Once upon a time.. a Wizard and a Splawn got together

Wizard and Splawn are both known for being a little bit tighter with a bit more articulation / string separation and less compression. So it isn’t too surprising that once dialed in by the same pair of ears, feeding the same cabinet(s) the pair does provide a similar ‘flavor’ of sound. The more you bring up the volume to get some compression from the power section of the amp - and start to push those lower wattage speakers in the EVH cab, you start to get more of that nice greasy, slippery compression ‘feel’ that makes playing leads so satisfying. I could plug in and play through either of these heads all night and be thrilled to do so. (I’m impressed by how nice the clean channel of the nitro is with a touch of reverb and chorus!)

Last edited:
I used to own a quick rod, got rid of it as i just enjoy trying new amps out etc. I think they are very strong amps, THE sleeper amp if anyone out there wanted a hot rodded marshall tone, period. I currently own a Wizard MC II, and NO it is not a "status symbol". That comment really had me scratching my head confused.. but anyways, free speech for all, agree to disagree on that point.

I think from memory, the two amps are very similar in terms of tightness, but the Splawn is more thin and not a room filling sound vs the Wizard. I personally prefer the Wizard if I had to choose, but it is not a knock at all to splawn as it holds it own and is very well built.

Wizard and Splawn are both known for being a little bit tighter with a bit more articulation / string separation and less compression. So it isn’t too surprising that once dialed in by the same pair of ears, feeding the same cabinet(s) the pair does provide a similar ‘flavor’ of sound. The more you bring up the volume to get some compression from the power section of the amp - and start to push those lower wattage speakers in the EVH cab, you start to get more of that nice greasy, slippery compression ‘feel’ that makes playing leads so satisfying. I could plug in and play through either of these heads all night and be thrilled to do so. (I’m impressed by how nice the clean channel of the nitro is with a touch of reverb and chorus!)
For the clean channel I had also put in a 12AT7 in the tube socket. Helped bring out that chime some more.

Reactions: PDC
For me, both are great amps and no not saying this because I own a Splawn and would offend Wizard owners. LOL

From yesterday's experience, I thought the Wizard is an absolutely great amp to play through. Sounds nice thick and tight, yet cutting. Great note separation in the chords and overall great clarity.

Honestly, if I had the money to buy one to keep along the Nitro. I did like the form factor it's in. Not as big and wide as the Splawn head and I do like the side handles on the wizard. Makes me wanna look for a replacement Splawn head shell with side handles.

The Nitro held up it's own with the Wizard.

We honestly didn't do this to determine which amp is better. They're both great amps and regardless which you decide to buy, you won't be disappointed. They both fall within a similar tone/sound range but still different in their own way for sure. But recorded and blind folded, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I do have to say though, the Wizard having JJ E34L power tubes makes me wanna try those tubes in the Nitro to see what kind of results I'd get.

Cheers

I used to own a quick rod, got rid of it as i just enjoy trying new amps out etc. I think they are very strong amps, THE sleeper amp if anyone out there wanted a hot rodded marshall tone, period. I currently own a Wizard MC II, and NO it is not a "status symbol". That comment really had me scratching my head confused.. but anyways, free speech for all, agree to disagree on that point.

I think from memory, the two amps are very similar in terms of tightness, but the Splawn is more thin and not a room filling sound vs the Wizard. I personally prefer the Wizard if I had to choose, but it is not a knock at all to splawn as it holds it own and is very well built.
What's up Tim.. how you doing buddy ?

Till you take them out of the bedroom…
Exactly....and love the “it’s a status symbol” comments haha. Status of what, that your ears can tell the difference? For sure there’s a slew of people that have dropped stupid money on them who would’ve been better off with a Katana but they get sold sold pretty quickly

I’ve had two Splawn modded Marshall’s and one of his first run of his ground up builds, and a guitar from him. Great amps but they don’t do what my Wizard does. Scott Splawn is a gem too, one of the nicest people you will encounter.

For me, both are great amps and no not saying this because I own a Splawn and would offend Wizard owners. LOL

From yesterday's experience, I thought the Wizard is an absolutely great amp to play through. Sounds nice thick and tight, yet cutting. Great note separation in the chords and overall great clarity.

Honestly, if I had the money to buy one to keep along the Nitro. I did like the form factor it's in. Not as big and wide as the Splawn head and I do like the side handles on the wizard. Makes me wanna look for a replacement Splawn head shell with side handles.

The Nitro held up it's own with the Wizard.

We honestly didn't do this to determine which amp is better. They're both great amps and regardless which you decide to buy, you won't be disappointed. They both fall within a similar tone/sound range but still different in their own way for sure. But recorded and blind folded, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I do have to say though, the Wizard having JJ E34L power tubes makes me wanna try those tubes in the Nitro to see what kind of results I'd get.

Cheers
Lots of amps hold up to lots of other amps. The SLO30 at volume is as close as I’ve run across sonically to my MC25, Im sticking with that as a backup but would just as happily play a Splawn before lots of other amps.

it still very much comes down to how you’re using the amp. Are both of you guys using these in a live gigging format?

What's up Tim.. how you doing buddy ?
Hey B,

Doing ok, how about yourself? Still rocking it in the gta? Writing tunes?
I've been writing stuff since early this year with the singer (Chris- ) for Aftermath. yes him and I still create, same dude you met when we jammed WAYYY back, my god those are ages ago eh?

Exactly....and love the “it’s a status symbol” comments haha. Status of what, that your ears can tell the difference? For sure there’s a slew of people that have dropped stupid money on them who would’ve been better off with a Katana but they get sold sold pretty quickly

I’ve had two Splawn modded Marshall’s and one of his first run of his ground up builds, and a guitar from him. Great amps but they don’t do what my Wizard does. Scott Splawn is a gem too, one of the nicest people you will encounter.
My students will have all kinds of good amps . And then you should see their faces. When they stand in front on a wizard . They are like holy fuck. Lol they are t for the ears but also for pounding people in the chest . You can feel it

Lots of amps hold up to lots of other amps. The SLO30 at volume is as close as I’ve run across sonically to my MC25, Im sticking with that as a backup but would just as happily play a Splawn before lots of other amps.

it still very much comes down to how you’re using the amp. Are both of you guys using these in a live gigging format?
I use my Nitro in a live band. Have been since 2007-2008 since I bought it.

Hey B,

Doing ok, how about yourself? Still rocking it in the gta? Writing tunes?
I've been writing stuff since early this year with the singer (Chris- ) for Aftermath. yes him and I still create, same dude you met when we jammed WAYYY back, my god those are ages ago eh?
Hey buddy.. I am in Milton now. Moved here back in Sept. Playing with the same bassist for the last 20 years and we got a new drummer out of Mississauga.

Oh I know... We met something like 22-23 years ago? LOL. Time does fly by.

It's a status symbol, more than anything.
Pretty much my experience with most amps. Maybe a handful were really exceptional but only one of those could probably count as a status symbol and some set the bar so high that others start to sound too similar to each other or are not worth a premium for few (sometimes miniscule) differences and I got tired of new amps very quickly even though I really like well designed and built amps.

Back