Les Paul guys - balanced pickups?

Another thumbs up for the Roxy. I put one in a RR5 and it sounds killer. I just this morning installed a Psykes in a '80 LPC and like it a lot too. I'll be comparing them a lot this weekend.
Definitely different beasts. The Psykes may need a tweak of the amp to let the pickup do more of the work, but I like the bloom that wraps around the notes.

My R9 is around 8lb 10oz or so. Try the Roxy. It does chugs easily. I have it in another Les Paul that’s 8.2 lbs or so and in a Suhr Modern. Sounds great in all of them.
I've thought about replacing the SSH+ in my modern with a Roxy. The SSH+ has just a bit more low end than I prefer.

Today I am loving the Aldrich
Are you in an acoustically treated room? I’ve found that temperature and humidity can alter the high frequency standing waves in a room. I used to be the same way and just have days that I didn’t like anything. Since acoustically treating my rooms, it’s been extremely consistent.

This definitely happens. Our ears can play tricks on us occasionally. Aldrich is a great pickup. I have a few of them as well.
Thanks man,
I appreciate your input on this.
Today, I was floored at the tone and feel of my LP wirh Aldrich, so I may leave it and stop listening to my ears when they play tricks. Lol.
I also have an Aldrich in a PRS SC and it sounds pretty different there. I keep thinking of doing a PRS Tremonti there. I really like that pickup too.

Are you in an acoustically treated room? I’ve found that temperature and humidity can alter the high frequency standing waves in a room. I used to be the same way and just have days that I didn’t like anything. Since acoustically treating my rooms, it’s been extremely consistent.
Nope!! :)
Great point.
I wonder if that is the issue. Today, it sounds amazing. Like the perfect LP.
Is that difficult to do?

Nope!! :)
Great point.
I wonder if that is the issue. Today, it sounds amazing. Like the perfect LP.
Is that difficult to do?
You can do it relatively cheap. I bought panels from Amazon and use pins to keep them on the wall. There’s lots of way to do it

Definitely different beasts. The Psykes may need a tweak of the amp to let the pickup do more of the work, but I like the bloom that wraps around the notes.
I just gave them both a workout and I liked whichever one I was playing at the time. And once I got on the Psykes I just kept riffing and smiling. They're both killer but yes, quite different.

I just gave them both a workout and I liked whichever one I was playing at the time. And once I got on the Psykes I just kept riffing and smiling. They're both killer but yes, quite different.
Never thought I'd like a ceramic pup.
Psykes is fun to play.

I've only played the 500t, Dimarzio SuperD and BKP Nailbomb. All felt blah.

Electricity fluctuations at the wall outlet can have this affect on amps, too. Some days none of my amps sound great. High voltage ⚡
That blows. Is there a fix for that?
I was shocked at how good I sounded today. I want that every day.

IMO, you must have at least 1k difference in DC resistance to balance a pair of pickups.I just put in some SD 78's in my Wolfgang, 7.9k neck, 9.0k bridge. Great balance, and slightly hotter than standard PAF specs. For reference my burst replica has a 7.6k neck early PAT #, and an 8.7k 61 PAF bridge pickup in it. Easy to set the height/balance and if it's the tone you like, then the 1k offset is right on.

But then you get into all the other variables...unpotted, wax potted, secret sauce potted (Jim Wagner phrase, always loved it!), etc, etc. I have fair amount of pickups in a box because of this. LOL

I don't really do "modern" chugging but here's what the Roxy sounds like for heavier stuff

Les Paul with Roxy ->> Larry Dino -->> v30->> 57 and 421

Listen to Adventures in micing the Larry - First Blood, part II by Daniel Travis on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/ro4mQ
I should have been a bit more clear, I am an old school chug guy lol. Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc. No Djent stuff for me. I actually don't like super dry, tight pick ups. I like the low end to have a bit of fizz and looseness, but still compress nice and have a good, punchy palm mute that you can hear and feel.

That clip sounded right up my alley.

Tighter than the JB and Suhr SSH+ or Aldrich. It chugs with clarity, and is a bit beefier than the regular JB as noted.
Scott's Psykes pup might appeal to you if you dig the Afwayu. I've seen a couple of folks compare it to that, both saying it's better.
I have a Sunset, Roxy, and am picking up the Psykes tomorrow.

This sounds like something I'd like!

Tighter than the JB and Suhr SSH+ or Aldrich. It chugs with clarity, and is a bit beefier than the regular JB as noted.
Scott's Psykes pup might appeal to you if you dig the Afwayu. I've seen a couple of folks compare it to that, both saying it's better.
I have a Sunset, Roxy, and am picking up the Psykes tomorrow.

Who makes the Psykes?

Last edited:
Balanced pickups ? The bridge pickup is the only pickup you should ever use , that's why many guitars only come with a bridge pickup . The ones that come with two are mistakes .

Back