If You Could Resurrect an Old Amp Manufacturer??

ToneNerd. Dude went down the pickup winding rabbit hole and hasn’t come back. :ROFLMAO:
I’m actually taking a seasonal break after this weekend and want to complete a new personal amp over my 17 day holiday break. Amps just cost so much money upfront to build and not a lot of profit margin to compete with the stable boutique guys like Friedman, etc. Also, you have the guys that are more techy and less business and the later is actually the more important part.

For me, I’ve always been too self conscious and worry about what if someone doesn’t like my product. It’s not about feelings at all. I simply never want someone pay for something and not like it. And if you’re not a household name, that person is going to have trouble moving it and if they do it will be at a loss. Pickups are the perfect price point. Most can afford them, if they don’t like it, join the club with the household name that people don’t like too. And if someone fees so compelled to ask for a refund, $80 is easier to refund than $1000 plus. Pickups are more rugged and less prone to failure. I literally have enough stock to do 20 pickups at any given time. I can get all of my parts from 2-3 vendors compared to spending hours looking for amp parts, hardware store runs, etc.

He spent a ton of money trying to productionize the amps and the market didn’t support the investment so he went under. It was business reasons.
And not many dared work on those, if you could find anyone besides DAR.
That painted them into a corner with no paint left.

Back