Moving back down to a 2x12 - speakers?

Spaceboy

UPDATE -- Grabbed a pair of Creamback H75s and LOVE them.

Just overthinking about speaker options. I’ve got an unloaded Mesa 2x12, moving down from a 4x12 for my gigging rig. I’m playing a Badlander in a fast modern rock/hardcore punk sort of thing, Rise Against-esque but without any songwriting talent.

I’ve got some spare 8ohm English built V30s, regular Celestion not Mesa stamped. They are tried and true, I know do the sound I’m used to, but entertaining the idea of trying something else. I’m typically pretty much always a Vintage 30 guy, that’s also what’s in my 4x12, but have also owned and enjoyed Creamback 65s and Lynchbacks, although don’t have any on hand anymore.

I do have a Scumback J75 sitting around, and could grab a second one for the cab. Kinda concerned that two J75s in a 2x12 could sound a little too scooped compared to V30s, other guitarist is running V30s in his cab and since I do leads I need to be sure I cut through when needed.

Haven’t liked any eminence speakers I’ve ever owned honestly but there’s all sorts of brands in the market now compared to a decade ago.

Idk, what would you guys chuck in a 2x12, or should I just stick to what I know fits me?

Last edited:
yep 8ohm, I stay away from 16 ohm speakers. generally I've never liked running mixed speakers in cabs in the past.

I would stick to V30s for anything moderately aggressive. You have them on hand as well, so it doesn't involve any extra expense.

The main thing that will colour your perception of how speakers sound is whether they've been broken in. If not, they almost always sound too hissy and shrill. So keep that in mind.

I second @JackBootedThug's idea, run a V30 with the Scumback and see how you like it. Just requires a bit of soldering, and you can get it out easily enough if you need to and hock it for cash for another speaker.

One of my 2x12's is loaded with a V30/H75 creamback mix. I really dig that for straight up rock/metal tones

Mesa V30’s are more musical/higher value than non-Mesa. Use those, or do a couple of Creambacks like the Suhr PT 2x12.

A couple of 16 ohm V30’s in parallel slaps in a 2x12, and I’m a 2 8ohm in series kind of guy.

If your 8’s in series doesn’t cut it, I’d do up a couple of T-4416’s without hesitation. That’s what the cab comes with stock anyways!

I have a pair of minty Redbacks FS in the classifieds. They were perfect in a 212. I tried a 412 & it was a bit much. Sold 2, have 2 left.

I’m really digging a UK V-30 paired with a 65 Watt Creamback in my Thiele ported 2x12. 8 ohm speakers wired in series for a 16 ohm load, so it’s a snap switching between my 2x12 and 4x12.

FWIW, I find the 75 Watt Creamback brings quite a bit of the smoother, more modern gain sound that I already get from the V-30, where the 65 Cream has a bit more vintage vibe going on that really compliments the modern sizzle of the V-30.

For my ears, this is a great pairing. I’m super tempted to get a pair of each in 16 ohm to load one of my 4x12s.

a couple of months back i switched from V30s to WGS Retro 30s in my vertical wide 212 Splawn Cab. They're suppose to be WGS version of the V30. While I wouldnt say its a direct replacement, its actually a really nice speaker to replace the V30. Nice and Thick sounding.. to my ears it actually handles the low end much better than the V30.

Good luck

Back