HS pickup config appreciation thread!

I have a Charvel Henrik and hated the neck pup, too bright and very low output. I currently have a Duncan Classic Strat Plus in it, but I want more and it’s still a bit bright. Think Sykes, Aldrich… help me guys… I don’t want a humbucker, didn’t like the Lil’59. Prefer not to have rails…

I have a Charvel Henrik and hated the neck pup, too bright and very low output. I currently have a Duncan Classic Strat Plus in it, but I want more and it’s still a bit bright. Think Sykes, Aldrich… help me guys… I don’t want a humbucker, didn’t like the Lil’59. Prefer not to have rails…

Duncan Quarter Pound is a good option. Fat and powerful for a single coil

Duncan Quarter Pound is a good option. Fat and powerful for a single coil

No brainer.. Quarter Pound ( just got one in my Demartini pro mod) or Dimarzio chopper which is in my other two H-S which I will post a photo of soon. You get the warmth and chewiness but still can cut through enough. I don't know what they were thinking mismatching that single in the Henrik signature version. They should at least have put an HS-3 in it so that it filled out with gain. HS-3 would also be a good option but it is underpowered meaning you might have to play with more gain on the bridge pup to compensate or kick in a boost.

Don't rule out the Duncan Custom Staggered either for a fatter, bolder single coil.

@Devin I actually had a Chopper in the neck position of that Cali of mine as well! :cheers: Probably the best Dimarzio for that guitar, save maybe a lil Screamin' Demon, if the larger one is anything to go by. I wanted to go for that John Norum-like tone.
Had a SDS in the neck and an Air Norton S as well, and both were too thick sounding. The Chopper was more balanced.

Don't rule out the Duncan Custom Staggered either for a fatter, bolder single coil.

@Devin I actually had a Chopper in the neck position of that Cali of mine as well! :cheers: Probably the best Dimarzio for that guitar, save maybe a lil Screamin' Demon, if the larger one is anything to go by. I wanted to go for that John Norum-like tone.
Had a SDS in the neck and an Air Norton S as well, and both were too thick sounding. The Chopper was more balanced.

FS1 is the way to go if you want the Norum sound but some times I am too much of a poosay to handle the hum!

GL-500k from '02-'03 with a SD The Hunter pickup and Floyd Special poached from another guitar

(Wicked Sensation pseudo-rig: cab has Greenbacks X EVH Celestions, SLO modded Jet City, and 2204 Marsha clone for those curious)

PXL_20220305_211733038.PORTRAIT.jpg

GL-500k from '02-'03 with a SD The Hunter pickup and Floyd Special poached from another guitar

(Wicked Sensation pseudo-rig: cab has Greenbacks X EVH Celestions, SLO modded Jet City, and 2204 Marsha clone for those curious)

View attachment 148603

beautiful rig.. wish they would do another run of those guitars. ESP had gone hot and heavy on Lynch but really cooled in the last 5 years. His sig stuff is great though!

Here are my 3 girls... the koa top one doesn't hold a tuning for shit but she's perty'. I will probably get a floyd or try that nut buster locking nut.

Attachments

• 20221206_150605.jpg
    20221206_150605.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 59
I had the Quarter Pounder but didn’t like the tone. I’m happy to use a stacked single of course.

I remembered this Thread but thought it was about a HSS config.
That said, I finally have a HSS on the way. NEVER owned one in my life. I've always craved a Single Neck tones like you get in a Strat but could never get there splitting my Humbuckers..
Hopefully this Axe will deliver.

Here are a few of mine.

Attachments

• 1D2AD34D-15C7-4FA4-83F8-34DC00F993AB.jpeg
    1D2AD34D-15C7-4FA4-83F8-34DC00F993AB.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 1AF48FAC-7247-4470-8B68-F96996A85EF4.jpeg
    1AF48FAC-7247-4470-8B68-F96996A85EF4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 4E7B7F4E-1CCE-472B-96F7-C153DFB90FC1.jpeg
    4E7B7F4E-1CCE-472B-96F7-C153DFB90FC1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
I will accept it

I also wanna say that I am all about the top loaded floyd NO route. If I have to have a floyd trem type, I don't want no stinking route.
Brian Moore i2, JB (333k ohm resistor from hot to ground), relic’d Phat Cat with A4 mags, 500k pots, .015 Orange Drop cap ‘50’s style.
345B88D5-4627-4244-8689-1BB2597BDDC5.jpeg

I may put the cover back on that JB. I dunno, what say ye brethren? White on cream ftw or matching nickel cover ftmfw?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remembered this Thread but thought it was about a HSS config.
That said, I finally have a HSS on the way. NEVER owned one in my life. I've always craved a Single Neck tones like you get in a Strat but could never get there splitting my Humbuckers..
Hopefully this Axe will deliver.
So I buy this Axe on Reverb Friday night.. Dude writes I'll send it out on Monday, have a great weekend.
Wait all weekend for shipping confirmation and I get a full refund email today.
Guy writes back talking about I'm moving next weekend and I can't afford to ship it.. What an asshole.
I'm probably better off because only a dope would sell something they can't afford to ship and there would be more bullshit attached to it..
But I'm still pissed.. :ROFLMAO:
(n):mad:

Back