Vince Neil Exposed

Can we take a moment to talk about how badass Steve Stevens is on this record?!!? Love all of his album tones, but this is probably my favorite SS tone. It is thick , chewy and saturated but articulate all at the same time. And to top it off, his playing is on fire. Enjoy...

Badass Player and amazing tones on that Album!! I don't mean to offend anyone but I've never liked Vince's voice.

I don't know how anyone could be that offended by that, Vince's voice is terrible. But he has been attached to some good players through the years.
Agreed. His voice kinda fit the Shout album but if I'm honest, that also partly has to do with how we take in new sounds/bands etc and a lot of that early Cure stuff would sound 'off' if it was sung by someone else in a different way. Hell, think of even Kickstart My Heart or Dr. Feelgood with a different singer? But yeah, he can't sing (well) and never could.

Absolutely love this album, just had this in the rotation again recently as I've been on a Steve Stevens kick. Also agree on the early 90's actually generating some great hair metal. This one is particularly impressive to me because the genre was still kicking out a number of albums through 1992 and then it plunged right off a cliff with the scene changing. This album was 1993 and the pickings were slim, this is my favorite of this style from that year followed by George Lynch's Sacred Groove and the first Arcade album.

Not sure what to say on Vince's voice, I guess you like it or you don't, but he was the voice of Crue for me all those years so I guess it just "sounds right" to me on this. And I'll say this, at least you can't mistake it's him.

Agreed. His voice kinda fit the Shout album but if I'm honest, that also partly has to do with how we take in new sounds/bands etc and a lot of that early Cure stuff would sound 'off' if it was sung by someone else in a different way. Hell, think of even Kickstart My Heart or Dr. Feelgood with a different singer? But yeah, he can't sing (well) and never could.

For sure, Paul Shortino (as an example) is a way better singer than Vince from that time period, but fuck he would've sounded weird doing a lot of Crue stuff haha

Speaking of Shortino... the first two Rough Cutt albums are vastly underrated. Great guitar tones, good songs, great playing and production.
Super good, I like that the first one is more dark and brooding, and the second one is more upbeat. And 100% on the production. They hold up much better than most of their contemporaries.

I'm gonna listen to them back-to-back now at work! :geek:

I find Vince is on fire on this album.

This album has been spinning for me from when it came out, still does today. A timeless classic for me. The energy in Steve's playing is just crazy. The feel in his solo's is amazing.

One of my top 5 albums.
Vince sounds great on this one . Ron Nevison got him working hard . He actually layered his vocals a lot . Never does in crude like that

Speaking of Shortino... the first two Rough Cutt albums are vastly underrated. Great guitar tones, good songs, great playing and production.
Shortino is from my town . His nephews would come in to our shop all the time . They into music big time too

Super good, I like that the first one is more dark and brooding, and the second one is more upbeat. And 100% on the production. They hold up much better than most of their contemporaries.

And the two guitarists - Amir Derakh and Chris Hagar delivered the goods. Very complimentary players of each other's style. Saw them open for Dio and they sounded fantastic live as well.

Really out of all the 80's stuff those two albums are part of the few I that ever go back and listen to on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Jailhouse is better than both of them. Check it out.

Saw Vince’s band open for VH here in ‘93 . Steve was playing an EBMM EVH thru Peavey 5150s . In an interview Steve said he took his Plexis on the road but Ed gave him the 5150s which he started using. He used what appeared to be a toy ray gun right up to his bridge pickup for some of those crazy sounds

This is probably my favorite track from the album. The solo section is just killer. The end solo is probably my favorite moment on the album.
Agree 100%!

The contrast between the middle and end breaks is insane.

The one at the end proves the dude knows what he's doing and isn't just another Johnny-come-lately cock-rock geetar hero.

Back