Issues Getting Good Sound Boogie Mark V 90 Watt

Charvel1975

Hello all 👋 have new Boogie Mark V 90 watt head running through a new Harley Benton G412A cab with Celestion Vintage 30's. Tried other guitarist's Ibanez Steve Vai Woody guitar & Ibanez JEM70V Steve Vai Signature - Sea Foam Green and my Charvel model 5fx with EMG 81 in bridge and EMG SA in neck and my Gibson les paul special with Gibson p100 neck and Dimarzio p90 super distortion bridge and just cannot get a pleasing sound from it??

Tried again last night to play through the same setup again this time only with my Charvel and my Gibson Les Paul Special and there is just this honky, boxy flubby sound going on, sounds like there is no body to the sound and don't know what it is? My other amps in my signature, those amps did not take a lot of time dialing in to get a good sound, extremely frustrating!

Take a picture of your settings. What kind of tone are you going for? Mark series amps can be a pain in the ass to dial in, so you need to take your time with it, especially with the EQ.

I don't see a Mark in your sig. Have you ever played a Mark before this? There's a ton of info on this topic...make sure you keep the bass low 0-2, crank the treble for more gain/aggression, etc.

If the big Mark V reacts anything like my small V:25, try these settings:
Xtreme Mode, Gain 1 'o clock, Treble between 2 and 3 o' clock, Mid to taste (I like it between 9 and 11 o'clock), Bass definitely below 10 o' clock )
Presence above 12 'o clock (probably around 2), Graphic EQ on, with a moderate to deep V setting.
If that still sounds shitty, the amp is not meant for you. (Coming from someone who sold a Mark IV, while owning a 5150III 50W 6L6 at the same time ;-) )

If the big Mark V reacts anything like my small V:25, try these settings:
Xtreme Mode, Gain 1 'o clock, Treble between 2 and 3 o' clock, Mid to taste (I like it between 9 and 11 o'clock), Bass definitely below 10 o' clock )
Presence above 12 'o clock (probably around 2), Graphic EQ on, with a moderate to deep V setting.
If that still sounds shitty, the amp is not meant for you. (Coming from someone who sold a Mark IV, while owning a 5150III 50W 6L6 at the same time ;-) )
Completely different.

The Mark V is an extremely versatile, extremely meh sounding amp. The worst of all the MK's by far!

Try this:

Channel 2:
Gain 2 o'clock, Treble 4 o'clock, Middle 11 o'clock, bass 8 o'clock, presence 1 o'clock

Channel 3:
Gain 1 o'clock, Treble 2 o'clock, Middle 11 o'clock, bass 7 o'clock, presence 2 o'clock.

Keep the master around 10 o'clock or more

I see you have a brand-new cab... it could be the speakers aren't broken in yet as well.

Last edited:
I had the 25 and I also had a hard time finding a sound that I liked I ended up liking channel one dimed on the gain.

I didn’t jive with my MK V either. I tried, but too much going on in that amp in my opinion. I got a lot of “decent” tones, but nothing great for sure. I was still in my band at this time, so I was juicing it pretty good.

Personally, I wouldn’t give up on it without checking your tubes. Power tubes first. It’s easy to get frustrated right off the bat and overlook the obvious.

Use Extreme mode.

Push some volume.

Treble high, Mids mid, Bass low.

V shape, put 750 to the bottom and then pull up while playing to get it where you like it.

Presence off, roll up while you're playing. Adjust the 6600 slider at the end.

Completely different.

The Mark V is an extremely versatile, extremely meh sounding amp. The worst of all the MK's by far!
What is completely different? The V compared to the IV, the V:25 or the EVH?

As I said, if those settings are not your thing, you'll probably won't like the amp anyway.
By the way, I'm currently A/B/C/D-ing 4 different 2x12 cabs at home and some of the differences are huge. Pairing the right cab with an amp makes all the difference. Some cabs & speakers do vintage, syrupy 'woody' tones better, but those may just as well sound lacklustre for tight high gain crushing stuff. And vice versa, the speakers that excel for high gain tight, modern stuff, may lack a lot of character for other applications.
Just my 2ct.

What is completely different? The V compared to the IV, the V:25 or the EVH?

As I said, if those settings are not your thing, you'll probably won't like the amp anyway.
By the way, I'm currently A/B/C/D-ing 4 different 2x12 cabs at home and some of the differences are huge. Pairing the right cab with an amp makes all the difference. Some cabs & speakers do vintage, syrupy 'woody' tones better, but those may just as well sound lacklustre for tight high gain crushing stuff. And vice versa, the speakers that excel for high gain tight, modern stuff, may lack a lot of character for other applications.
Just my 2ct.
The V and V25. Their modes and controls are different. They aren't the same.

I had a few V25's and liked them better than the V I had. JP2cs I had were better than V. My 2 old III's and current IV SMOKE them.

Last edited:
My MKV is one of the tighter, punchiest amps I’ve played. Boxy and flubby are the opposite of what it does. Now I can get people not liking the overall tone or the nitty gritty of getting into it’s sound but it sounds more like there’s something wrong with the amp or some weird setting. Also may just hate that particular cabinet.

I’ve not heard a lot of good things about the V.
It goes in waves. I have read many times about people preferring the V to the IV and vise versa. Start a thread in a few months about how the V is better than the III or IV and you will have many who will agree.

As to this particular thread, I would try a different cab. @Charvel1975 try it through your 212 with mesa V30s.

Back