Favorite neck pickup for a Les Paul for metal?

Rex Rocker

So I'm digging the 500T in the bridge of my LP Tribute.

I've tried the DiMarzio Super 2, Evolution Neck, and Duncan Distortion Neck, and the Evo was close, but not quite. I found it a little sterile.

I use my neck pickup for leads and cleans. I don't like vintage-class neck pickups. I mean, I do like them on their own, but I always feel they're a bit underpowered and chirpy when matched with a high-output bridge screamer.

I tried to order a 496R pickup, but I got sent the wrong pickup (for some reason, I ended up with a Duncan P Rails? LOL). I wonder if I'm really missing much not trying the 496R.

So what do you guys dig?

Wagner Crossroads, the neck pickup is so close to the strings naturally in a Les Paul you don't need super high output.

the neck pickup is so close to the strings naturally in a Les Paul you don't need super high output.
Well, depends on what you consider high output. The Evolution isn't as hot as the Super 2 and Duncan Distortion Neck, but it almost struggled keeping up with the 500T.

I had the 500T in my Les Paul for years, matched with the 496R neck. I thought that pair sounded awesome and I would suggest that first and foremost. Of course, we tone chasers are always tinkering and trying to get a little better than before, so they have been swapped many times.

For the OP (who appears to have had some issues obtaining a 496R), I would suggest the Duncan Jazz which is oftentimes paired with higher output pickups like the Duncan Distortion and JB. The Duncan 59 is also another great choice. Although apples to oranges, I have the Duncan Custom bridge pickup (which is also a ceramic mag like the 500T) paired with a Duncan Pearly Gates neck and it sounds awesome. Both the PG and Jazz neck models will get you a clear, zero mud neck tone. Not to come off as a Duncan fanboy, but this is where I have first hand experience with neck models to match higher output bridge models.

JQ

I had the 500T in my Les Paul for years, matched with the 496R neck. I thought that pair sounded awesome and I would suggest that first and foremost. Of course, we tone chasers are always tinkering and trying to get a little better than before, so they have been swapped many times.

For the OP (who appears to have had some issues obtaining a 496R), I would suggest the Duncan Jazz which is oftentimes paired with higher output pickups like the Duncan Distortion and JB. The Duncan 59 is also another great choice. Although apples to oranges, I have the Duncan Custom bridge pickup (which is also a ceramic mag like the 500T) paired with a Duncan Pearly Gates neck and it sounds awesome. Both the PG and Jazz neck models will get you a clear, zero mud neck tone. Not to come off as a Duncan fanboy, but this is where I have first hand experience with neck models to match higher output bridge models.

JQ
Gotta agree here. 500T and 496R is a perfect match.

What's the 496R like?

I'm not a huge fan of the Duncan '59 and Jazz, personally. I find them both too weak, scooped, and chirpy. I mean, I like them on their own, but I don't like how they match with high output bridge pickups.

496R A5 swapped is to die for. Sustain for days and mellow - very liquidy. Relaxed top end so it’s not harsh. The 496R as is with the stock short bar ceramic magnet is great. I recommend it too with a 500T.

Jazz or 59 in neck.
Sterile and scooped were my experiences with these 2 in a Les Paul (Custom).

Currently I'm using 3 different neck pickups in my Les Pauls:
-Air Norton (AT-1 in bridge) = very versatile and both split gorgeous
-Pearly Gates Neck (Custom/59 Hybrid bridge) = versatile and characterful with a lot of 'rawk'
-DP103 36th Anniv PAF (with SuperD bridge) = just classic

If you don't mind a decent output neck humbucker, that still retains some sort of single-coilish sound in terms of character, the Duncan Screamin' Demon would fit the bill as well. Apparently it's a love/hate thing in the bridge (never tried it myself that way), but I really enjoy it for fast metal stuff with good definition, but still good character, in the neck.

I would not recommend the Alnico Pro II from S.D. Too thick and mellow.

I'll add another neck pup that would work well with the 500T - the PRS Tremonti Neck. It's an alnico pup, sounds incredible and will work well considering his bridge pup is designed after the 500T. More smooth than the stock 496R.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those in the neck and pairing it with the 500. But that's just my opinion. And what I have in my Pauls and PRS Tremonti's.

Back