Badlander 25

I have one coming this week to do a demo of. Will report back on my thoughts when I get it.

I'm still loving my Badlander 50. Every time I plug in it's just instant joy for me. Boosted crunch channel and a paramtric EQ in the loop solves pretty muh any issue I have with it, I.E. slightly boxy low mids and lack of the lower frequencies.

Will also compare the 25 to the 50 if anyone is interested. There were some pretty significant differences between the mini rec and the big boi. I feel like it mostly came to the low end frequencies. Might be a little different here with the BL already being a pretty lean amp

I had a mini Rectifier a couple times. When you need it quiet, it's not. When you need it loud, it peters out. As for bottom end, I ran an MXR 10-Band in the loop. Worked like a charm.

Are you getting the head? All I've seen so far is combos.. Pretty stout price at $1899.

Edit: I see the heads have popped up since this AM. $1599 isn't too bad, these days anyway. I'll stick to my PT-20 V2, (which is an amp YOU would dig, guaranteed).

I have one coming this week to do a demo of. Will report back on my thoughts when I get it.

I'm still loving my Badlander 50. Every time I plug in it's just instant joy for me. Boosted crunch channel and a paramtric EQ in the loop solves pretty muh any issue I have with it, I.E. slightly boxy low mids and lack of the lower frequencies.

Will also compare the 25 to the 50 if anyone is interested. There were some pretty significant differences between the mini rec and the big boi. I feel like it mostly came to the low end frequencies. Might be a little different here with the BL already being a pretty lean amp
What Para EQ are you using?

Don't all Mesa combos sound like shit and boxy? They need a proper cab to sound their best. Put that thing through a 4x12 and I bet it sounds decent.
I agree this is part of the problem. I absolutely hated the sound of the ROV 25 combo, yet I liked the head through a 2x12 closed back cab. I guess they’re trying to cash in on the portability factor but I’d bet it would sound a lot better if it more along the dimensions of a 6505 combo.

I agree this is part of the problem. I absolutely hated the sound of the ROV 25 combo, yet I liked the head through a 2x12 closed back cab. I guess they’re trying to cash in on the portability factor but I’d bet it would sound a lot better if it more along the dimensions of a 6505 combo.
$1899 for portability ain't for me. I'd rather grab an old Peavey Classic 30. Had one of those with an upgraded Weber Silver Bell and it sounded wonderful! Probably the best 1x12 I've owned. And I've had 2 of the Classic 50 2X12's, also stellar combos.. Ahh, those were the days. Paid $619 for those Classic 50's new, made in USA, back in the late 90's when Peavey was building great stuff, priced right!

Yup. I rocked a Classic 50 4x10 and also had a Classic 30 with a Red Fang in it. Those amps covered a lot of ground.

Anyone out there try the Badlander 100 w/ 6L6's? I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

I love my Dual Rectifier Rev F but always wished it was more articulate.

Call me crazy, but I've never bonded with EL34's in it, which makes me skeptical to drop all that coin on an EL34 voiced Badlander.

The secret to the 25 watters is definitely to run them through the right cab. I have both the Mark V 25 and the Rectoverb 25. I run them both through 3/4 back 1x12‘s with C90’s and they sound huge!

Most combos sound boxy, it's pretty much their nature.
Also how loud ya running it, where is the combo placed in the room, how’s the room?
A 4X12 can sound boxy AF in a congesting room.
So play loud AF and none of that shit matters.

$1899 for portability ain't for me. I'd rather grab an old Peavey Classic 30. Had one of those with an upgraded Weber Silver Bell and it sounded wonderful! Probably the best 1x12 I've owned. And I've had 2 of the Classic 50 2X12's, also stellar combos.. Ahh, those were the days. Paid $619 for those Classic 50's new, made in USA, back in the late 90's when Peavey was building great stuff, priced right!
Classic 30's are so badass

I haven't changed anything, stock EL34. I do wanna try some 6L6 in it though.
It sounds great with those EL34's. I have a TC100 and recently tried a quad of JJ 6l6GC's in it.

It sounded more scooped with better deeper/looser bass, but the amp lost some of its liveliness.

If you try it with the 6L6's I'd recommend hitting it with a boost to get some of the mids back.

I tried 6l6s in mine and swapped back to el34s within an hour. It loses way too much of it's presence. If you expect the Badlander to sound more like a recto, that might be the trick, although it's never going to have the lows and insane highs. It really shouldn't say recto on the faceplate at all, bad move on Mesa's part.

Back