Thinking of Purging

I'm about to purchase a used vehicle to get me thru the winter, until parts are finally available to repair my 1 year old f150. (Thank you, asshole that stole my tail lights.)

I've been feeling like it's time to clean house. Car shopping has driven that home.
I have accumulated too many guitars, amps and pedals.
All of my gear is great, and unique in some small way. But much of it is redundant.
I don't gig, just play and sometimes record at home.
I could use the $.
Ideally, I'd like to sell 2 of the 3 hi gain amps I have, sell at least one 4x12, get down to 4 electric guitars, and sell about half of my pedals.
Problem is choosing what to sell.

Anyone ever go thru this?
I think, if you have to sell something just make sure you keep your fav guitar, and fav amp/cab. If it came down to it, I'd keep my 86 Jackson and pick one of my 2 USA Charvels, and my 72 Trem, 72 cab and the 1988 Marshall vintage cab, even over my 79 cab with 65s. That would be my bare bones gear. Maybe the JCM 800 4211 chassis also, since it is a great lower vol amp; and it's not worth all that much anyway.
I'd sell 1 Charvel, Greco, Naylor and Rev C; my vintage Alnico blues, 65s and my 1979 65 cab.

You would be shocked what a replacement taillight costs .
Your blind spot warning sensor and a lot of tech is in the taillights of a lot of new cars and trucks. They’re stealing a lot more than just lights. Tailgates are a hot item for theft right now too.

Your blind spot warning sensor and a lot of tech is in the taillights of a lot of new cars and trucks. They’re stealing a lot more than just lights. Tailgates are a hot item for theft right now too.
Tail lights are the new catalytic converter ?

I went from 4 amps and about 15 guitars down to 1 amp and 3 guitars and don’t miss a thing.

Don’t worry about rarity, worry about what you actually enjoy playing. If you croak tomorrow, chances are your “rare” gear is gonna get yard sale’d for pennies on the dollar.

My greatest fear is that after I'm dead my wife will sell all my gear for what I told her I paid for it .

Or something along those lines .

I don't need that shit. I can usually back my truck up to within a few inches of the hitch to the boat.
I don't think they had you in mind when they added this type of tech , it's for all those other people who would run over the boat while attempting to stop short of the hitch.

I know I'll get slammed for this but FORD = Found On Road Dead
Yeah yeah , (Fix or repair daily) is my favorite . (First on race day)

My last couple of cars have been Fords and I currently drive a mini Ford cargo van so I like them .

Yes, besides catalytic converters, folks are now stealing tail lights and tail gates, not to mention the whole car, truck or motorcycle.
My buddy's motorcycle was stolen from our hospital parking garage in the daytime.
The crime has been so bad here in DFW. Especially since all the Calis moved here. All this stolen stuff is getting sent back to Cali. It sux.
Tail lights have sensors, go for up to 1g a pop. Thieves get $100-600 for them. They can get your pair in about 30 seconds. They rip part of the wiring harness in the process, and that's what I'm waiting for. National backorder, none being made, well over a month since this occurred.
I'm highly considering purchasing something older that doesn't have all the sensors and stuff.
Should have kept my Wrangler. Nobody wants anything off that. Or even my 2011 Mustang. Pretty sure that car is still running tip top.
Insurance paid for a rental, for a month.
Now all I have is a motorcycle, until I get my truck back.
I work at a hospital. When school is cancelled, and other folks call in due to inclement weather, I have to make it. Period.
One year a tree fell on my truck. It was buried. Work insisted I still make it in somehow.
@Racerxrated and @DanTravis62 kinda wishing I had kept my old stuff at this point. Something has shifted in the car industry. Everything is tech dependent. I hate it. Everything is computers and sensors and software and apps. I just want something that starts, runs, and doesn't try to direct how I drive. Even my motorcycle has all of these computer driven choices that control acceleration and braking. I hate it. I freaking hate the driving tech nannies and anything computer controlled. This whole moment in time, society, computers, politics,...everything is shit.
Fuck the future.
Give me the past. Guess I'm like Stallone in Demition Man.

Great. So, when I trade in my 2009 pickup for a new one, I guess I'll be in for a surprise. I hate going to a dealer and negotiating.

I think, if you have to sell something just make sure you keep your fav guitar, and fav amp/cab. If it came down to it, I'd keep my 86 Jackson and pick one of my 2 USA Charvels, and my 72 Trem, 72 cab and the 1988 Marshall vintage cab, even over my 79 cab with 65s. That would be my bare bones gear. Maybe the JCM 800 4211 chassis also, since it is a great lower vol amp; and it's not worth all that much anyway.
I'd sell 1 Charvel, Greco, Naylor and Rev C; my vintage Alnico blues, 65s and my 1979 65 cab.
I can see you mulling this over, and possibly coming up with a different conclusion tomorrow. Lol.

Oh BTW, my full stack is 79 with 79 g12-65s. I find those speakers darker than I prefer. They def need volume to open up.

Yes, besides catalytic converters, folks are now stealing tail lights and tail gates, not to mention the whole car, truck or motorcycle.
My buddy's motorcycle was stolen from our hospital parking garage in the daytime.
The crime has been so bad here in DFW. Especially since all the Calis moved here. All this stolen stuff is getting sent back to Cali. It sux.
Tail lights have sensors, go for up to 1g a pop. Thieves get $100-600 for them. They can get your pair in about 30 seconds. They rip part of the wiring harness in the process, and that's what I'm waiting for. National backorder, none being made, well over a month since this occurred.
I'm highly considering purchasing something older that doesn't have all the sensors and stuff.
Should have kept my Wrangler. Nobody wants anything off that. Or even my 2011 Mustang. Pretty sure that car is still running tip top.
I work at a hospital. When school is cancelled, and other folks call in due to inclement weather, I have to make it. Period.
One year a tree fell on my truck. It was buried. Work insisted I still make it in somehow.
@Racerxrated and @DanTravis62 kinda wishing I had kept my old stuff at this point. Something has shifted in the car industry. Everything is tech dependent. I hate it. Everything is computers and sensors and software and apps. I just want something that starts, runs, and doesn't try to direct how I drive. Even my motorcycle has all of these computer driven choices that control acceleration and braking. I hate it. I freaking hate the driving tech nannies and anything computer controlled. This whole moment in time, society, computers, politics,...everything is shit.
Fuck the future.
We now live in a World of computer dependency and human thievery. No offense to any of you out there.... but I am so glad I am not raising kids in this World today. My best to the ones that are.... I pray the tides change... but not gonna hold my breath. I'm officially the 'get off my lawn' guy... and I rent :)

Last edited:
We now live in a World of computer dependency and human thievery. No offense to any of you out there.... but I am so glad I am not raising kids in this World today. My best to the ones that are.... I pray the tides change... but not gonna hold my breath.
I'm with Dime on the subject of kiddos.
"No babies"
It's just me. I'm cool with that.

Fuck the future.

My 2002 Ford Taurus ain't much, but I can (and have) fixed it myself without computers and bullshit 🤷

Same reason I think tube amps are vastly more economical than modelers - we live in a disposable world, and I don't like disposable things.

Sucks. This is why I keep putting bandaids on my 20 yr old SUV and 15 yr old convertible. Still run well, but I've never kept a vehicle when it gets this old. Truck, only gets driven in winter or to haul. But now I have mysterious ground issues, I've re done 5 grounds but there's probably another 20 throughout. Car is great but still, long in the tooth. Ugh
I'm honestly considering a 2001 Suburban for not much $, hoping it gets me thru the icy times.

This, all day. This is the new norm.
Crooks are onto it before the rest of us.
Lots more folks gonna feel the hurt before they take counter measures.
At first, I was mildly irritated, wishing I had caught the thief to turn him in.
Now, after a $500 copay, no car to drive after a month, and an undetermined amount of time before my truck is ready to go, costing me who knows how much... I'll drop an asshole in a heartbeat without a second thought. This is TX. I am armed. It's legal to kill. And now that's where I'm at. Wish I had caught that mfer when he took my lights.

Back