Interesting thing just happened at Reverb.

War_in_D

I was looking at buying one of the PRS stoptail bridges with the ability to individualy adjust intonation and had found that Arkansas Musicworks had one for $139.99. They are about an hour and a half from me, over in the Fayetteville/Bentonville, Arkansas area so I'm thinking shipping should be fast, etc.. I put in on my watch page and added it to my cart, to keep tabs on it and kind of forgot about it. I get a notification from Reverb today, that I got a special offer on the PRS bridge I'm looking at (about 10% off), assuming that the offer came from Arkansas Musicworks so I went ahead and jumped on it. I get to check out, and it's saying something about free shipping from Vision Guitars in San Jose, California?? I'm like what?!

Apparently, if you put something on your watch page that other places on Reverb sell... Reverb is letting them know that you're looking/watching, and giving them a chance to swoop in and close the deal. Seems kind of shady to me.

eBay’s been doing that too. I was looking at the Badlander 25 the other day, didn’t even click watch and woke up the next day to a 10% off offer.

eBay’s been doing that too. I was looking at the Badlander 25 the other day, didn’t even click watch and woke up the next day to a 10% off offer.

Yeah, with Ebay though... at least in the past, it was the seller of the item you had on your watch page that reached out. This was some other random seller that I didn't even know existed. I didn't notice it until after I had committed to buy and was at checkout. Kinda pissed me off at first, because when I was looking at these online I saw a bunch of sellers from Indonesia selling these, and I figure they are some sort of knock-off. Before I paid, I looked at this seller and I can see they are a PRS Dealer so I'm just about certain I'll get a genuine PRS part but if I couldn't have confirmed that, I was going to cancel.

Ive bought from Vision guitar. They had a power amp on reverb, so I messaged the store and they gave me a discount doing the deal direct. Was a good experience.

in your situation, Arkansas music is who should be upset with reverb…. That they are redirecting their potential sales to other sellers. You should let them know.

You got a deal. I’m not sure I see the problem.

Yeah, I got a deal but I thought I was buying from Arkansas Musicworks. I guess the problem I see is exactly what @mhenson42 alluded to. I don't have any knowledge of the inner workings of Reverb, and maybe they sent notification to Arkansas Musicworks along with other retailers that sold the same thing, saying "Hey, we have someone interested in "X" product that you sell. Maybe you should throw them a discount to see if they'll bite.". But, if Arkansas Musicworks wasn't involved in that conversation.. then as a retailer selling stuff on Reverb, I'd be asking some questions.

I was looking at buying one of the PRS stoptail bridges with the ability to individualy adjust intonation and had found that Arkansas Musicworks had one for $139.99. They are about an hour and a half from me, over in the Fayetteville/Bentonville, Arkansas area so I'm thinking shipping should be fast, etc.. I put in on my watch page and added it to my cart, to keep tabs on it and kind of forgot about it. I get a notification from Reverb today, that I got a special offer on the PRS bridge I'm looking at (about 10% off), assuming that the offer came from Arkansas Musicworks so I went ahead and jumped on it. I get to check out, and it's saying something about free shipping from Vision Guitars in San Jose, California?? I'm like what?!

Apparently, if you put something on your watch page that other places on Reverb sell... Reverb is letting them know that you're looking/watching, and giving them a chance to swoop in and close the deal. Seems kind of shady to me.
I had that happen to me recently on a combo amp. I was watching a couple and had 3 offers the next day from 3 different listings. First I've seen it, thought it was weird..

War in D, did you ever "click on" the Vision Guitar link, while surfing Reverb?
I had something similar happen to me, but I was just late night browsing on Reverb, and never "saved" or "watched" any of it.

I woke up to an offer on something that I only clicked on, but never saved in any way.....

I figured it was similar to when you get a Black Friday email from Pitbull Audio, and you think to yourself, "I am about to buy a specific item from somewhere else anyway, so let me see if Pitbull has it at a discount". Inevitably, you get a follow up email from the site, asking if you "Forgot To Order Something"?...

The internet, and it's covert tracking, is a scary entity these days !!!

War in D, did you ever "click on" the Vision Guitar link, while surfing Reverb?
I had something similar happen to me, but I was just late night browsing on Reverb, and never "saved" or "watched" any of it.

I woke up to an offer on something that I only clicked on, but never saved in any way.....

I figured it was similar to when you get a Black Friday email from Pitbull Audio, and you think to yourself, "I am about to buy a specific item from somewhere else anyway, so let me see if Pitbull has it at a discount". Inevitably, you get a follow up email from the site, asking if you "Forgot To Order Something"?...

The internet, and it's covert tracking, is a scary entity these days !!!

Not on Reverb, at least I don't think so. You know how when you go to Reverb, and everything you've recently look at shows up on your homepage when you jump back on the site.. the part I was looking at didn't show up there from Vision Guitar until after I had seen their name during checkout and started doing some digging and eventually looked at it. It was showing there from when I have looked at it on the Arkansas Musicworks ad.

Yeah, I got a deal but I thought I was buying from Arkansas Musicworks. I guess the problem I see is exactly what @mhenson42 alluded to. I don't have any knowledge of the inner workings of Reverb, and maybe they sent notification to Arkansas Musicworks along with other retailers that sold the same thing, saying "Hey, we have someone interested in "X" product that you sell. Maybe you should throw them a discount to see if they'll bite.". But, if Arkansas Musicworks wasn't involved in that conversation.. then as a retailer selling stuff on Reverb, I'd be asking some questions.
I bought some tires on Ebay...around 50$ per tire less than the retailers around here. Coming from 90 miles away. Except they shipped from Florida. Lol. I thought I'd have them in 2 days; instead it was almost 2 weeks.

Reverb is figuring out every way they can make a profit from a sale.
They will write code to watch everything you do while on the site and manipulate the system to hook you in.
We have seen it on social media.
We have seen it on forums. Even on rigtalk.
If someone likes your post or makes a comment, chances are you will click on it thus driving up your time here.
The more clicks, the more valuable the website is to advertisers.
Welcome to the new normal. Artificial intelligence is changing everything as it constantly evolves.

I sent a message to Arkansas Musicworks yesterday letting them know what happened. They said they were going to contact their Reverb Rep.. I'd love to be a fly on that wall. LOL

Back