New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

Those aren't the vocals he established metallica on. Picture if he sang rtl or mop with that vocal. We wouldnt be talking about Metallica right now.

I love james, greatest rhythm player of all time FWIW but I'll call it like I see it.
His balls hadn’t even dropped on RTL though man. His voice didn’t fully settle from puberty until AJFA :LOL:

It's new Metallica for better or for worse. I just want them to come back with a proper Thrash album . If Mustaine can do it in his 60's then why can't they. Old Metallica will always be king though.

I do agree that the tone of this song / album sounds proper compared to the last 2 albums' weak tones. Especially the drums lol

Was just listening to Metal Militia and was thinking James must hate trying to sing like this now. Every line in the verses starts at a high screech and then lowers to normal. Watching him try and sing Kill ‘em All live has been something. I feel for him on it. His voice changed a lot over those first three records.

Those aren't the vocals he established metallica on. Picture if he sang rtl or mop with that vocal. We wouldnt be talking about Metallica right now.

I love james, greatest rhythm player of all time FWIW but I'll call it like I see it.
Yeah, you're talking about a young James. I don't know if you noticed how much older he's gotten since then lol. For his genre and his age, he's got the best vocals in the game. Still sounds incredible live.

I actually liked Hardwired a lot
I thought it had some great songs and Riffs like Atlas Falls
Moths and the title track some of it reminded me of the black album and had a nice chunk to it
This is ok , it sounds like early Metallica

Not bad but not great. Definitely a lot better than their previous few albums but still doesn't intrigue me. Don't get me wrong, I love Metallica and they made me pick up a guitar, but I feel after AJFA they kind of went in a different direction that I never liked.

Very, very gay
3BA76FD7-03A9-4F45-97FE-EBE75E1F4CCF.gif

I mean, that kick sounds great but it's REALLY loud in the mix, and might be overpowering the guitars a bit

Man I love that kick! Sounds fucking great for sure. But the black album mix was like this if you listen back. Drums were crazy loud, and relatively uncompressed, so they seemed even louder.

Exactly JimAnsell... as per James

"72 seasons. The first 18 years of our lives that form our true or false selves. The concept that we were told 'who we are' by our parents. A possible pigeonholing around what kind of personality we are. I think the most interesting part of this is the continued study of those core beliefs and how it affects our perception of the world today. Much of our adult experience is reenactment or reaction to these childhood experiences. Prisoners of childhood or breaking free of those bondages we carry."

And knowing James' strong opinions on his upbringing and his internal struggles even as of late... this album sounds pretty personal and dark... but I think with that brings light. The song titles represent that as well....

01. 72 Seasons
02. Shadows Follow
03. Screaming Suicide
04. Sleepwalk My Life Away
05. You Must Burn!
06. Lux Æterna
07. Crown Of Barbed Wire
08. Chasing Light
09. If Darkness Had A Son
10. Too Far Gone?
11. Room Of Mirrors
12. Inamorata

Last edited:
I think it is a solid tune, 7/10. Listen, I know EVERYONE rags on Kirk, but he genuinely is phoning it in with this lead and every lead on the last two albums in my honest humble opinion. I grew up idolizing these guys and picked up a guitar because of Metallica/Megadeth/KISS etc. I love their stuff, and I truly wish Kirk TRIED harder to sit down and figure something out that sounds DIFFERENT than rehashed shitty licks. He has it in him, I just wish he believed it himself.

Back