18 years ago today

Markedman

Although I never was able to meet or party with Dime, I still miss him and I’ve always felt a connection to him! RIP gone too soon, far beyond driven!
Back in 2004, I would check the drudge report when I woke up in the morning, and when I saw the headline that a heavy-metal guitar player had been killed, for some reason I knew it was Dime.
I’m bawling my eyes out right now, it’s almost impossible to write this post.

Last edited:
omg i was sitting here looking at the date on my windows 11 screen going "i know there is something about december 8th...." thats it.
I was in an AIM chatroom that night and someone kinda blurted out that dime was shot on stage tonight, and everyone thought it was like the worst troll ever, until the news spread.

About 7 am december 9th my wife calls my cell cause Im driving home from 3rd shift job and I answer and the first thing she says " was dimebags last name abbott" and right that second I knew he was gone because she referred to him in the past tense. My heart broke cause he was my hero and I have thought of him almost everyday since. I can never support this new pantera cause without dime and vince its not pantera E.O.S.

Sadly, December 8th is also the day John Lennon was murdered :no: I think Dimebags murder hits most of us more due to our age but nontheless, December 7th and 8th are sad calendar days.

I remember driving to work and my best friend calling me and telling me about this. Loved Pantera, what a sad day.

Can't believe it's been that long I remember it like yesterday. Good day to break this out and give it another watch.

Attachments

• 20221208_070314.jpg
    20221208_070314.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
I was with a friend when I heard the news. He looked at me and asked if I'm ok. Obviously, the news had hit me in the guts.

Sad day.

Whatever happened to the asshole that shot him?

They say never meet your heroes cause you may not like them in real life or whatever. Never ever have I heard even one story of someone who didnt like darrell after meeting him in real life . Wish I was fortunate enough but at least got to see pantera live 5 or 6 times. Dime you bad mutha, we miss you everyday. Real heroes never die. F.T.W.

That long ago hey, I remember it clearly. Oddly, I was just jamming out "Mouth For War" and "I'm Broken" on one of my guitars and didn't have a clue it was the anniversary of his death. RIP Dimebag

I remember waking up with a hangover to my phone going apeshit, first text I saw was from my drummer and I just remember reading “They killed Dimebag homie” and just being so confused, the initial grogginess of waking up, mixed with the previous night’s shenanigans trying to figure out what my drummer was saying. Read some more texts and it started making “sense” (however one could make sense of that situation), turned on the TV and right there on the news it was being discussed.

I never met him and my first introduction to Pantera was the Watch It Go vid in ‘98 or so when I was 15. He didn’t just influence me as a guitar player, but as a person even more so than the playing. I was enamored with the dude before I even heard a full Pantera song; the pranks, the fun-loving attitude and of course the playing. That dude used the whole planet as his party spot. I went from being a moody teenager to soaking up all the fun and not being too cool to laugh and have a good time every chance I got, something I still hold onto as much as I possibly can as an adult.

It’s bullshit he’s not here anymore, but I’m extremely grateful for the mark he made when he was.

RIP, brother and getcha pull!!!

Back