So Mick Mars retired....

SOTD came out when I was in 8th grade and just getting into metal. I didn't know a thing about music, but I couldn't miss his rhythm tones and his sense of feel. Even Theater of Pain got played in my car a lot when it came out, and I still view it favorably, even as one of the letdowns for that era of Motley. Mick's riffing is one of the biggest signatures of their sounds.

I don't own a Super Strat or Super Tele, but if I was looking for one and there was a Mick Mars' sig, I'd at least give it a glance.

They really are a group who's a sum of their parts. I don't care if they keep doing whatever, but Motley without Mick doesn't interest me. If I wanna see John 5, I'll go see John 5.

I know lots of you on here like John 5.
I really don't think he is that great, I also think he can be quite sloppy as a player.
I can't do his shtick either.
He just looks and seems like a total poser to me ?
I think there are plenty of far cooler and superior players .
But well I guess the cruel were always a bit of posers anyway.
So he should fit right in .
I do agree Mick is the riff master and I think he had killer tone.
His riffs are what made the band memorable.

I always thought this was a good newer song. I'm not getting banned here for putting this up, I hope.

Mick doesn't even play on that...DJ Ashba does. Ashba played on The Dirt, and Red White Crue. Corabi sued Crue because his guitar tracks were used on Generation Swine songs(Written before Vince came back), and they used it. So Mick really hasn't recorded squat since their self titled. Corabi isn't buying Mick's retirement, since he said nothing, only MC management and some lame ass statement from Nikki saying "we will honor Mick's wishes to carry on..." pfft. According to Corabi, they've been bitching about Mick for years and years.

Reactions: ZFG
Hard to nail down what it is that allows some folks to remain entirely authentic and completely cool at any age while others come off looking contrived and desperate. A great example is Brian Setzer. Every single day of his life he dresses like it’s 1958 whether he’s on stage or going to the grocery store. And he could not possibly look any cooler. Very few people can pull that off and it boils down to genuine authenticity. I caught Whitesnake a few tours back when Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach were on the tour and the entire band looked so relaxed and so cool and so comfortable in their own skin. And they played like absolute MF’ers. Compare that with the most recent iteration of the Crue with all of the pleather and platform boots and make up and the same old ’get drunk and get laid’ schtick from the late 80s and it all looks really forced and contrived. That and 300 pound Vince stumbling around on stage chanting along random made up lyrics(?)

All credit to Mick for his signature sound and extremely catchy, groovy riffs. His hooks are what sold millions of albums for that band. Vince had the keys to the kingdom handed to him - look at those early photos: fit, tan, good looking, and a super unique voice that could hit the signature notes. His solo albums were cool. He took all that for granted and threw away his voice and health partying, eating, drinking, etc. At 300 lbs with no voice, it just doesn’t work any more.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mick’s humbuckers are wound by a small company in Tennessee somewhere. I seem to remember it being around 16k and A5 mag. Sorry I can’t help more than that.

Single man shop, Jim Rolph in Kentucky. He has a website straight out of 1990 but he does respond to email... he's old school and does business by phone / check.

EDIT: and not cheap lol You are definitely going to pay artisan prices if you go that route...

Last edited:
My guess is he doesn't want any sig stuff. He strikes me as that type of guy.

A Mars sig strat would be rad though

"
A sig Fender would be the best bet. Amps, too much goes into that but a sig guitar alot easier to pull off. Fender could do two variants and keep it relatively affordable and they'd sell a few.

I think most signature guitars are created with the idea that they will sell a lot of them. I would assume that perhaps guitar companies did not anticipate a high demand for a Mick Mars signature.

But if they did one, I think the mirror Tele would have to be it........maybe limited run etc.

I know lots of you on here like John 5.
I really don't think he is that great, I also think he can be quite sloppy as a player.
I can't do his shtick either.
He just looks and seems like a total poser to me ?
I think there are plenty of far cooler and superior players .
But well I guess the cruel were always a bit of posers anyway.
So he should fit right in .
I do agree Mick is the riff master and I think he had killer tone.
His riffs are what made the band memorable.

What exactly is he posing as? A monster guitar player who gets to do what he loves for a living?

While I’m not the biggest fan of his, “sloppy” is the last word I’d use to describe his playing, if anything I don’t dig his playing because it’s way too sterile and clean.

I can’t detect any ”slop” in this.

I went to a John 5 show in Houston a few years back and it was fucking incredible to be honest.

Songs For Sanity is a killer album IMO

I don't know why but John 5 does nothing for me. Great player but there are many of those. I also think his tele that high up his nostrels ain't cool at all. Looks a bit like a nerd.

A Mick signature axe would be cool but there are a few "boutique" places doing that now and charging a lot so you are best just doing the relic' job yourself on a burts guitar or antique white strat style and throwing a good floyd on it with his pickguard and done. No need to pay someone 3k for that. But Fender doing one would def. be cool. Price it right and it would sell.

Hard to nail down what it is that allows some folks to remain entirely authentic and completely cool at any age while others come off looking contrived and desperate. A great example is Brian Setzer. Every single day of his life he dresses like it’s 1958 whether he’s on stage or going to the grocery store. And he could not possibly look any cooler. Very few people can pull that off and it boils down to genuine authenticity. I caught Whitesnake a few tours back when Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach were on the tour and the entire band looked so relaxed and so cool and so comfortable in their own skin. And they played like absolute MF’ers. Compare that with the most recent iteration of the Crue with all of the pleather and platform boots and make up and the same old ’get drunk and get laid’ schtick from the late 80s and it all looks really forced and contrived. That and 300 pound Vince stumbling around on stage chanting along random made up lyrics(?)

All credit to Mick for his signature sound and extremely catchy, groovy riffs. His hooks are what sold millions of albums for that band. Vince had the keys to the kingdom handed to him - look at those early photos: fit, tan, good looking, and a super unique voice that could hit the signature notes. His solo albums were cool. He took all that for granted and threw away his voice and health partying, eating, drinking, etc. At 300 lbs with no voice, it just doesn’t work any more.
I feel exactly the same way about Yngwie, he needs to lose the pirate shirts and leather pants.

Back