High-Wattage Greenbacks, Take 437

Rising Farce

I know the topic has been done to death, but I thought I'd revive it once more in the event there have been any recent developments.

Basically, I need something that replicates the sound--and, just as important, the feel--of EVH/Heritage Greenbacks, but with 50 or more watts of handling power to support a 100-watt head in a 2x12 cab. The amp in this case is my recently purchased Friedman SS100 V2, which sounds glorious through my EVH GB-loaded Mojotone 2x12 but lifeless and dull through the Mesa-spec V30s in the other one. Obviously I can't go too crazy with the master volume when using the EVHs, lest I burn out, blow up, or otherwise expensively mangle them with sheer wattage.

I have tried Creamback M65s and didn't think they were even in the ballpark. Too dark, too smooth, and too stiff under the fingers compared with the "wired directly to your brain" touch sensitivity of the EVHs. The Alnico Creams seem like they might do the job, but they're too pricey to take a flyer on without some firsthand feedback.

Do I have unrealistic expectations here, or do the high-wattage GB options from Scumback, Weber, or some other manufacturer provide what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

The EVH’s are supposed to be (from what I’ve heard) the same as the heritage 20w GB’s. If that’s the case I really don’t think you’ll find any 50W plus speaker that sounds or feels anything like them (at least I haven’t). IME no speakers that high wattage are as fast responding/feeling. The old 65’s & ‘80’s vented 75’s are known for sounding sorta like a higher powered 25w GB, but the 20w’s are a very different animal with their fast response, tightness and aggression. That all being said, I’d recommend checking out the Alnico Gold’s. They’re literally the only non-vintage speakers that actually have had a place for me still and they’re also very aggressive, ripping (which should complement the Friedman’s well), bright and pretty fast, 50 watts

Also fwiw, most speakers IME will sound smooth & lifeless when AB’ed with 20w GB’s (even the heritage versions). The Gold’s a lot less so since they’re also quite aggressive and bright

Last edited:
The EVH’s are supposed to be (from what I’ve heard) the same as the heritage 20w GB’s. If that’s the case I really don’t think you’ll find any 50W plus speaker that sounds or feels anything like them (at least I haven’t). IME no speakers that high wattage are as fast responding/feeling. The old 65’s & ‘80’s vented 75’s are known for sounding sorta like a higher powered 25w GB, but the 20w’s are a very different animal with their fast response, tightness and aggression. That all being said, I’d recommend checking out the Alnico Gold’s. They’re literally the only non-vintage speakers that actually have had a place for me still and they’re also very aggressive, ripping (which should complement the Friedman’s well), bright and pretty fast, 50 watts

Also fwiw, most speakers IME will sound smooth & lifeless when AB’ed with 20w GB’s (even the heritage versions). The Gold’s a lot less so since they’re also quite aggressive and bright

That all makes sense, thanks.

I've never tried the Golds, but it sounds like they might do the job. Now to find some on sale...

I took my blown 30w 55Hz Greenbacks to Jim at Scumback a few weeks ago and he reconed them to 65w. I haven't had occasion to run them with my band yet, but they sound great at home.

Not sure if they check all your boxes and I admittedly don't have the level of direct comparison others have but consider the Splawn 55w Small Block as well. I have them in my 212 and Scott describes them as 55w Greenbacks. Produced by either WGS or Eminence depending on the year.

^ he beat me to it

I don’t know if the ones they make now are the same but I used to use Eminence Private Jacks and found them a lot closer to what I expected from a high wattage greenback than the g12m-65. I find the g12m-65 to be kind of dark and stiff. Then again I don’t think you will ever find a speaker that gives you exactly what you like in the heritage greenback at 50watts or more.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like I have a few good options to try before throwing in the towel and grabbing an EVH 4x12.

I have a Gold in my little Krank cab. It's nice, but sounds NOTHING like the Chinese 25W reissues, British 25 reissues or EVH's I've had.

I have a Gold in my little Krank cab. It's nice, but sounds NOTHING like the Chinese 25W reissues, British 25 reissues or EVH's I've had.
I didn’t say they sound like them because you’re right they are a different flavor, but I meant that they may be up the OP’s alley bc like the 20w GB they are aggressive, bright and lively, especially for a 50 watt speaker. They don’t get as flat or bland sounding the way higher wattage speakers usually tend to get. Also, the cab itself colors things a lot. I compare speakers in isolation (meaning by themselves, not in a cab) and in the same cabs to get an accurate view on what they’re actually doing. This is how I became impressed with the Gold’s and all the speakers that are my keepers, but we all have our preferences

65W Scumbacks...M's, BM's ? I have J75 and M75 in 2x12 and it has vintage voicing and modern power handling. No modern Celestion can touch Scumbacks. Heritage 20W is probably my favourite Celestion fyi.

You'll probably want my M75 or BM75, it depends on the rest or your rig details. If you fill out my recommendation form, I can get you dialed in for what you're looking for. Taking the dog to the vet, probably be back around 10:30 am MST (AZ). You can call 310-833-6632 or you can send in the form. Should be able to get back to you before noon. Easy enough? Jim

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/recommend.html

Back