PANTERA soundcheck!

Pantera is my favorite band but they're gone forever. No Dime and Vinny-no Pantera. Will I go see this? Fuck Yea....makes me sad though. I really don't know of another player with the cred to step in and try to do what Zakk's doing and pull it off.....sorta. Charlie sounds great to me. Not sure if drums can have tone but I swear it sounds like the Pantera drum sound. Just to me on a more basic level....if that makes any sense....

Pantera is my favorite band but they're gone forever. No Dime and Vinny-no Pantera. Will I go see this? Fuck Yea....makes me sad though. I really don't know of another player with the cred to step in and try to do what Zakk's doing and pull it off.....sorta. Charlie sounds great to me. Not sure if drums can have tone but I swear it sounds like the Pantera drum sound. Just to me on a more basic level....if that makes any sense....

Drums definitely have tone, I’m gonna guess his kit is triggered with I’d assume samples from vins kit

Vogg from decapitated would’ve been the best fit cover wise for this in my opinion. Early decapitated was death metal pantera to me. It’s a tribute though and they needed a bigger name than him and the association with Dimebag, I doubt Vogg and Dimebag ever met even though he’s a giant fan of him. This is Cool for what it is, and if I saw it in person I’m sure I’d have a blast regardless.

Vogg from decapitated would’ve been the best fit cover wise for this in my opinion. Early decapitated was death metal pantera to me. It’s a tribute though and they needed a bigger name than him and the association with Dimebag, I doubt Vogg and Dimebag ever met even though he’s a giant fan of him. This is Cool for what it is, and if I saw it in person I’m sure I’d have a blast regardless.
I'll check them out-thanks!

I like Zakk (esp early Zakk), but this feels phoned in. Maybe it's just me, but when you're covering one of the 'masters', you go note-for-note. I've paraphrased or even just improvised solos from some bands, especially if it's not a "signature" solo that the audience expects. With Lynch or VH or Rhoads or guys from that tier though, I'd play them like the originals, no matter how much time I had to spend in the woodshed. If you're a guitarist of Zakk's level and you're covering Dime's parts in a band that's calling itself Pantera, you play it like Dime. Zakk should be treating it like a tribute band player would. Just my two cents. Doesn't mean I won't go, but I had higher expectations, even such as it is.

It feels like both guitar and drums are missing some of the groove, as I think others have pointed out too. I saw Queensryche on their latest tour, and they were good, but the drums didn't have the right groove either. Just like how Adler's shit sounded off when played by Sorum.

Impossible , Zak should know better as most guitarists understand it's impossible to sound like another guitarist no matter how hard you try.

Nope, and dimes swing I’m sure had lots to do with Vinny and playing with him literally all their lives much like Eddie and Alex
I remember reading an interview with Vinny in Guitar World a few years back and he was recalling the first time he met Ed, and after only about 10 minutes or so Ed said that he felt like he had known Vinny his whole life.

The parallels are amazing...

I was actually writing a post about this and then my buddy called interrupting.. it was Decapitated and the two brothers that took over for me after pantera, like you said it’s pretty much pantera with death metal vocals. I still remember hearing Nihility for the first time and thinking “this is it”

My thoughts on the whole thing are, no matter what it isn't gonna sound like Pantera. Why? Because there's no Dime or Vinny. Simple.

It's like when Led Zeppelin reunited in 2007. People bitched that Jason didn't play enough like his Dad and that the songs were tuned down so it didn't feel like Zeppelin... well no shit. What did Zeppelin sound like in 07? Zeppelin in mourning, as they should have. There was a piece missing and the music reflected that. The music that night, even the most celebratory moments, reflected the tragedy of Bonzo's death and the ensuing decades

If Dime and Vinny and Bonzo could actually be replaced they wouldn't be Dime and Vinny and Bonzo.

To a certain extent not about replicating the feel or even really the music. It's about the emotion behind it.

Accepting that replicating Dime is a lost cause, Zakk is the perfect choice for this. He and Dime were best buds, kindred spirits and almost twenty years later Zakk still pays tribute to Dime at every BLS show. For another thing, Zakk has the track record. He was 20 years old when he was signed on to play Tony, Randy and Jake tunes with Ozzy, and he was able to strike an amazing balance between replication and interpretation. Zakk plays Randy's solos pretty much note-for-note, yet he still sounds like Zakk. Zakk will always sound like Zakk. I'd rather see and hear a man honoring his fallen friend than see a kid plucked off Youtube just because he's spent his entire life learning to xerox Dime's playing.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Zakk got murdered and twenty years on Dimebag is called up to pay tribute to him. Is he gonna play Stillborn and Bleed For Me note-for-note identical to Zakk? No, he's gonna do it the Dime way and it would be fantastic.

they're playing right now in mexico.

I had Decapitated play my local tiny bar once . With Impaled and Incantation. Very fun day

fuck, i think the first video on youtube i ever posted was decapitated playing spheres of madness in NYC off my old digital camera, i just went to watch it and it looks like its gone, they must have pulled it :mad:

Back