Cheapo guitar around!
Still waiting on mine to ship. I got the Red one and it was out of stock.

I like the fact that Sweetwater shows all the models & what they weigh in images so you can pick and choose before you buy .

I wish guitar shops carried these models because I wouldn't mind playing one before deciding if I liked it or not but no such luck. The guitar shop around me only carries the Striker series guitars.

handled a nightswan this weekend and I liked it. 24 3/4" just agrees with me. Just like my 84, is it worth 799? fuck no....3-400...fuck yes....If I could get that in a hum+sc with a reverse paddle...I would jerk off right in the music store...

Well --funny thread . I had a Beretta special with 300 plus in upgrades that I could not sell on this forum for a little over 300 . Never even heard from anyone and it was in perfect shape and played great . If anyone doesn't think these are worth the money go buy a Warmoth body and neck for your reality check. Now for the rest of the hardware..... LOL

It seems the cheap guitars made today are way better than the Japanese Squire Strat and Charvel Model 2 I got in the 80s for about three times as much. Those two never would stay in tune with the whammy. Hopefully I've learned enough to make it work correctly with my setup by now. But if not I saw one guy on YT put a $40 Fender trem and some locking tuners and it stays in tune now. He also sanded and lubed the nut.. another guy replaced the nut with a graphite one. There are lots of YT vids where people are upgrading these but the first one I posted in the OP.. all he did was remove one spring and he says it stays in tune.
Man the old japanese charvels put all these new guitars to shame... I have a 1987 model 1 and it rips..

Back