New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

There is no low end, and the guitars sound thin.

Oh, wait. I'm listening on my phone speaker in a noisy environment. I should go plug this in and retest.

Song is okay, at least.

Nah you still right, the more I listened the more I realized there isn’t much low end At all. Drums sounds good and the kick is fantastic, but it’s still missing real low end I think.

Metallica once again turns this 46yr old man into that 16yr old kid... I dig the tune...a lot.. Love the album art, production sounds really good. James and Lars seem inspired and savage as hell... and hats off to sounding 'alive' at their age with their success, scars, etc.. certainly not phoning it in imo. Good to see the white kit back as well :) I've got a good feeling about this......

It's not too bad for a bunch of guys in their 60's. Wish they were still using real amps as opposed to the digital stuff, but can't have everything.

Freddie was right but I don't mind it in some situations the digital stuff is pretty incredible!

Attachments

• 1669652545589.jpg
    1669652545589.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 39
It sounds better than anything they’ve done in a long time but to me that also drives home just how low that bar has dropped. This song has an inkling of a good old Metallica feeling to it but also seems super low effort.

In a way the main riff and overall rhythm is a bit Mustainey but Dave would never have let that main riff just sit there like that, being played over and over again without ever changing anything up or making it more interesting. Maybe they were going more for a Motorhead kinda vibe.

It sounds better than anything they’ve done in a long time but to me that also drives home just how low that bar has dropped. This song has an inkling of a good old Metallica feeling to it but also seems super low effort.

In a way the main riff and overall rhythm is a bit Mustainey but Dave would never have let that main riff just sit there like that, being played over and over again without ever changing anything up or making it more interesting. Maybe they were going more for a Motorhead kinda vibe.

Yeah I agree with this take.

The riff has potential, but it feels "unrealized"

Like they could have done a lot more with the diff and arrangement

It definitely is better than anything they've put out recently though

Everyone bitched about the Hamster overusing a wah wah in the past. Now
it's lame and boring solos?
WTF people. Give him a break and remember where he came from.

..in general, I do like the tune.
Thanks for posting it.
Absolutely it's a great song and well done!

Thanks for posting it.

Do you want people to give their honest opinions or blow potpourri fumes out their ass? I'm a huge Metallica fan but that solos sucks. Reminds me of Moth Into A Flame. That song is a slightly better song but that solo is absolute garbage. Kinda ruins the song. I'm surprised James lets some of the shit out into public to be honest. That little decending lick around 1:54 has been used 3-4 times on this song and last album. Reminds me of Billy Corgan "soloing". Just noise and screeching and just filler...

Sounds solid. That riff has a 'Prince' vibe to me. Keen to hear the rest and dive into the nerdy gear side later on. They did a great job of keeping it all under wraps. Not going to pick it apart too much, just glad the guys are all still alive and putting out albums into the world. 'Requiem For A Dream' is a cool flick.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting it.
Sorry man, it is what it is. He's phoned it in for a long time now, plain and simple. He hid behind a wah for many years because his solos were half ass and now he does what sounds like yet another impromptu solo featuring borderline beginner level whammy tricks and the same weedly-weedly run the entire neck lick he's been doing forever, which I get it, that's his style and signature lick.

I'm not shitting on Kirk as a person but he's clearly the weak link in the band for many years now in an otherwise great band that still obviously has some inspiration and fire left in their playing. Its not speculation. Go watch all the behind the scenes videos of him in the studio or even during live rehearsals. The boys are always on his ass to do better.

OK. It's not horrible. The production is leagues better than Death Magnetic, but the song itself is just a huge pile of MEH. Not catchy, not memorable. Honestly they seem to be going with this fast tempo, high energy kinda thing for what? To convince fans and maybe themselves that they're still thrash gods? Personally I'd rather hear some slower, heavier Sad But True kinda stuff. Don't get me wrong here, the Black album wasn't my favorite Metallica album by a long shot, in fact I hated it when it first came out. I always liked Ride the Lightning and Justice the best. I just feel that they would be better off doing some heavier, slower, groovier stuff.

Back