FM3 vs AX8

Well the complexity doesn't worry me much because I do very little tweaking and use effects sparingly with no complex setups. It's really all about the sound and feel because I still use tube amps half the time and I don't like having a less dynamic feel. That's why I hate Line6, Spark, etc. because other modelers besides Kemper and Fractal don't feel right. With my AX8, it was really great but there were times, especially after playing for a while, that I'd notice a flattening of dynamics on GBE strings with firmer pick attacks, and also a bit of extra sizzle in the high end - sort of a more insipid dynamic you get from old guitar strings. Nevertheless, the AX8 left little to complain about and I really liked it.

I had one, and hated it. The sounds were good it was just way to complicated to use
Same. I had an FM3 for a couple days, just returned it to GC today. Way too much scrolling (slow) and not user friendly imo. I’d much rather play around with my synergy stuff and real amps. I wanted to give it a try with a FRFR speaker but decided this digital rig isn’t for me.

FM3 is clear winner in terms of tones and updates, but its a super-compact modeler compared to the AX8. A better comparison would be AX8 vs. FM9, which isn't a contest because the FM9, like the FM3 and AXEIII have superior modeling. I played countless gigs with the AX8 and now the FM9, and always tweaked them with the editors...trying to use the hardware itself is always a bit frustrating. Just like anything, these can get super complicated, but its not necessary in order to get good results, IMO.

I never used either and prefer biscuits and gravy.
All kidding aside.... I'm looking between the FM3 and FM9 currently. Deciding what would be better for my application. .... or if I want one at all.

I have had all three - loved the AX8, and really didn't go down the rabbit hole from tweaking parameters. I picked up the FM3 and even though it sounded great, I didn't like the three footswitch layout so I picked up the FC6 to go with it. When the FM9 was announced, I was lucky enough to get on the list for the first wave of releases - sold the FM3 and FC6 and haven't looked back. I still don't tweak very deep, however I like having the ability to have simple switching and be able to use it without thinking about it. The added memory is just a plus. Even though I still love gear, Fractal has taken away all gas for me and I have never sounded better. I am finding that I spend more time playing than chasing tones.

I’d go FM3 for the better tones, compared to the 8 which was AXII based. Guys swear the jump in tones with the III is huge.

I have the FM3 it sounds awesome. I use it with a tube poweramp and cab. Axe 8 is an older unit no longer having updates. I would go Fm3 , the amp modeling sounds killer , very close to a real amp

Man, the scrolling thing sounds disappointing, but I don't use the unit interface too much, mostly just for switching patches, connecting to various rigs, or basic know adjustments. I was hoping mostly for a better screen that can be read easily when standing over it in bright or dark settings.
You guys got me thinking about the FM9 but a couple of things won't work for me because I got the FM3 for $999 so it's a a big jump in price, and the whole point was to get a very compact unit just for mobile practice and studio recording. The FM9 seems clearly superior in layout but I doubt I'd find it useful.
Pretty much the way I use it is as some of you described. I want straightforward amp sounds and clean effects that don't get in the way of tone. The only time moderate tweaking is necessary is to get a tone close enough to cover certain songs, but that can be skipped if I can download one already tweaked.
There is one effect I really want and it's just to play Marooned by Pink Floyd which requires a Digitech Ricochet or Whammy. I don't know if you guys can help but the one patch I would love would be a really convincing Dimebag tone from Reinventing the Steel album.

I dunno, I find the interface heads and shoulders above much of the coveted rack gear like Eventides, Lexicons, and such. It's not as nice as a Quad Cortex, but it delivers solid tones, has lots of flexibility, and can be had for a relatively affordable price, especially on the used market. Be sure to get the newer one with the headphone jack if you buy used.

The desktop app for the Fractal stuff is amazingly straightforward and easy to use if that's a viable route for use. No menu scrolling if you use that.

FM-3 its current
I have the tech skills of a caveman and use axe edit on computer for any tweaks.

The computer app for FM3 is easy to navigate. Using the screen in the unit might not be as easy but I don’t know I only use the computer program. Watch a couple videos on YouTube to get started.

I dunno, I find the interface heads and shoulders above much of the coveted rack gear like Eventides, Lexicons, and such. It's not as nice as a Quad Cortex, but it delivers solid tones, has lots of flexibility, and can be had for a relatively affordable price, especially on the used market. Be sure to get the newer one with the headphone jack if you buy used.

The desktop app for the Fractal stuff is amazingly straightforward and easy to use if that's a viable route for use. No menu scrolling if you use that.
That's a good point. My Strymon Timeline and Mobius can be pretty complicated to dial in with a much simpler interface. I don't think the AX3 is intimidating at all. I just hope it's easy to read at a glance when playing and recording.

I've had both, and preferred the FM3. I will point out though, that I'm someone who would prefer to use the computer app rather than tweak from the front, when it comes to modelers. The FM3 has better tones and you'll get all of the accuracy improvements they've made since the AX8. The only reason I got rid of the FM3 is because I got an FM9. I wanted more switches.

The ax8 has been what FAS calls a 'Dead product' for going on close two 2 years. I've owned both and currently own and have gigged with the FM9. An FM6 would be ideal. 9 is way too many for what most gigging dudes need and the FM3 is way too little unless it's desktop jamming or you only need a couple of sounds. You can bank thru and add additional external switches which I've done

As for the Ax8 versus Fm3 tonally speaking is a no contest. The FM units have had dozens of FW updates and will be far better.

As for he 'way too complicated'
1) Use You tube and the FAS forum which can be frustrating because people will give you partial answers acting like you should know how to fill in the gaps they always leave. I just keep posting asking for clarification until someone fills in the gaps or gives complete steps to complete what I m trying to do

2) Factory pre sets in general suck, so buying a small pack from someone who builds them is a great place to start. Get a tone you like and look at the amp settings, signal chain, IR or speaker settings. Just chip away at learning how to use the editor. It's very simple once you spend a lot of time using the unit -editor is key. Don't lost tweaking tones on the small screen on top.

I've had both, and preferred the FM3. I will point out though, that I'm someone who would prefer to use the computer app rather than tweak from the front, when it comes to modelers. The FM3 has better tones and you'll get all of the accuracy improvements they've made since the AX8. The only reason I got rid of the FM3 is because I got an FM9. I wanted more switches.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. I read a lot of talk about processing power and didn't think there was any issue with processing power on the AX8 so it made me wonder. But what's most important is tone and feel, and if those aspects have actually improved over the AX8 then that's pretty cool because I really liked my AX8.
The ax8 has been what FAS calls a 'Dead product' for going on close two 2 years. I've owned both and currently own and have gigged with the FM9. An FM6 would be ideal. 9 is way too many for what most gigging dudes need and the FM3 is way too little unless it's desktop jamming or you only need a couple of sounds. You can bank thru and add additional external switches which I've done

As for the Ax8 versus Fm3 tonally speaking is a no contest. The FM units have had dozens of FW updates and will be far better.

As for he 'way too complicated'
1) Use You tube and the FAS forum which can be frustrating because people will give you partial answers acting like you should know how to fill in the gaps they always leave. I just keep posting asking for clarification until someone fills in the gaps or gives complete steps to complete what I m trying to do

2) Factory pre sets in general suck, so buying a small pack from someone who builds them is a great place to start. Get a tone you like and look at the amp settings, signal chain, IR or speaker settings. Just chip away at learning how to use the editor. It's very simple once you spend a lot of time using the unit -editor is key. Don't lost tweaking tones on the small screen on top.
I've got the Austin Buddy but really, I only use about 21 patches most of the time so I just have those sequential for easy footswitching unless it's live, but still I try to use the same rig for live stuff as much as possible unless it requires some extra effects or something. Most of the time, I can get away with a dirty amp and a clean amp. Even though it's modeling technology and has tons of options and sounds, I still treat it sort of like a multichannel amp most of the time. I've got a Bogner 3534 and hope to get an Engl Invader II sometime in the next few months so then I won't be using the FM3 as much except for travel and practice.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I read a lot of talk about processing power and didn't think there was any issue with processing power on the AX8 so it made me wonder. But what's most important is tone and feel, and if those aspects have actually improved over the AX8 then that's pretty cool because I really liked my AX8.

I've got the Austin Buddy but really, I only use about 21 patches most of the time so I just have those sequential for easy footswitching unless it's live, but still I try to use the same rig for live stuff as much as possible unless it requires some extra effects or something. Most of the time, I can get away with a dirty amp and a clean amp. Even though it's modeling technology and has tons of options and sounds, I still treat it sort of like a multichannel amp most of the time. I've got a Bogner 3534 and hope to get an Engl Invader II sometime in the next few months so then I won't be using the FM3 as much except for travel and practice.
I finally broke down and got the Austin buddy too. The only thing he does that is cool is find the IR that works with the amp. I only use a few of the Marshall pre sets but they are good. I end of tweaking them all, but at least you start with a really good tone!

This was what I ended up with and felt like it was a good as Fractal gets as a user on/off since 2011 that's saying a lot

Back