New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

At least they didn’t make it 6 plus minutes long with a long winded intro. God that shit drove me nuts on their last two. This didn’t suck and didn’t amaze. They just don’t seem to care much about building a song and riffs anymore. Come up with one basic riff, a verse and simple chorus with a sub par hamster special and out. Is what it is. Haven’t been a fan of their music since 1991 so not expecting it to change..lol if it rocks for some of you, awesome. We need to feel rocked.

Do you want people to give their honest opinions or blow potpourri fumes out their ass? I'm a huge Metallica fan but that solos sucks. Reminds me of Moth Into A Flame. That song is a slightly better song but that solo is absolute garbage. Kinda ruins the song. I'm surprised James lets some of the shit out into public to be honest. That little decending lick around 1:54 has been used 3-4 times on this song and last album. Reminds me of Billy Corgan "soloing". Just noise and screeching and just filler...
LOL!!!! You couldn't be more correct :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I just looked up who produced the upcoming album and it looks like Greg Fidelman is behind the desk again, which his productions are slick. However, if you watch on the making of videos of the Hardwired album, the way he guides Kirk vs the way Bob Rock used to push him, its not even close. Greg settles way too easy and hardly pushes KH out of his comfort zone, which is vital for any success and growth in life.

I've said it a million times, but metallica is a band that set the bar for themselves so high with those first 5 records (whether you like the black album or not because you think they sold out, its a 20 million seller so give it its due at this point), that its unlikely that they'll ever put out anything that will be spoken of in the same breath as the first 5 records. Lots of bands suffer from this. In flames, Dimmu borgir, Opeth, Children of Bodom, black sabbath, iron maiden, i could go on.

Nothing will ever compare to the first time you heard Master of Puppets, or Creeping death, or One, or even for some Enter Sandman.

Listening to the song again, I think one of the biggest problems with Metallica these days, to me, is the guitar tone. The overall production with everything else is great, drums and bass sound really good, even James' voice is on point, but the guitar tone just isn't there. At all. It's all wrong. It's close but just not quite there. The top end is all "shushy" fizz but no sizzle. and it's way too mid forward, but with the wrong kind of mids emphasized. The character of the distortion is too smeary and soft with too much sag in the mids, it's not nearly tight enough. It's almost like they're blending in a fuzz pedal in there somewhere.

If you listen to a song with a similar kind of vibe and emotional energy as this one, like say "It's Electric" on Garage Inc, you'll hear the difference, and it's not subtle.

I know I'm being super anal about this but, for one, this is a guitar forum, and two, guitar forum or not, it's hard to deny that guitar tone (or at least the end result of the guitar + bass tone) is arguably one of the biggest driving factors in the vibe of any metal album. It's important.

Last edited:
Listening to the song again, I think the biggest problem with Metallica these days, to me, is the guitar tone. The overall production with everything else is great, drums and bass sound really good, even James' voice is on point, but the guitar tone just isn't there. At all. It's all wrong. It's close but just not quite there. The top end is all "shushy" fizz but no sizzle. and it's way too mid forward, with the wrong kind of mids emphasized. The character of the distortion too smeary and soft with too much sag in the mids, it's not nearly tight enough. It's almost like they're blending in a fuzz pedal in there somewhere.

If you listen to a song with a similar kind of vibe as this one, emotional energy, like say "It's Electric" on Garage Inc, you'll hear the difference, and it's not subtle.

I know I'm being super anal about this but, for one, this is a guitar forum, and two, guitar forum or not, it's hard to deny that guitar tone (or at least the end result of the guitar + bass tone) is arguably one of the biggest driving factors in the vibe of any metal album. It's important.
Right... go back and listen to that million dollar Sad But True tone both in the drums and the guitar, you'll prove your point even more. Those days are long gone in all music, sadly. no puts the R&D into getting shit JUUUUST right to make it a timeless classic, or a "benchmark" tone that everyone wants.

I've said it a million times, but metallica is a band that set the bar for themselves so high with those first 5 records (whether you like the black album or not because you think they sold out, its a 20 million seller so give it its due at this point), that its unlikely that they'll ever put out anything that will be spoken of in the same breath as the first 5 records. Lots of bands suffer from this. In flames, Dimmu borgir, Opeth, Children of Bodom, black sabbath, iron maiden, i could go on.

Nothing will ever compare to the first time you heard Master of Puppets, or Creeping death, or One, or even for some Enter Sandman.
Yes sir. Just like sports, music is a young mans game as far as being in your prime. Some last longer than others. Ask yourself when's the last time Ozzy or the Stones or any 25+ year artist/band has put out anything ground breaking and game changing? It very rarely does, if at all.

The elephant in the Metallica room for a long time has been james' vocals. He can't do it anymore and it sucks.

way better than I would have expected. fuck it I don't even mind the solo.
the guitars need to be louder. punkrawk vibe...

It'd be cool if James, Dave and Lars could settle all the bullshit.

There's only so much time to make shit happen.

A handful of shows and maybe an official release of No Life 'Til Leather??? 🤞

Yeah it's funny bitches are always going to bitch! They're still making music and good for them they certainly don't need the money they're doing it for the love of the music and I respect that 100%!

The elephant in the Metallica room for a long time has been james' vocals. He can't do it anymore and it sucks.

For a while yeah he lost it but these days he sounds good. He'll probably never get back his once-in-a-generation voice from his prime, but he sounds a lot better now than he did for a while in the 2010's for sure.

I do wish he'd stop trying to do those 80's glam screams though. He's better than that.

Disagree completely! In the studio, he can still pull off decent vocals.
Those aren't the vocals he established metallica on. Picture if he sang rtl or mop with that vocal. We wouldnt be talking about Metallica right now.

I love james, greatest rhythm player of all time FWIW but I'll call it like I see it.

it was a fun listen and was nice to have something positive to say about them for a change, ill go back to listening to new exodus and testament now
@RaceU4her just caught The Bay Strikes Back tour finale of Death Angel, Exodus and Testament last month.

Each band tore it up and the pit was going off. It was great to see the thrash metal scene going strong.

Have to disagree, while I do personally prefer his more aggressive vocal style circa AJFA for the heavy stuff, from the Black album on he learned to actually sing and part of that was his understanding that he had to do the aggressive vocals differently or he’d REALLY not make it. For his age especially he sounds really good. Sure I wish he didn’t necessarily play it AS safe on recordings but compare this track to anything going back to Garage Inc and he really hasn’t fallen off much. If anything he sounded more annoying back then and really overdid it on all WOAH and JEAHS

Back