Am I crazy? Is the world crazy? WTF!!!!!!!

guitarplayer

So I posted a guitar on FB Marketplace this morning. I specifically said in the add: “CASH ONLY, I have zero interest in trades. Do not waste my time asking…”Is it available?” If you see it posted…then it’s available.

Within 30 seconds of hitting the post button……..I get two PM’s…….Is it available? Both from obvious spammers which I answered..”Are you fucking stupid? 8 more responses throughout the day…every single one something like…….I have an Epiphone SG and a spark amp…interested in a trade? Yeah, dumb ass I want to trade down from an ESP to a beat up $150 pos!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I hate FB marketplace with a passion. I have sold stuff through there successfully but the timewasters and scammers are annoying as hell. The timewasters are the people who will chat you up about the listing and eventually reveal they have no intention or ability to buy it.

FB Marketplace is on another level of idiots than the days of Craigslist. What I will never comprehend, is your fucking name and pic (most people anyway) of you is attached to your FB Marketplace correspondence. It's not like Craigslist where you can waste people's time anonymously. You're basically handing out your driver's license to someone before punching them in the face.

It's just part of the joy of selling gear. Although technology changes, the level of stupidity doesn't really. Personally I prefer getting a message I can block or ignore compared to the 90's when the home phone would ring and you'd get stuck talking to some stoner about your ad in the paper.

Personally I’ve noticed in my area that Craigslist has picked back up a bit and FB has fallen off. There’s almost nothing but yard sale worthy shit on the main FB marketplace. Gear specific Buy/sell groups are better.

I think the "is it available" question is more of a courtesy thing than people just being assholes. They just see gear they like, and asking if it's available is just an easy way to start up a conversation about it. They probably don't mean any harm. Besides, it's a two way street. They've probably asked this question to a bunch of other people who said "yeah I sold it the other day but was too lazy to take down the ad" and they don't want to waste their own time either.

As for the "wanna trade?" people, when you specifically say no trades? Those guys suck.

In any case, puffing up your chest and barking like a dog at people to go fuck themselves just because they didn't follow your little set of arbitrary rules makes you seem like the asshole who's drunk with all the mighty power that comes with listing a FB ad. Give the idiots asking if the gear is available some slack. But as for the trash who offer you a Squire 3/4th scale guitar they found in a barn for your diamond-studded Dumble or whatever it is? Just ignore them. Spending excessive energy getting mad at people trying to take advantage of you is still allowing them to control you in a way. Fuck em, just don't respond.

But to your original point, yeah it's annoying to deal with all of them, lol.

Last edited:
I get the same thing on Florida Gun Trader:

1) Post an item for sale
2) Explicitly state “No trades. Trade offers will be ridiculed then ignored”, “In person transaction”, and “Cash only” in the ad
3) Marvel at the asshats who offer a trade (often of far lesser value), want uou to ship, or try to convince you to take PP “just for them”

Back