I want a Hollow Body - Looking at this Schecter...

napalmdeath

Anybody play one of these? Anybody know anything about Tesla Filtertrons??

Of course, I'm not looking for a metal machine here, but some good hard rock. Nugent style. This guitar is dope, wish they still used Duncan '59/Jazz like the older models..

_200309171853_Epi_zoom.jpg

I had a Gretsch 5420 for a couple of years. It was a cool guitar but I ultimately found the body size too big for me so I sold it. It's an adjustment if all you've ever played are regular size guitars like Les pauls and Strats. Nothing sounds like them though. Maybe look into the PRS hollow body stuff if the full size hollows feel too big.
I'm sure the Schecter is a solid choice though.

I haven't played one, but i'm sure it's a nice player. have you checked out the PRS hollowbody ii se guitars? lot of guitar for the cash... especially on the used market

I had a Gretsch 5420 for a couple of years. It was a cool guitar but I ultimately found the body size too big for me so I sold it. It's an adjustment if all you've ever played are regular size guitars like Les pauls and Strats. Nothing sounds like them though. Maybe look into the PRS hollow body stuff if the full size hollows feel too big.
I'm sure the Schecter is a solid choice though.
I prefer the full size, for the asthetic aspect and fun factor! I've looked at Gretsch too, but most are Chinese, and I don't like the inlays or goofy headstock.

But, let me ask you, are you able to get the action low on those? Those bridges seem mounted to a wooden piece, vs. flush to the body, which is why I like the Schecter. Plus, you get a real Tonepros.

I prefer the full size, for the asthetic aspect and fun factor! I've looked at Gretsch too, but most are Chinese, and I don't like the inlays or goofy headstock.

But, let me ask you, are you able to get the action low on those? Those bridges seem mounted to a wooden piece, vs. flush to the body, which is why I like the Schecter. Plus, you get a real Tonepros.
AFAIK, the 5420 is still made in S. Korea. The one I had was, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It had a locking bridge as well and I could get the action plenty low. Just remember the feedback factor on hollow bodies if you play with any gain at volume.

It’s awesome when they’re feeding back. Air flows thru the holes and blows on your right arm. But the big lower bout fucked with my bum right shoulder so I sold mine. It also had a really skinny nut width that I never got used to. Had a unique sound tho.

I just wonder what the necks are like. I love the neck on the KM6-mkii I have but it would be weird to me to have something like that on something aping a Gretsch.

AFAIK, the 5420 is still made in S. Korea. The one I had was, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It had a locking bridge as well and I could get the action plenty low. Just remember the feedback factor on hollow bodies if you play with any gain at volume.
5420's are Chinese now. And, they changed to laurel fretboard. The 5410 Rat Rod is Korean, which I've looked at too..

Been looking at this one. Bet it would look better without the red pickguard...

elegqicusbapjcz6hx13.jpg

Gretsch has 3 lines, the Starlighter, then Electromatic, then professional series. The professional series is still made in Japan. Electromatics are really nice guitars. Stock pickups are solid, but I would probably swap them at some point for some TV Jones Filtertrons or D-Armond pickups. Would love to Gretsch with D-Armonds to go along with my Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod with TV Jones Filtertrons.

So, I'd have major feedback into the Friedman? Pickups are certainly low output - like 4.4k.

So, I'd have major feedback into the Friedman? Pickups are certainly low output - like 4.4k.
Any hollow body is going to produce feedback at volume with gain. I just used a gate if I was playing loud. Some people think that is part of the charm of hollow bodies. Fighting the feedback and all that.

I have a Hagstrom Super Viking and Gretsch G5622T, both Made in China, and they're among my favorite guitars to play. The pups in the Gretsch are more akin to humbuckers than Filter'Trons, so the one upgrade I might do on that one is replacing those with TV Jones TV Classics.

I have a Hagstrom Super Viking and Gretsch G5622T, both Made in China, and they're among my favorite guitars to play. The pups in the Gretsch are more akin to humbuckers than Filter'Trons, so the one upgrade I might do on that one is replacing those with TV Jones TV Classics.
Does the Gretsch have the Blacktops?

Back