Tony Iommi and Boogies

👍
Best song on the Album. Period.

It’s funny to hear Ian Gillan talk about how they wrote that song,

Apparently there was some parish or Catholic church close by and Sabbath were asked if they wouldn’t play / record on Sunday mornings, (I forget the actual wording) but the video with Gillan interviewed and the story was very cool.
‘Disturbing the Priest’ was born …
I’ve never heard that, that’s awesome. :rock:

Last edited:
That song rules but Disturbing the Priest is one of the most evil sounding songs I've ever heard. It can make most death metal bands curl up in the fetal position while covering their ears and pleading to just make it stop.
Without question. Gillan is literally raising Hell during the outro. The most sinister vocals ever. King Diamond even be like, “that’s one evil motherfucker.”

Last edited:
In Ozzy's book, the story he tells when they were recording Vol. 4 about him and a roadie (I think) in the bathroom trying to snort all the cocaine in the house because the cops came is epic.

Without question. Gillan is literally raising Hell during the outro. The most sinister vocals ever. King Diamond be like, “that’s one evil motherfucker.”
Yep,
I think Gillan was the perfect fit for Sabbath. His voice is so powerful and massive. When he screamed, it was effortless and it felt like he had lots leftover and wasn’t even trying.
I can only imagine what the follow up to Born Again could have been…

Yep,
I think Gillan was the perfect fit for Sabbath. His voice is so powerful and massive. When he screamed, it was effortless and it felt like he had lots leftover and wasn’t even trying.
I can only imagine what the follow up to Born Again could have been…
Agreed, the control he had of his high vocals was ridiculous. He could just turn it on at will, like a dragster revving it’s engine. Idle to 9000 rpm’s in a split second. Hahahaa
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve wished that they followed up Born Again with that lineup…..:doh:

I think I have born again on cd, I remember buying that with a few others when I was just getting into sabbath in 8th grade, the only song I remember is zero the hero, I’ll have to listen again
Definitely give it another listen, and try to get past the production. What it lacks in quality, it makes up for with sinister atmosphere.

Born Again is a rare case of crappy production that enhances the creepy mood of the record. It adds to the nightmarish vibe where, like in some bad dreams, things have this hazy, blurry and unsettling aura to them. Even the ’nicest’ song on there, Keep it Warm, has an ‘off’ feeling about it.

Agreed, the control he had of his high vocals was ridiculous. He could just turn it on at will, like a dragster revving it’s engine. Idle to 9000 rpm’s in a split second. Hahahaa
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve wished that they followed up Born Again with that lineup…..:doh:

I hear ya, it’s so frustrating to think what could have been…😢🥴
And yes, I agree, such incredible control in his voice.
…truly amazing how he had such a great balance of absolute crushing power while still remaining melodic.

Born Again is a rare case of crappy production that enhances the creepy mood of the record. It adds to the nightmarish vibe where, like in some bad dreams, things have this hazy, blurry and unsettling aura to them. Even the ’nicest’ song on there, Keep it Warm, has an ‘off’ feeling about it.
Nailed it 100%. It’s almost like the blueprint for early Black Metal recordings like Bathory or Hellhammer, with their harsh, abrasive and dark recordings that sacrificed quality for atmosphere.

Agreed. He went from rock singer to throwing down one of the most scorching vocal performances in all of metals.
Unfortunately Born Again is overlooked, under appreciated, and the only BS album he appeared on.
I’m listen to headless cross. The production still sounds outstanding. Tony Martin was like Tony’s pet Dio lol . Just had to say that

Truth!!!!! I love Deep Purple. I got a box set for free from a friend with every song DP has done, live recordings, etc. "Speed King" has some great Ian wails on it.
Check out Purpendicular from the 90s with Steve More on guitars . It’s a great unknown Deeo Purple album . Ted The Mechanic is a cool track

Back