Les Paul guys - balanced pickups?

PSGuitar

Hey gents,

I have a 2003 LP Standard that I love but I am sort of stuck in a rut with the bridge pickup. I wish I had left it alone years past when it was great. I think a pickup may have died, hence why I've swapped around. I had two Bill Lawrence HB-L/R pickups die. They are smooth and creamy.

Right now I'm running a Burstbucker Pro neck Pickup and Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup. The Suhr in the bridge doesn't sound as good as in my PRS Singlecut.
It's balanced and clear, yet creamy in my SC. In my LP, the Aldrich seems congested and bloated. Not sure why.

Years ago I had a Rio Grande BBQ that seemed to work well. Also used a WCR Goodwood, Wolfetone Timbrewolf which I'm thinking of going back to.

I also had a Motor City Torque, WCR Shredder, Guitar Force Rebel Fire (I liked this pickup but let my curiosity for other pickuos get in the way), Gibson Bill Lawrence pickups and some I may be forgetting.

I'd like something as creamy as my Aldrich, but not as congested in this LP.

I know this is always difficult to answer, but curious what ideas ya all may have. I don't like really stiff or ultra tight pickups. I like balanced, fat, creamy and chunky.

Ironically, I love the PRS Dragons and Tremontis/SC250s in two of my guitars.

I'm thinking of giving the Wolfetone Timbrewolf a spin again or the Rio Grande BBQ.

Ok thanks, he is a great guy too. I've talked to him.
It's weird because my one Aldrich is ultra clear and thick and creamy in my Singlecut.
I don't like stiff tones. I like some chew and bounce.

Aldrich is very guitar dependent. Sounds tight and clear in some, yet loose and thick in others.

The ToneNerd Roxy is my favorite right now. It's just as hot as the Aldrich but clearer, tighter in the bass. Great balance of output and clarity. I have the Wicked 8 and Sunset Strip also. Roxy just does it for me the best. It's in my #1 Les Paul.

Yes in my SC it is clear, defined, thick, chewy and creamy. Great!

The Roxy is tempting me. What about his Sunset pickup? Apparently like the do it all purpose pickup.

Last edited:
Aldrich is very guitar dependent. Sounds tight and clear in some, yet loose and thick in others.

The ToneNerd Roxy is my favorite right now. It's just as hot as the Aldrich but clearer, tighter in the bass. Great balance of output and clarity. I have the Wicked 8 and Sunset Strip also. Roxy just does it for me the best. It's in my #1 Les Paul.

The Roxy is the best Les Paul pickup I think I've ever heard. It's the clearest, tightest humbucker for those type of guitars imo

It's in my #1 Les Paul also.

Here's a quick demo I did for Scott

I’d check with a tech if that HBL/R set is actually dead or not. Imho none of the other pickups mentioned here hold a candle in terms of quality of tone to that older Bill Lawrence set you have or really any of the great vintage pickups like the other model Bill Lawrence’s, Dirty Finger’s, Mighty Mite’s. Since you have this experience with good vintage pickups I’d just go for those and not mess around. I myself found all my non-vintage pickups long obsolete and comparatively sterile sounding with the exception of some of the Tone Specific pickups I use, but those aren’t high output or naturally suited toward metal

I’d check with a tech if that HBL/R set is actually dead or not. Imho none of the other pickups mentioned here hold a candle in terms of quality of tone to that older Bill Lawrence set you have or really any of the great vintage pickups like the other model Bill Lawrence’s, Dirty Finger’s, Mighty Mite’s. Since you have this experience with good vintage pickups I’d just go for those and not mess around. I myself found all my non-vintage pickups long obsolete and comparatively sterile sounding with the exception of some of the Tone Specific pickups I use, but those aren’t high output or naturally suited toward metal
Interesting.
I had BL pickups in a 1989 SG that has been sold. I bought the BL pickups online for my LP but the neck stopped working and then the bridge. It's been years, not sure what happened to them.

The Roxy is the best Les Paul pickup I think I've ever heard. It's the clearest, tightest humbucker for those type of guitars imo

It's in my #1 Les Paul also.

Here's a quick demo I did for Scott

That sounds great and this pickup intrigues me now! How tight is the low end for chugging? My issue with the JB has always been a bit of a loose and undefined low end. The Motor City Afwayu solves this problem and it is currently my favorite bridge pup. But I'd love to give the Roxy a whirl.

If your LP is on the heavier side weight-wise then get something that's slightly scooped to counter the excessive lower-mids.

That sounds great and this pickup intrigues me now! How tight is the low end for chugging? My issue with the JB has always been a bit of a loose and undefined low end. The Motor City Afwayu solves this problem and it is currently my favorite bridge pup. But I'd love to give the Roxy a whirl.

I don't really do "modern" chugging but here's what the Roxy sounds like for heavier stuff

Les Paul with Roxy ->> Larry Dino -->> v30->> 57 and 421

Listen to Adventures in micing the Larry - First Blood, part II by Daniel Travis on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/ro4mQ

Tighter than the JB and Suhr SSH+ or Aldrich. It chugs with clarity, and is a bit beefier than the regular JB as noted.
Scott's Psykes pup might appeal to you if you dig the Afwayu. I've seen a couple of folks compare it to that, both saying it's better.
I have a Sunset, Roxy, and am picking up the Psykes tomorrow.

Another thumbs up for the Roxy. I put one in a RR5 and it sounds killer. I just this morning installed a Psykes in a '80 LPC and like it a lot too. I'll be comparing them a lot this weekend.

Maybe I am losing my mind or my ears are playing tricks on me.

Today I played the BBQ in my LP and sounded great, and then I played the Aldrich in it and I like it even more. Weird.

The Aldrich now sounds perfect in it. Fat, chewy, thick and beefy. Juicier and hotter than the BBQ I had in it prior.
Now, today it sounds killer.

Back