Anyone try a floyd style string retainer on a strat?

Kapo_Polenton

Similar to the bar that goes just after the locking nuts on a floyd. I have been doing a ton of learning since trying to troubleshoot my tuning issues with a Wilkinson and I am almost there. First off, I had a loose neck screw. On a bolt on, that's gonna cause all sorts of issues with tuning when you bend or using the bar. Second, I put the original neck back on with a roller nut so the strings could move more freely. Now I am realizing she's almost there but the G string always pitches up. I've got locking tuners but that G is notorious. For sure I need a string tree there for the D and G string and I am thinking of getting the graphtec ones that lube themselves. But that got me thinking, why not a bar? Clamp it down so this thing is more stable. Any down sides to using a bar? I know right away one of my floyd guitars without one pitches up the minute the locking tuners go back on so I need to tune it a half step down. This is a common problem and the reason why i am ordering a bar for that one so I thought, why not throw one on this guitar. I saw a listing where a guy had taken a pro mod and changed the neck without locking nut. So he has a floyd, a neck with an LSR rolling nut and then the bar. He says it stays in tune pretty good so that got me thinking.

Not sure how much an improvement it would be over regular string trees but it might be worth a shot. They way I understand it, the bar is to keep the strings at equal height at the back of the nut.

I could be wrong but I have a gut feeling that would make the tuning even worse (having all the strings drag across the retainer bar as you dip the trem)

Locking nut in front of the bar stops this from happening

I would try the graph tech as you mentioned. Also, try tuning the offending string downward to pitch. It goes against conventional tuning wisdom but when it does slip out of tune a quick push down of the whammy bar will bring it back to pitch. There's a lot of technique involved alongside proper set up to get a non locking bridge to 'stay in tune'.

string angle is the key to keeping vtrems in tune, most retainers have to much angle so I think a bar would be to extreme but if you have it far enough away from the nut and have it so it barely angles the string I could see it working

I would try the graph tech as you mentioned. Also, try tuning the offending string downward to pitch. It goes against conventional tuning wisdom but when it does slip out of tune a quick push down of the whammy bar will bring it back to pitch. There's a lot of technique involved alongside proper set up to get a non locking bridge to 'stay in tune'.
For sure.. what I found with the offending string actually, is I silently just bend it up while muting the strings and boom, back it goes. Sometimes depending on whether a solo ends in a big bend, it resets itself.

string angle is the key to keeping vtrems in tune, most retainers have to much angle so I think a bar would be to extreme but if you have it far enough away from the nut and have it so it barely angles the string I could see it working

On this guitar there is barely any angle down off the nut and all the strings are just about same level given how flat the headstock is and the sperzel tuners which are different height levels.

Sounds like the tuners you have are intended to do away with the string trees. If you still have one on it, take it off and try it. If the g is still going out, it is hanging up in the nut slot.

The three low string would eat away at your nut when you use trem bar. Would need new nut way more often.

Sounds like the tuners you have are intended to do away with the string trees. If you still have one on it, take it off and try it. If the g is still going out, it is hanging up in the nut slot.
No trees on it at the moment.. but how could it be held up on a roller nut? Aren't these things supposed to avoid that very thing? Maybe that's why reviews are so split on these. Some people love em, others think they are total garbage.

I wonder, would one of those tremsetter string devices work for this? There is a slight pull on my wilkinson bridge meaning mine is essentially floating and not blocked. I wonder if making it return to total neutrality ( inability to go any more back/up) would solve this issue.

The bar would make tuning worse imo. That bar is really only there to keep the strings on the nut so when you tighten the clamps it’s still in tune.

Ideally you want a decent amount of downward pressure from the strings on the nut but that very thing works against you with Trem bridges.

It’s likely nothing to do with floating vs decked. Also nothing to do with tuners, locking tuners won’t help here (provided you string up the guitar right). The string is getting hung up in the nut. I’d take some really fine sandpaper (no less than 800 grit) and bend it then gently try to polish the nut slot a little. Make sure you ‘back file’ it so the strings rides off of the very front edge of the nut. Then lube it and play it like you have been, i.e. give the Trem a little pop if the G goes sharp. The G is usually the problem child.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I have a gut feeling that would make the tuning even worse (having all the strings drag across the retainer bar as you dip the trem)

Locking nut in front of the bar stops this from happening
This, I put a floyd rose on one of my strats and it now has that bar above the nut. When I don’t lock the nut the tuning stability sucks, way worse than before. But rock solid once locked.

To be fair that is whatever the stock nut was vs. metal Floyd nut so that may also play a part.

No trees on it at the moment.. but how could it be held up on a roller nut? Aren't these things supposed to avoid that very thing? Maybe that's why reviews are so split on these. Some people love em, others think they are total garbage.
I didnt see you had a roller nut. First thing I would try is some oil on the rollers, make sure they roll freely.
If the trem isn’t floating, I would make it float. I have never had a non locking trem stay in tune unless it can float at least alittle.
If it is only the g string hanging up it has to be one of the three places it touches binding.

So any point in a string tree then in conjunction with this roller nut and sperzels?
If the string sits on top of the rollers and there is enough down pressure to get a clear open string, no need for a string tree.

The old Strat Plus roller nut had two sets of rollers. String goes over /under them so again no string tree needed.

Back