New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

Yeah I don't think Kirk would care so much but James....no way in HELL he would track with anything digital. He's a total gear nut and covets his gear. It used to drive Bob Rock nuts because he would spend days jamming through different guitars and amps to search for a sound he wanted.

Absolutely. The guy didn’t even want his guitars compressed with the entire mix on an ssl g comp, because he hates how his guitars sound with compression of any kind on them. But he’s gonna use digital in the studio? Right

Personally I like this tone. It doesn’t hold a candle to the old days when they were breaking new ground with every album tonally but it’s at least got some crunch to it, unlike that weird ball-less Death Magnetic tone. If it was a different band people would probably say it’s a killer tone.
Whats crazy is that its all Recto/VH4 for James and Randall/Marshall for Kirk. Leave it to phone it in the past ten years Rick Rubin to butcher that highly anticipated comeback from St. Anger.

I dunno, I mean I loved the first four albums but the Black Album and Load were pretty killer if you treated those albums like they came from different bands. And Garage Inc was great too.

On a side note, I don't care what anybody says, Load kicked ass. The sleazy attitudes were great and the guitars hit like a goddamn freight train. They were absolutely massive and a bellwether for what heavy rock guitars can sound like. And the drums were on point. Oh and you could hear the bass.

What I'm saying is that Metallica died a 2nd death after Jason left. :)

Last edited:
I dunno, I mean I loved the first four albums but the Black Album and Load were pretty killer if you treated those albums like they came from different bands. And Garage Inc was great too.

On a side note, I don't care what anybody says, Load kicked ass. The sleazy attitudes were great and the guitars hit like a goddamn freight train. They were absolutely massive and a bellwether for what heavy rock guitars can sound like. And the drums were on point. Oh and you could hear the bass.

Agreed. People are too closed minded on this topic, you gotta take these records for what they are and the time frame the band is in. They are never going to sound like the old days, what band ever does? They aren’t young and pissed off and rage and drunk filled 24/7 anymore; what the fuck do they have to be mad about? Being unable to count all their money? Too many 100 dollar bills for toilet paper? They are never gonna write songs like that again from those days, gotta take them for what they are now.

I thought that was pretty bad, TBH.

Good production, I guess. Guitars sound a bit twangy, which I'm not a fan of. That seems to be what James has been going for on the last albums, though.

This is far from their worst song, though. I'll give them that.

I can't stand that album. I take that back, I like a few songs on there. I actually think "Reload" is way better.

Absolutely. The guy didn’t even want his guitars compressed with the entire mix on an ssl g comp, because he hates how his guitars sound with compression of any kind on them. But he’s gonna use digital in the studio? Right
HOWEVER, Bob totally did something to the low end on TBA. The palm mutes are waaaaay too smooth. Hetfield is the best but he can’t control those low end mutes/transients. Physics!!

Multiband?

I can't stand that album. I take that back, I like a few songs on there. I actually think "Reload" is way better.

That my friend is where we can agree to disagree. :)

There are some great songs on Reload but Load tips the scale for me. Then again it's really *supposed* to be a single album with each half released at different times so... potato potato.

Last edited:
HOWEVER, Bob totally did something to the low end on TBA. The palm mutes are waaaaay too smooth. Hetfield is the best but he can’t control those low end mutes/transients. Physics!!

Multiband?

Incredible attention to detail on editing and blending in of those extra guitars and baritone is what I’m guessing. As far as multiband, I guess it’s possible, I don’t know what analog multiband units that studio had at the time. But I totally get what you’re saying.

Incredible attention to detail on editing and blending in of those extra guitars and baritone is what I’m guessing. As far as multiband, I guess it’s possible, I don’t know what analog multiband units that studio had at the time. But I totally get what you’re saying.
James is a god for sure, but why do the demos have huge db spikes on palm
Mutes but the albums don’t? Obvious shit I would think.!?.!

James is a god for sure, but why do the demos have huge db spikes on palm
Mutes but the albums don’t? Obvious shit I would think.!?.!

I mean, I would say AJFA definitely has some absolutely huge wallops that are completely untamed for sure, im sure you and many would agree. But of course that was a different time, different producer etc. i think bob really pushed them into a different type of thinking and views on the sound of the band during his time with him
. I mean it’s obvious for sure that’s the case. But the demos are always super bass heavy, or at the very least in desperate need of certain resonance taming in the low end.

I find it odd and also fascinating that so many people think Kirk Hammett sucks as a guitar player and James Hatfield is a God when they both play the same thing 98% of the time in unison.

Back