I've got 2 LTD's, one sounds awesome...

The fact they have different pickups is probably at least part of the equation.
As someone else mentioned, setup can matter a lot for tone as well. If the strings are super close to the fretboard and feel/sound slappy against the frets, the guitar will sound thinner and brighter when plugged in as well.
But ultimately, you can have 5 guitars with the exact same construction, materials, pickups and strings, and all 5 will sound different to some extent, sometimes wildly different. If you can't get the sound you want out of the 400, yeet it and grab something else until you get something you're happy with.

The 400 series is their basic cheap model. Cheaper wood, cheaper, wiring, cheaper, electronics cheaper bridge. I wouldn’t expect it to sound as good as the 1000 series.

Ya, I think the guitar's wood has a lot to do with it's thin tone. I tried the 57 in there and it sounded a bit better but still not great like the 1000.

Reactions: ccn
In my experience you can swap pickups till the cows come home & it still won't make a dead guitar sound good.

Price point has a lot to do with craftsmanship & little to do with tone.

The 400 series is their basic cheap model. Cheaper wood, cheaper, wiring, cheaper, electronics cheaper bridge. I wouldn’t expect it to sound as good as the 1000 series.
Pretty sure there isn't a quality difference between the 400 and 1000 series. It's just the 1000 series is better equipped.

In my experience you can swap pickups till the cows come home & it still won't make a dead guitar sound good.

Price point has a lot to do with craftsmanship & little to do with tone.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly my experience as well. When you get a dud/lemon it's a dud/lemon. I've had a few in my lifetime and after spending alot of time and money trying to squeeze some goodness out of them I had to accept the fact that they were never going to be on par with my keeper guitars.

Some have the mojo and some don't....It really is that simple.

If you have to try to convince yourself you like your guitar....you really don't like your guitar.

Back