Pete Thorn demos a new amp you can put on your pedalboard.

I posted this video because the pedalboard amp sounded better than the others I have heard. And you guys come out and make fun of and rip him?

He isn’t trying to fool anyone, he has stated he gets paid to make video demos. He also said he doesn’t make videos of the gear he gets that he doesn’t like. The guy gets to make a living playing guitar. He is a gnarly player, not like a lot of the YouTube, guitar, “personalities,” who can barely play.
Its a shame that this thread devolved into bashing Pete and paid youtubers in general. They are sales people, pure and simple. Do we go down to a car dealership and complain about dealing with the sales people? No, we expect them to push the product, these youtubers are no different. For those that don't like the paid youtubers, don't watch their videos.

I personally appreciate Pete Thorn's work, I think he does a great job in the demos. I really like his amps in the zone series as well. I have had GAS from his videos, but I don't recall actually buying something because of them.

Now to a more important question. How much of a market do you think there is for pedalboard amps?
For me on Sundays, I am just going direct or I bring a tube amp with a Suhr RLIR and go direct. So for me not sure the pedalboard amp would do much for me, but I am curious to hear other perspectives.

s

I guess you’ve never heard him say, quite a few times, that he receives a lot of gear and only makes videos of the ones he likes?
Listen, I like Pete and I don't go off about him being a shill or anything but he does demo a ton of gear and not all of it is on the same level. I guess if he likes it that's fair, but I think all these guys need material for content so they demo most things sent to them. It's not a knock, just a realization. But for the record, I don't bash him. I like him as a player and I like his enthusiasm for tone.

It's drama.
On this forum or any other forum or anywhere else in the internet. It's also why everyone left rig talk.
This forum isn't any different than YouTube. The owners only have it here because of advertising. Not anyone's pseudo drama queen ego.

Maybe some of you remember when Pete was a active member on rig talk. Out of 22,788 members here there is now less than 100 that are active.

How many people have left? A few key names I see less and less but I suspect they just found other things to do. I think this forum is no different than any forum really. This is what grown men do with too much time and money... complain :D

I thought about a pedal board amp. I was thinking if I was using something like a Fractal FM3 or FM9 it would be useful. I can also see having one as a back up on a board if my main amp went down at a gig.

Personally I find the thread fairly typical and comical. It only took to post #61 for it to be about the topic.

Last edited:
How many people have left? A few key names I see less and less but I suspect they just found other things to do. I think this forum is no different than any forum really. This is what grown men do with too much time and money... complain :D
In the last decade thousands. I still see most of them other places on the internet. Many of them made it clear why they avoid RT.

Last edited:
All the amps used up until say 1990. Marshall Laney Vox Hiwatt Orange Mesa Fender. Then came Soldano 5150 Mesa recto which in my opinion is very close to the same amp, gain became generic. After that all these different amps are just regurgitation and its killed itself in alot of ways. Remember guys on forums saying got to have certain amp to be able to pull off VH licks, Id say if you can play it you should be able to sit on the couch unplugged and play it. They said i was crazy LOL

Its a shame that this thread devolved into bashing Pete and paid youtubers in general. They are sales people, pure and simple.

lol dude it happens every thread someone posts a video of a popular youtuber, ive asked many questions in those threads trying to understand the intense hatred so many here have but i still cant figure it out :dunno:

I posted this video because the pedalboard amp sounded better than the others I have heard. And you guys come out and make fun of and rip him?

He isn’t trying to fool anyone, he has stated he gets paid to make video demos. He also said he doesn’t make videos of the gear he gets that he doesn’t like. The guy gets to make a living playing guitar. He is a gnarly player, not like a lot of the YouTube, guitar, “personalities,” who can barely play.
lolz.....are you being serious? hard to tell sometimes broseph.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

lol dude it happens every thread someone posts a video of a popular youtuber, ive asked many questions in those threads trying to understand the intense hatred so many here have but i still cant figure it out :dunno:

This is why:
For years there has been to much gear being made/sold than actual music.

Because this whole YouTube shilling thing has made a whole bunch of companies a whole lot of money, and very little actual music.

I guess if you enjoy elevator music delay pedal demos, this is the era to be a guitar player.

Every "new guitar hero" is famous for the products they shill and for their "content" - not their actual music. To even BECOME a "new guitar hero," your skillset is now to become a greasy used car salesman instead of making art.

For many people, this is gross, stupid, and crass.

Guitar was pop music hence the guitar hero stuff. Since 2010 there hasn't been a single song in the top 40 that was guitar based other than bands that were around before 2010.

Guitar is dead just like the saxophone and jazz. There has been a slight return in the last two years. But it is pretty much a thing of the past.

Most of the guitar players today are hanging out on Instagram. There is still a few on YouTube and other places.
I don't see a return of guitar ever being like it was. The crash in 2008 effected a lot more than most people think about. It effected all of culture. The way people make money playing guitar today is completely different than it was. I mean who is the most successful guitar player today.... Taylor Swift. She isn't a great dancer either.

Pete has mentioned he turns down gear he would not use himself to make the videos.

He is doing the entire thing in a bedroom in his apartment. Many of us have more gear than he has.

They are paid advertising. Not gear reviews. There is a big difference.
He should state that it's paid advertising than because his video's certainly sound like he's reviewing the products and his "This thing is amazing you should buy it if you want to sound like this " take on everything he reviews fools a lot of people .

Wow didn’t realize so many of you were on the PT hate train. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2014 and he was a sweet and humble guy who was willing to chat.

The man has HUNDREDS of videos online and you know what, he influenced me to buy ONE single piece of gear in the last 15+years (Wampler Dual Pantheon). That’s on you if you are foolish enough or bored to be that frivolous with your gear purchase decisions.

I have never heard him say that but I haven't watched a ton of his video's so maybe I missed it . I could only handle watching a few of his video's before I jumped ship.

Back