Megadeth Rust in Peace Guitars only.

This guy does:
ssl-xlogic-g-bus-631x154.jpg

And this coming from someone who has mixed on digital and analog boards, and still has no computer in his studio. ;-)
I specifically bought an SSL bus comp (a Radioman clone, mind you... I do have an original Urei 1178 tho' :cool: ) for that cohesiveness and 'glue'.
That thing instantly can elevate a decent, if somewhat 'demo' sounding mix to something that sounds more radio-ready.
FWIW, my recording medium is an Alesis HD24XR and my current desk is an Allen & Heath GS-R24.

Best of both worlds. Analog signal paths, ADAT interface.
And if I want, I could mix to this guy:
View attachment 146710

For that nay-sayer claiming that tape doesn't add shit, I disagree. And for the sole reason that running quality tape in the red (on a quality deck) adds harmonic compression, that sounds pleasing to most for most music genres other than classical.
Hell, I even tested this myself with recording a low/medium bitrate mp3 (128 or 160kbps) to a mini disc recorder (which adds its own ATRAC compression) and then I hooked the minidisc device up to the Philips RTR and recorded it around +3dB. It came out sounding better than how the mp3 started!
So dismissing tape altogether, just because you don't use it is as narrow-minded as dismissing others for shit they haven't used themselves.
I started recording on multi track tapedecks in the mid 90's, when sure, things sounded like shit. And then moved on to digital all-in-one machines with instant gratification. My biggest 'secret': I was never recording super hot on digital. Around -12dBFS to -10dBFS per track. So, after summing, I still had plenty headroom and things sounded good and open; not congested, busy, distorted, like so many falling for the loudness wars-trap.
And now I use a hybrid-setup. As I acquired a simple RME Digiface USB recently, I do expect to someday connect the desk with 4 ADAT lines directly to a PC, do the tracking ITB (maybe with a few plug-ins) and then still use my analog outboard gear as well.

Agreed.

Hybrid is the way! All anyone has to do is run their mix through any of the 2 bus mix comps available at access analog and listen to what comes out the other end to know. Glue, smoothness, widened stereo field. Game set and match. The only downside to hybrid is you need to be organized and learn to work fast in the way you patch in your outboard. Which again makes access analog so cool because you load it as a plugin, get what you want and then send files for processing out of the session and drag em back in. Analog is making a come back. Analog tape though... probably not as much but no question it also sounds good. I wouldn't say better, but also really good. You need good quality tape though.

Try the 24 ch. Otari Mtr -100 2 inch tape machine and rack of Fairchild compressors, youll hear it, if not you need youre hearing checked :yes: Oh and somebody thats knows how to run the shit.

I’m pretty sure people like Andy sneap and others know how to use tape, considering they’ve made tons of records on them. It’s vastly overrated to how much it contributes to those records sounding as great as they do. If you don’t believe me that’s fine; but it’s true :) there is no “magic”, it’s the arrangement, the songwriting, and the analogous equipment being used that make the biggest difference on those records. Sure, of course tape contributes to the sound, but not to the extent people make it out to be; and the “tape” plugins are for sure a scam: unless you really love fucking up your low end and the low becoming bloated as all Christ, then more power to ya. I don’t like those types of plugins because they change the mix overtly in a way that you can no longer control everything. They do far more harm than good. In.my.opinion.

Last edited:
Hybrid is the way! All anyone has to do is run their mix through any of the 2 bus mix comps available at access analog and listen to what comes out the other end to know. Glue, smoothness, widened stereo field. Game set and match. The only downside to hybrid is you need to be organized and learn to work fast in the way you patch in your outboard. Which again makes access analog so cool because you load it as a plugin, get what you want and then send files for processing out of the session and drag em back in. Analog is making a come back. Analog tape though... probably not as much but no question it also sounds good. I wouldn't say better, but also really good. You need good quality tape though.

A Patchbay was probably the single greatest thing I’ve bought for my room for sure. It’s almost as easy as loading a regular plugin, almost.

I’m pretty sure people like Andy sneap and others know how to use tape, considering they’ve made tones of records on them. It’s vastly overrated to how much it contributes to those records sounding as great as they do. If you don’t believe me that’s fine; but it’s true :) there is no “magic”, it’s the arrangement, the songwriting, and the analogous equipment being used that make the biggest difference on those records. Sure, of course tape contributes to the sound, but not to the extent people make it out to be; and the “tape” plugins are for sure a scam: unless you really love fucking up your low end and the low becoming bloated as all Christ, then more power to ya. I don’t like those types of plugins because they change the mix overtly in a way that you can no longer control everything. They do far more harm than good. In.my.opinion.
Man I dont know anything about a computer

Just found this, and since we're here, all the solos on Peace Sells:

Isolated:

Last edited:
Anyone dig the new Megadeth album, "The sick the dying and the dead"??
I think it's pretty cool. Kiko rips it up on most of the tracks.
The new album was cool. Good to see pioneering metal bands still going strong and delivering the goods.

Kinda nice getting a little variety with something that’s not all detuned as well.

Btw this is one of the best live lineups they’ve had. Caught them at the Shoreline in CA a couple days before the new album dropped. Confirmed, Kiko ripped it up and Lomenzo was bad ass too.

Just my 2 cents. Everything Megadeth released with Marty in the band was golden until Risk... Risk isn't too bad but its not really where they should have went, I still think super collider is worse lol

Chris Poland is unique and has his own sound just like Dave. When you hear them play you know its them. Still think Marty is my fav Guitarist in the band right next to Kiko.

The sick, the dying and the dead is a great album now that Ive had months on end listening to it. I was a little harsh on it upon its premier lol

I spent last night going thru live Megadeth videos on YouTube with my gf, who is not familiar.
Gotta say, Mustaine is legendary.
He is to metal what Waylon Jennings.or Willie Nelson is to country.
Love or hate him, he is the ultimate 80s thrash metal icon. No one is better. He is supreme.

I spent last night going thru live Megadeth videos on YouTube with my gf, who is not familiar.
Love or hate him, he is the ultimate 80s thrash metal icon. No one is better. He is supreme.

Make no mistake about it, the shit megadeth was doing around the killing is my business era, was light years ahead of Metallica and slayer when it came to speed and complexity. i think if that record sounded as good as the remaster of it does, that record would have been just as influential and memorable as MOP or reign in blood was.

Speaking of that remaster, my buddy was lucky enough to get a call from Dave to remaster killing is my business. Of course there were some absolutely crazy stupid obvious production issues, but the craziest thing he said was, Dave knew absolutely every little detail of that record. Which, I find amazing considering they spent their entire budget on drugs at that time, and the state mustaine was in at that time. He got the prints off the original tape and listened with Dave, and Dave would sit there and analyze the shit out of every little detail. “Ok so you know this little tiny triplet part coming up played by ellefson” etc. i just found that really interesting personally.

@LPMojoGL The catalogue of music Dave has made, been a part of and influenced is legendary, period!

My only wish is for Dave, James and Lars to bury the hatchet and get on with officially releasing "No Life 'Til Leather".

There's only so much time on the clock to make it happen and it would be a monumental way to put the past BS to rest.

Metallica-1982-con-Dave-Mustaine.jpg

Back