Rack gear is insanely expensive now

I think the tube preamp / poweramp gear is getting expensive because no one really makes it anymore. Most people are searching for units made 30 years ago.

The effects are finally getting caught up with, with the current pedals that are out, and many people dont want old units where you have to use a little LCD screen and rotator knob instead of USB and a computer editor.

I love my old rack gear, but I can kinda see why it is disappering. I just wish the newer pedals were set up more like 1/2 rack units because their cable management sucks compared to rack units.

The problem with a lot of newer gear like the HX Stomp is it has no analog dry-thru. Most of the older stuff that sounds the best had analog dry-thru, or was used with a mixer. I have been curious about some of the larger pedals, like Source Audio, who use an analog dry-thru.
This is very true. It is not a big deal for me, but others may really want that analog dry sound, how specific algorithms sound, how the converters interact with the signal, and so on. My specific post was more aimed at the person who has the TC Electronic G-Major that's falling apart, and given how atrocious those converters are, I am willing to bet the HX Stomp would be a big improvement for them all around. But yes, many different ways to get the sounds you're looking for, and some options might involve compromises that are deal breakers for others.

This is very true. It is not a big deal for me, but others may really want that analog dry sound, how specific algorithms sound, how the converters interact with the signal, and so on. My specific post was more aimed at the person who has the TC Electronic G-Major that's falling apart, and given how atrocious those converters are, I am willing to bet the HX Stomp would be a big improvement for them all around. But yes, many different ways to get the sounds you're looking for, and some options might involve compromises that are deal breakers for others.

I have just been very picky about this lately. I have my effects coming after my tube amps going through a desktop mixer because I started noticing things I didn't like. I currently rotate between my MPX-1, G Major 2, and Axe FX II. I like the Rocktron stuff because you dont need to do that since they have mixers built in. I have an Intellifex and Replifex also.

I think the tube preamp / poweramp gear is getting expensive because no one really makes it anymore. Most people are searching for units made 30 years ago.

The effects are finally getting caught up with, with the current pedals that are out, and many people dont want old units where you have to use a little LCD screen and rotator knob instead of USB and a computer editor.

I love my old rack gear, but I can kinda see why it is disappering. I just wish the newer pedals were set up more like 1/2 rack units because their cable management sucks compared to rack units.
I think the older stuff still sounds better but yeah for reliability if I was gigging... I'd be using something new that gets me 90% of the way there.

I remember 10yrs ago you could get a JMP1 or Triaxis for a decent price.

Now all this rack gear is crazy expensive.

FX too. Eventides, Lexicons etc.

Doesn't seem like it's coming down either.

Nuts
So, the best delays that I've owned are my Roland SD3000s. They have a warmth that is very cool; plus the Chorus is also top notch. I like them better than the MPX1, and even the PCM 81 I had a few yrs ago.
I just found any number of them for 220-300 per, free shipping from Japan on eBay. They are 100v but you can buy plug in converters; or the larger standalone voltage converter.
EVH, Vai and others can't be wrong. I've had the pair here for 5 years on, never had a problem. I'm surprised they are as cheap as when I bought mine.

For those who are going after MPX1s, definitely make sure it is equipped with the latest V1.10 firmware, or else you'll be dealing with a bunch of strange MIDI issues. Also make sure that the battery has either been replaced professionally or hasn't damaged the board from leaking acid everywhere destroying traces. Expect to replace this - preferably with a coin cell holder for future ease of maint. Verify the LCD backlight is bright and hasn't died, too.

Expect to pair a mixer with this unit, and be prepared to read the manual. The PCM81 is a much better manual to understand how Lexicons work in general, so if you're still confused after reading the MPX1's manual, try looking at that. It's actually a great manual in helping understand algorithm design in general. https://freeverb3vst.osdn.jp/doc/Lexicon/pcm81_rev2.pdf

Remember it's a two chip unit. One chip is dedicated to reverbs while the other can handle additional FX. Very slick unit overall. Kinda sucks in mono, though, so you might be disappointed in a mono rig. Italo's presets are pretty awesome for the unit: http://www.italodeangelis.com/it/eventide_and_other_stuff/lexicon-MPX-1.asp

So, the best delays that I've owned are my Roland SD3000s. They have a warmth that is very cool; plus the Chorus is also top notch. I like them better than the MPX1, and even the PCM 81 I had a few yrs ago.
I just found any number of them for 220-300 per, free shipping from Japan on eBay. They are 100v but you can buy plug in converters; or the larger standalone voltage converter.
EVH, Vai and others can't be wrong. I've had the pair here for 5 years on, never had a problem. I'm surprised they are as cheap as when I bought mine.
Great to hear there's still some good deals on great gear out there! :)

Time to save up for a H90...
Too much "if" in the older units....
What 'if'? Never had any issues with the stuff I've bought. I've bought 5 SD3000s; not one ever had an issue. There are a few repair guys out there too if needed. The SD3000s have been around since 1985. MPX1, since the mid 90s along with the one PCM I had.
I mean, sure one could go bad..and you also might get hit by lightning going to the mailbox.
Newer is great but that unit is holy shit spendy.

For those who are going after MPX1s, definitely make sure it is equipped with the latest V1.10 firmware, or else you'll be dealing with a bunch of strange MIDI issues. Also make sure that the battery has either been replaced professionally or hasn't damaged the board from leaking acid everywhere destroying traces. Expect to replace this - preferably with a coin cell holder for future ease of maint. Verify the LCD backlight is bright and hasn't died, too.

Expect to pair a mixer with this unit, and be prepared to read the manual. The PCM81 is a much better manual to understand how Lexicons work in general, so if you're still confused after reading the MPX1's manual, try looking at that. It's actually a great manual in helping understand algorithm design in general. https://freeverb3vst.osdn.jp/doc/Lexicon/pcm81_rev2.pdf

Remember it's a two chip unit. One chip is dedicated to reverbs while the other can handle additional FX. Very slick unit overall. Kinda sucks in mono, though, so you might be disappointed in a mono rig. Italo's presets are pretty awesome for the unit: http://www.italodeangelis.com/it/eventide_and_other_stuff/lexicon-MPX-1.asp
I need to check my battery while I dont have it in a case. Mine is one of the later MPX-1s that have the 24 bit converters.

Its all very niche. I liquidated a majority of my rack items about a year ago. A Cantrell modded Fish, a CAE 3+ SE, a Deleo Spec Demeter TGP-3, a Matchless, GPR-1, and a VHT 2150. I got most of them on really good deals and the rack stuff was getting up there in price due to lack of supply, vintage status, and certain unique tones being in there that were in demand (and I was not using it), so I offloaded them. I kept most of my rack fx, the only one I sold was a Dytronics Tri Stereo Chorus CS-5 (which I sold for 3500 believe it or not).

I kept my TC stuff, a couple lexicon units etc. You used to be able to grab this stuff at half the price they're going for now. It is insane.

I think a lot of people are starting to realize that it’s not the effects that old rack units have, it’s also just as much the character the old units have on your tone that’s equally as desirable. You can emulate lexicon reverb algorithms all you want, it still won’t sound as good as a lexicon unit running lexicon algorithms. The same with old alesis gear or eventide gear. Prices weren’t going through the roof because many companies hadn’t yet tried and apparently failed to emulate the real deal. So now here we are with originals in demand again and at inflationary prices plus the same limited supply.

I’ve been waiting on a more powerful and user friendly H9 max for years, and the old eclipse was the closest thing until the H90 came out. I plan to grab an H90 for my rack and then I’m done with effects units. I have an old quadraverb, an spx90 II, my pcm81, my damage control timeline, and I plan to grab the H90.

I’ve considered dumping the rack gear for just the H90, but as has been said before, they’re getting crazy expensive to get back into if it’s something you’re looking for in inspiration.

I plan to keep my sparse collection even if it means sparingly used. To me you only have so many options and emulators of the real thing that are many times more expensive and they never sound as good due to the first point I’ve made. At the end of the day, I began to ask why wouldn’t I just get the real thing?

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are starting to realize that it’s not the effects that old rack units have, it’s also just as much the character the old units have on your tone that’s equally as desirable. You can emulate lexicon reverb algorithms all you want, it still won’t sound as good as a lexicon unit running lexicon algorithms. The same with old alesis gear or eventide gear. Prices weren’t going through the roof because many companies hadn’t yet tried and apparently failed to emulate the real deal. So now here we are with originals in demand again and at inflationary prices plus the same limited supply.

I’ve been waiting on a more powerful and user friendly H9 max for years, and the old eclipse was the closest thing until the H90 came out. I plan to grab an H90 for my rack and then I’m done with effects units. I have an old quadraverb, an spx90 II, my pcm81, my damage control timeline, and I plan to grab the H90.

I’ve considered dumping the rack gear for just the H90, but as has been said before, they’re getting crazy expensive to get back into if it’s something you’re looking for in inspiration.

I plan to keep my sparse collection even if it means sparingly used. To me you only have so many options and emulators of the real thing that are many times more expensive and they never sound as good due to the first point I’ve made. At the end of the day, I began to ask why wouldn’t I just get the real thing?
100%. Those units have unique mojo that imparts a specific sound onto an amp that apparently can't be properly emulated. The PCM 70 and 80 instantly come to mind for this. The TC 2290 also is staying for that reason. One day I'll go full insanity and put an SSL E series EQ in my guitar rack...

Funny discussion as I just got back my Triaxis from repair. It was away for quite some time, but shipping to boogie was not an option as I`m in Europe. The guy who fixed it actually retired and does not work on the stuff anymore. So it`s a hobby for him now.
Having it back kind of brought the rack itch back to me.

Funny discussion as I just got back my Triaxis from repair. It was away for quite some time, but shipping to boogie was not an option as I`m in Europe. The guy who fixed it actually retired and does not work on the stuff anymore. So it`s a hobby for him now.
Having it back kind of brought the rack itch back to me.
I noticed there’s 3 triaxis on guitar center used yesterday and that brought the itch back a little for me also haha

Have you tried to find a Soldano X99?? Have you seen the price for one?? Try any leading preamp. You have to remember that even the X99 when new was $3500. So of course it stands to reason that they would not come cheap. What gets me is that a reissue amp can cost more than the actual amp it is trying to duplicate! LOL
96'price list.Around when I bought my 88r.The 88 was way more than the 99.Dont know why.

Attachments

• 20221128_103035.jpg
    20221128_103035.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
The problem with a lot of newer gear like the HX Stomp is it has no analog dry-thru. Most of the older stuff that sounds the best had analog dry-thru, or was used with a mixer. I have been curious about some of the larger pedals, like Source Audio, who use an analog dry-thru.
Kill dry or set mix to 100% wet and a parallel effects loop is my analog dry-through.

Back