Taking on my most challenging headstock repair ever

Most of the guys I’ve seen repair a break that bad, use jigs to cut out 2 small valleys in the existing good wood and dowel the pieces back together along with gluing the exposed wood, then clamping. Quite a process. $550.00 is pretty fair in my opinion.

Most of the guys I’ve seen repair a break that bad, use jigs to cut out 2 small valleys in the existing good wood and dowel the pieces back together along with gluing the exposed wood, then clamping. Quite a process. $550.00 is pretty fair in my opinion.
Yeah. Why take the chance of really fucking it up and then having to have a new neck made? For around $600 out the door, it can be ready to assemble and rock the fuck out!

I took it up to Grand Rapids today, to Russell’s shop.

He’s gonna re fret it, repair the headstock and touch up the back of the headstock too.

He said it would be about a month.

Well…I just got off the phone with a fella in Grand Rapids who owns a guitar repair shop. He’s done work for me in the past and does incredible work.

I texted him the pics. He said he would repair the headstock, refret and new nut for $550. So I’m gonna let him do it instead of rolling the dice on my limited experience.
Nice dude! That's a good price for all that work. I'm guessing the neck repair will need some reinforcing dowels put in from the looks of it.

I hope it's rocking hard when you get it back!

Update.

The guitar has been at North Coast Guitars, in Grand Rapids for a bit. Russ is going to make a new headstock and scarf joint it. He will be utilizing the original head veneer and the original serial number. He is going to shave the back of the original headstock off and laminate it onto the back of the new headstock to keep the original serial number intact along with the original head veneer. He will also be doing a complete re-fret and new bone nut. It should be done in another three weeks or so.

had a 79 cherry sunburt deluxe like that.
someone routed it for a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. i preferred that as the minis squealed like ned beatty.

local shop sold it to me in ‘95 w/case stick mini neck/ dizzy sd bridge for $500

Back