NAD x 2 More MK Boogies

PurityS.L.G

Well I just decided to dive right in and go for the full Mesa Mark experience (minus a real IIC+) LOL Picked up a '91 MKIV and an '87 MKIII red stripe simul-class, long chassis non reverb.
NAD MKIII IV.jpeg

I guess the trannies are not IIC+ related. Can you MK experts chime in if these are still good or not? My understanding was that the early MKIII's still used the same DRG trannies as the MKIIC+
MKIII PT.jpeg

MKIII OT.jpeg

And here is my mountain of MK's together. Clips of all of them to come very soon!
Amps.jpeg

I can't decide which is my favorite of the MKIII or MKIV but sweet jesus as an actual MKIV owner for the first time, this amp just kills. It rivals the Nitro in the low end department no question. The MKIII as well but something about the IV and its more modern voicing. Never would've ever guessed I'd become a Mark freak like this haha! No shame either!!

I think that’s fuvking killer you got these . I’ve had every mark except a mk 1 . Should have kept them all lol. My fav as you know will always be 3++ green stripe what cab you like best for marks ? I go with Marshall BV

Congrats on the purchase. I loved my 60W red stripe. Be mindful when retubing these Simul-class amps—they need two different tube ratings to bias properly. If you're using Mesa tubes, RED or YEL code should go in the outer ("class A") sockets and GRN or GRY in the inner (class A/B) sockets. This is assuming all 6L6 tubes—I believe Mesa doesn't recommend using EL34s in the Mark IV "class A" sockets.

I guess the trannies are not IIC+ related. Can you MK experts chime in if these are still good or not? My understanding was that the early MKIII's still used the same DRG trannies as the MKIIC+
Those are just the regular transformers used on virtually all Mark IIIs and Mark IVAs. I believe only the early black dots came with the IIC+ 105-162318 PT.

Was the headshell replaced on the Mark IV? I'd expect bronco tolex on a 1991 model.

Congrats on the purchase. I loved my 60W red stripe. Be mindful when retubing these Simul-class amps—they need two different tube ratings to bias properly. If you're using Mesa tubes, RED or YEL code should go in the outer ("class A") sockets and GRN or GRY in the inner (class A/B) sockets. This is assuming all 6L6 tubes—I believe Mesa doesn't recommend using EL34s in the Mark IV "class A" sockets.

Those are just the regular transformers used on virtually all Mark IIIs and Mark IVAs. I believe only the early black dots came with the IIC+ 105-162318 PT.

Was the headshell replaced on the Mark IV? I'd expect bronco tolex on a 1991 model.
Funny you bring up the headshell. Its in near immaculate condition, which is good! But the boogie logo is missing and you can see a gap between the top of the chassis and the headshell. No biggie to me really, but I did notice the difference too which I did know about the tolex difference at least.

I think that’s fuvking killer you got these . I’ve had every mark except a mk 1 . Should have kept them all lol. My fav as you know will always be 3++ green stripe what cab you like best for marks ? I go with Marshall BV
I haven't tried the MKIV on any other cab except the two pictured (ENGL Pro and Mesa OS) but when I posted those clips up of my friends MKIII vs my MKV and JP2C a couple of weeks ago, the MKIII sounds amazing through all of my cabs except the Orange PPC412. A little too fizzy and flubby on that cab. I only work half day tomorrow so I can't wait to hook the MKIV to my Marshall JCM800 cab w/ vintage T75's. You know I have to play nothing but thrash Metallica and Chevelle Nu Metal riffs on that combo LOL!!

On a side note, it may be no surprise to anyone here but the MKV is the weakest of that bunch. It is aggressive and tighter than a gnats ass which is perfect for recordings but it does not come close to having the balls of the other 3 marks. I'll most likely keep it since it records that well and has a place in my tone arsenal. However, I am conflicted a bit I must admit. Then again, other than a Wizard which I have the scratch for, what else would I need or want to replace it with? I've already been down the Recto revision road and have the one I love the most.

I haven't tried the MKIV on any other cab except the two pictured (ENGL Pro and Mesa OS) but when I posted those clips up of my friends MKIII vs my MKV and JP2C a couple of weeks ago, the MKIII sounds amazing through all of my cabs except the Orange PPC412. A little too fizzy and flubby on that cab. I only work half day tomorrow so I can't wait to hook the MKIV to my Marshall JCM800 cab w/ vintage T75's. You know I have to play nothing but thrash Metallica and Chevelle Nu Metal riffs on that combo LOL!!

On a side note, it may be no surprise to anyone here but the MKV is the weakest of that bunch. It is aggressive and tighter than a gnats ass which is perfect for recordings but it does not come close to having the balls of the other 3 marks. I'll most likely keep it since it records that well and has a place in my tone arsenal. However, I am conflicted a bit I must admit. Then again, other than a Wizard which I have the scratch for, what else would I need or want to replace it with? I've already been down the Recto revision road and have the one I love the most.
Wizard makes sense . Also Hermanson. But another amp maker I think is killer is MLC .selling mk v for something like that is fine idea

The output transformer is the same as the one used on IIC+, but under a different part number.

Congrats btw! 🤘🏻

Well I just decided to dive right in and go for the full Mesa Mark experience (minus a real IIC+) LOL Picked up a '91 MKIV and an '87 MKIII red stripe simul-class, long chassis non reverb.
View attachment 146428

View attachment 146431
View attachment 146434

And here is my mountain of MK's together. Clips of all of them to come very soon!
View attachment 146437

I can't decide which is my favorite of the MKIII or MKIV but sweet jesus as an actual MKIV owner for the first time, this amp just kills. It rivals the Nitro in the low end department no question. The MKIII as well but something about the IV and its more modern voicing. Never would've ever guessed I'd become a Mark freak like this haha! No shame either!!
@PurityS.L.G some of the early No Stripes came with 105 Power Transformers, the same ones used on the IIC+. I own 2 DRG No Stripes with 105 PT's and a III+ HRG Red Stripe. They're all awesome amps. Red Stripe with no reverb and a long head too... You got an awesome Mark III.

As for the Mark IV, they're bad ass. I have a Mark IV rev. A and can never decide which Mark I like more. The IV's have that YUGE bottom end and the articulation of the III's is pretty sweet too. But hey, why choose when you can have them all?

That pic gives me so much anxiety haha. I want to buy you a metal standing shelf.

I would sell the V for a guitar. If you're dead set on an amp though maybe a KSR Colossus or Juno.

As for the Mark IV, they're bad ass. I have a Mark IV rev. A and can never decide which Mark I like more. The IV's have that YUGE bottom end and the articulation of the III's is pretty sweet too. But hey, why choose when you can have them all?
That’s how I feel!
id say you gotta have one real marshall in that pile, id sell one of the marks and get a DSL or slx with a 1960 and youd literally have everything covered.
Well I do have that Ceriatone Chupa pictured in that last pic and I have a JCM800 4x12 cab. It covers a ton of Marshall ground. Believe or not, I love it in Plexi mode more than the 80’s and modern mode. When I crank it on my GB loaded 412, it punches you in the face and balls at the same time. I’ll have to make a clip of it for you guys when I do another mark shootout 👍🏻

Back