New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

i'm too lazy to wade through 9 pages so apologies if it's already been said - i dig it. Like the guitar tone. The drum beater sounds weird at first...clicky? but in the mix it disappears a little until he gets to the chorus. Would totally buy the album.

Cool riffs, nice production, but I don't like the vocal composition or the solo at all.

As a single, I don't love it. Hopefully it sits better as just another part of a complete album.

Sorry man, it is what it is. He's phoned it in for a long time now, plain and simple. He hid behind a wah for many years because his solos were half ass and now he does what sounds like yet another impromptu solo featuring borderline beginner level whammy tricks and the same weedly-weedly run the entire neck lick he's been doing forever, which I get it, that's his style and signature lick.

I'm not shitting on Kirk as a person but he's clearly the weak link in the band for many years now in an otherwise great band that still obviously has some inspiration and fire left in their playing. Its not speculation. Go watch all the behind the scenes videos of him in the studio or even during live rehearsals. The boys are always on his ass to do better.
His only job is to play lead guitar, in the biggest & most successful metal band that will probably ever exist.

It's not asking too much as fan, to want to see & feel that he makes an honest attempt to live up to that.

That my friend is where we can agree to disagree. :)

There are some great songs on Reload but Load tips the scale for me. Then again it's really *supposed* to be a single album with each half released at different times so... potato potato.
True! I always said that I wish I could pick songs from each and jam them together.

Load just threw me. These days I can understand and appreciate bands changing, trying new things, etc. but I was still hoping they were going to come out with something between AJFA and thr Black Album. The cum/blood cover, makeup, haircuts, and bluesy tone riffs was just a lot to take in.

True! I always said that I wish I could pick songs from each and jam them together.

Load just threw me. These days I can understand and appreciate bands changing, trying new things, etc. but I was still hoping they were going to come out with something between AJFA and thr Black Album. The cum/blood cover, makeup, haircuts, and bluesy tone riffs was just a lot to take in.

I know what you mean, it was definitely a far cry from anything they’d done before that… or have done since actually.

I hear you about picking the best songs out of those albums though. I have a playlist somewhere called “Metallica - Unloaded” with the best 10-11 songs on those albums and that’s pretty much what I think of when I think about that era of the band.

Really the biggest issue of those albums to me wasn’t the lack of high quality songs, it was the abundance of low quality stuff that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Last edited:
Tickets IMO were too cheap for too long. Too much money out there. People want experiences. Sucks for some but makes sense bidness-wise.

I love Load and Reload . One giant album for me .

So they have all these pictures of amps and in tracking sessions, damn, I didnt realize you were in the control room panning the amps , is that why all the rigtalk peeps say it's a lame sound? Indont claim to know what they are playing thru and if they are playing thru world class amps in the tracking sessions video/pictures in this song , then they got ripped off, cause that guitar sound can be had with a line6 pod, BUD. Enjoy

That’s gotta be the most closed minded post I’ve ever seen here. You don’t have a clue, but that’s fine. If you think the sound is lame, fine, we all can have an opinion!

BUT HAS EVERYONE FORGOTTEN WHAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS IN MUSIC? THE FUCKING SONG…. FUCK YOUR DRUM TONE, AND YOUR BASS TONE, AND YOUR GUITAR TONE ON ITS OWN…. HOW DOES THE FUCKING SONG SOUND?

Christ.

That’s gotta be the most closed minded post I’ve ever seen here. You don’t have a clue, but that’s fine. If you think the sound is lame, fine, we all can have an opinion!

BUT HAS EVERYONE FORGOTTEN WHAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS IN MUSIC? THE FUCKING SONG…. FUCK YOUR DRUM TONE, AND YOUR BASS TONE, AND YOUR GUITAR TONE ON ITS OWN…. HOW DOES THE FUCKING SONG SOUND?

Christ.
I would like more meat in the guitars but as you said it’s really about the song. I think because the song is so weak all that’s left is to try and enjoy the sound, which has good aspects and weak ones. Would I rather listen to this than I Disappear, Enter Sandman or King Nothing? Every fucking day and twice Sunday. But I’ll stick with the OG stuff still.

Back