New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

I find it odd and also fascinating that so many people think Kirk Hammett sucks as a guitar player and James Hatfield is a God when they both play the same thing 98% of the time in unison.

People think he sucks as a lead player, which is ostensibly his purpose in the band.

Exactly.

And as a Rhythm player, Kirk's job is literally to echo one half of the parts James writes (and records), and lots of players could do that so it's not something he should really be given a ton of credit for.

I got bored after about 30 seconds. Sounds like something a bunch of teenagers who just found out about thrash would come up with in their garage. I really don't get why everyone seems to be raving about this... If it didn't have Metallica's name on it, everyone would think it sucks.

Last edited:
I find it odd and also fascinating that so many people think Kirk Hammett sucks as a guitar player and James Hatfield is a God when they both play the same thing 98% of the time in unison.

Kirk is a great rhythm player; dare I say underrated even (James gets all the praise even though like you said they're basically always playing the same shit)

It's his leads that are filled with fail

Last edited:
Kirk is a great rhythm player; dare I say underrated even (James get's all the praise even though like you said they're basically always playing the same shit)

It's his leads that are filled with fail
Traditionally though didn’t James record all the rhythm guitar tracks? I agree live Kirk is great playing rhythm. He’s very efficient and fast.

What do you mean by "digital?" Please describe what "digital" sounds like.

Reason I ask is because 99% of the time when people describe sound as "digital" what they're really saying is simply "I don't like it."
Not necessarily saying I dont like it, it seems to be polished sort of hi-fi sounding, definitely doesn't sound like a iic ++, maybe different on some other songs on the album. I think the video production is world class, I wish I felt that way about the sound. Cheers

Lmao, where do you guys come up with this shit? Have any of you seen the inside of Metallica tracking sessions the last decade or so? There’s still nothing but amps in here.

Yes…. They went to a studio with a neve console, to run their axe fx into it…. lol GTFOH
So they have all these pictures of amps and in tracking sessions, damn, I didnt realize you were in the control room panning the amps , is that why all the rigtalk peeps say it's a lame sound? Indont claim to know what they are playing thru and if they are playing thru world class amps in the tracking sessions video/pictures in this song , then they got ripped off, cause that guitar sound can be had with a line6 pod, BUD. Enjoy

Do you want people to give their honest opinions or blow potpourri fumes out their ass? I'm a huge Metallica fan but that solos sucks. Reminds me of Moth Into A Flame. That song is a slightly better song but that solo is absolute garbage. Kinda ruins the song. I'm surprised James lets some of the shit out into public to be honest. That little decending lick around 1:54 has been used 3-4 times on this song and last album. Reminds me of Billy Corgan "soloing". Just noise and screeching and just filler...
Yup, why does Kirk not put effort into his solo's now baffles me. And no i dont wanna hear that he has proven himself in the past and blah blah.....

Man, he could craft some amazing solo's back in the day, like crazy good solo's.

His solo really ruins the song imo.

But yes, i love the song a lot.

Wow 8 pages already!! I don't think anyone is going to care at this point as I am sure verdict has been rendered but I was pleasantly surprised. Here are my takeaways.

- Production is good but it is TOO good for this style of song. I hear Kill'em All vibes all over this tune.

- Kirk ..hey wait! No Wah in the bulk of the solo say what???? I actually thought for Kirk, that is more structured than he has ever been in years and he too is trying to capture the Kill Em All vibe. The end of the solo sounds like he had no idea what else to do and just threw some random gobble gook in there but he did well for once.

- Back to Production.. they should have gone more raw, no Superior Drummer 3 layered samples, tracked amps in a shittier room ( if they are even mic'ed) and gone for raw. Enough of this polished crap. It all sounds the same and it doesn't sound cohesive. Too much separation.

For me, Metallica and Ozzy jumped the shark a long time ago. I have very low expectations for anything, though this was better than St. Anger. I was happy, though, to see the Ride the Lightning album as a music choice on a recent international flight and enjoyed listening to it several times.

Back