Pete Thorn demos a new amp you can put on your pedalboard.

Lack of guitar focused masterclass notwithstanding, and I would rather hear IE guitar sounds versus Ethridge anything, but IE has sold literally 1/10th of the records Melissa Ethridge has, 1/32 of Cornell's output (Soundgarden included), and 1/64th of Henley's... the bands Thorn is hired to play with may not be the Rig Talk cup of Tea, but they are not close to talentless shitty hacks and you don't get those gigs if you suck. At least this guy isn't selling PT bobblehead dolls and Flying V ashtrays and neck ties ala Joe Bonamassa.

I hate Bonamassa even more than PT lol

The Bonermaster is definitely an even bigger shill

But 1. record sales don't really mean anything to me 🤷

I honestly think all the bands he's played with are garbage, and talentless hacks, I don't really care if the brainwashed masses find swill palatable

2. I guess I could see your point if PT actually wrote any of those massive hits and got royalties for them, but he didn't

I guarantee you iced earth has sold more records than PETE THORN has, insofar as actual music Pete Thorn has written

Well I like Black Country Communion.
The song cold is killer !
Glen Hughes kills it on that tune.
Bonamasa has a few good tunes but got stale .

Last edited:
The only reason I know who he is , is because I read some info on the Ultimate Guitar website that he used to hang with EVH at his 5150 studios . If not for that I wouldn't even know he existed.

I’d love to see him play with Ian Thornley. The names match and they sound kind of alike in some ways. Think of the dual solo potential. That shit would be fucking sick and they could gear nerd out like mad. Add Devin Townsend and have both open for Rush with whoever Dave Grohl had at the Taylor gig and you’ve got a night worth seeing and tour shirt worth buying.

I never really have paid attention Pete thorn . He’s just a YouTuber ? Was he a famous guitarist first or what ?
He was a young underclassman we used to body shame and fuck in the shower in high school. He then took all the rage and shame, wrote it down in his diary, wadded the page up and ate it, then directed that angst into guitar. Now he sells shit on youtube.

As for Pete, I'm assuming he has made a name for himself because he is professional, dependable, and consistent. I'm sure a lot of guys are better players or have more swag but he's that guy that night in/out delivers the goods and let's the feature artist shine. It's not an easy industry and he's making it work.

Totally off topic, I remember years ago he was working with some rocket that I think he was also dating. I remember thinking good for this guy pulling a chick like this. Anyone remember that? She was an aspiring singer. Pete getting it done off the fretboard, atta boy.

He was a young underclassman we used to body shame and fuck in the shower in high school. He then took all the rage and shame, wrote it down in his diary, wadded the page up and ate it, then directed that angst into guitar. Now he sells shit on youtube.

Nothing like wanting to paint yourself as a pedo/rapist on the internet! No thrill greater!

Well I like Black Country Communion.
The song cold is killer !
Glen Hughes kills it on that tune.
Bonamasa has a few good tunes but got stale .

Agreed. I can't stand his obnoxious rig when it is obvious he could make a bunch of 60$ pedals sound the same into just about any tube amp off the shelf. Probably true about a lot of people.

Even though I make fun of PT and immensely dislike the entire Youtube guitar player branding of personality phenomenon, it's obvious the guy can easily outplay most of his critics. Painfully obvious.

i gotta give the dude props for even getting the gigs he has with his "imperfections", im sure there would be lines around the building of capable good looking people that would fit in much better than him. dude must be a total pro

No clue.

I could prolly find the Tony McKenzie video on the JJ, but in the Thorn video they just kept referring to him as "This old guy on YouTube".

Only reason I knew who/what they were talking about is that I had already watched the Tony McKenzie video where he trashed the JJ junior.

Tony McKenzie is a sleezeball.

He probably did this because Dave wouldn't pay him or give him the amp for free.

He did the same hit-job on the Axe-Fx because I wouldn't pay his blackmail attempts. He registered the domain fractalaudio.uk and then tried to blackmail me into buying the domain from him. I refused so he posted a "review" where he slammed the Axe-Fx.

This guy is as slimy as they come and if he didn't like the amp then it's probably because Dave told him to f*** off.

He probably did this because Dave wouldn't pay him or give him the amp for free.

He did the same hit-job on the Axe-Fx because I wouldn't pay his blackmail attempts. He registered the domain fractalaudio.uk and then tried to blackmail me into buying the domain from him. I refused so he posted a "review" where he slammed the Axe-Fx.

This guy is as slimy as they come and if he didn't like the amp then it's probably because Dave told him to f*** off.
BOOM...straight from the horse's mouth. This is why Rig Caulk rules.

Couldn't confirm or deny any of this.. but the video he showed inside the amp was undisputable.

It's a cheaply made amp - not worth the money.

ymmv

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/tony-mckenzies-full-helix-review.1632346/page-4#post-20803465 said:
1. Tony was squatting on Fractal Audio's domain names. He registered fractalaudio.eu, fractalaudio.uk, etc. When we asked him to relinquish the domains he refused and demanded money. We refused to be blackmailed. Squatting on domain names is illegal but we did not pursue legal remedy.
2. Tony then released a video criticizing the Axe-Fx II.
3. I called him a chucklehead, because he is one.

That's not blackmail and so-called "cybersquatting" isn't illegal in the UK where the guy comes from and the domain was registered.

And it seems like his domain was registered around the same time his review, by now long deleted, was uploaded to YT.

So, do you have actual evidence to back up your claims of failed blackmail attempts that led to unfavorable reviews?

Last edited:
Back