18 years ago today

I remember waking up with a hangover to my phone going apeshit, first text I saw was from my drummer and I just remember reading “They killed Dimebag homie” and just being so confused, the initial grogginess of waking up, mixed with the previous night’s shenanigans trying to figure out what my drummer was saying. Read some more texts and it started making “sense” (however one could make sense of that situation), turned on the TV and right there on the news it was being discussed.

I never met him and my first introduction to Pantera was the Watch It Go vid in ‘98 or so when I was 15. He didn’t just influence me as a guitar player, but as a person even more so than the playing. I was enamored with the dude before I even heard a full Pantera song; the pranks, the fun-loving attitude and of course the playing. That dude used the whole planet as his party spot. I went from being a moody teenager to soaking up all the fun and not being too cool to laugh and have a good time every chance I got, something I still hold onto as much as I possibly can as an adult.

It’s bullshit he’s not here anymore, but I’m extremely grateful for the mark he made when he was.

RIP, brother and getcha pull!!!
Amen!

I remember reading a story years ago about a kid who met dime at a music store meet and greet. Dime asked the kid if he played and the kid said his dad was gonna get him a guitar when he got a job.

Dime heard that and grabbed the manager of the music store and told him to not let the kid or his dad leave.
After the meet and greet was over Dime took the kid and let him pick any guitar in the store. The kid picked a strat. Dime paid for it and an amp and all the stuff he would need.

That was Dime. I was a fan of pantera, he wasnt one of my influences or heroes but goddamn, he was a good person. And yeah, he could play his ass off.

Just watched one of the new pantera concerts then watched minneapolis 2-20-2001 show and it was like yes I can feel this in my soul,this is the real pantera. I dont have a problem with a tribute but dont call it pantera call it vdop or cfh or whatever. Also the songs are tuned too low and I know its cause phils voice is lower but it dont have that definition and razor asswhoopin tone and wall of sound that darrell had. And I love zakk but he aint got the swing and swagger dime had: rant over!

Pantera came about right about when I had become distanced from metal because it seemed to be fading, at least to me. But they brought it real and sort of saved it for me.

The whole nature of his death is just infuriating even to this day.

Crazy , almost 20 years. It still seems like such a surreal crime. I mean what are the odds? In the end one loonie made the decision due to some story he created for himself much like the dude who shot Lennon did. An act which they would probably take back a 1000 times when they were on their meds and conditions in check. Very sad and also very violent. Imagine seeing your brother go like that totally helpless to do anything yourself. Such a unique player in the world of metal.. Phil's vocals were shit by the end but Dime continued to grind out awesome riffs.

I remember waking up with a hangover to my phone going apeshit, first text I saw was from my drummer and I just remember reading “They killed Dimebag homie” and just being so confused, the initial grogginess of waking up, mixed with the previous night’s shenanigans trying to figure out what my drummer was saying. Read some more texts and it started making “sense” (however one could make sense of that situation), turned on the TV and right there on the news it was being discussed.

I never met him and my first introduction to Pantera was the Watch It Go vid in ‘98 or so when I was 15. He didn’t just influence me as a guitar player, but as a person even more so than the playing. I was enamored with the dude before I even heard a full Pantera song; the pranks, the fun-loving attitude and of course the playing. That dude used the whole planet as his party spot. I went from being a moody teenager to soaking up all the fun and not being too cool to laugh and have a good time every chance I got, something I still hold onto as much as I possibly can as an adult.

It’s bullshit he’s not here anymore, but I’m extremely grateful for the mark he made when he was.

RIP, brother and getcha pull!!!

Just on a side note, how awesome is that quote? " Getcha pull" .. I've seen it on shirts and it is totally badass. He was incredible with those pulls too. So musical. Not many musicians get an awesome tag line like that.

I spent alot of time at the Alrosa Villa . That day ruined alot of lives and the club owners the Cautela family were never the same . So sad .

I met he and Vinnie the summer of ‘04.

Met the rest of the band back in ‘95.

Dime was cool af. Told him a lot of my girl students were learning Pantera and he said “Whole lot better’n that rap shit, ain’t no guitar in that!”

Fuckin’ getcha pull!

I spent alot of time at the Alrosa Villa . That day ruined alot of lives and the club owners the Cautela family were never the same . So sad .

Me too. Saw DT on the Images and Words tour there. Zakk on the first BLS tour too. Cabs on stage blowing your hair back.

Just on a side note, how awesome is that quote? " Getcha pull" .. I've seen it on shirts and it is totally badass. He was incredible with those pulls too. So musical. Not many musicians get an awesome tag line like that.

Much like the word ‘fuck’, it can be used in so many situations!

I wasn't into Pantera at the time. I knew of them but just hadn't really come around yet. Was really into Megadeth. Junior in HS.

My pre-calc teacher was fighting to hold back tears the next day. He was still in his early 20's and a huge prog and metal head. Dime was just huge for him. He very much encouraged my guitar playing and would let me come by after school or during lunch period to jam with him.

Seeing how shook he was from Dime's murder is what made me get into Pantera, because if this could have such a huge impact on this guy who I respected that much, then they were worth a deep listen.

RIP

I remember reading a story years ago about a kid who met dime at a music store meet and greet. Dime asked the kid if he played and the kid said his dad was gonna get him a guitar when he got a job.

Dime heard that and grabbed the manager of the music store and told him to not let the kid or his dad leave.
After the meet and greet was over Dime took the kid and let him pick any guitar in the store. The kid picked a strat. Dime paid for it and an amp and all the stuff he would need.

That was Dime. I was a fan of pantera, he wasnt one of my influences or heroes but goddamn, he was a good person. And yeah, he could play his ass off.

There was another story along those lines; he was doing a signing and a GC or Sam Ash had a bunch of his wahs for people to have signed, I can’t remember the details, but there was confusion over the wahs in regards to people needing to buy them or not, like the kid the story is about won a contest or something and didn’t think he had to pay for the wah. So he gets it signed by Dime and tries to leave, the staff stopped him and tried making him pay, the kid’s dad was broke and was going back and forth with the staff regarding the confusion aspect, Dime heard it, got pissed off, walked over and put the wah in the kid’s hand and said something like “They’re my fucking pedals, bro, and you’re giving this guy a hard time? What the fuck?” then told the kid to go home and enjoy it.

I tried finding the story but came up empty, I know I read it not too long ago, I think the kid it happened to was telling it. Such a good fucking dude.

Edit- I remember now; they had a bunch of pedals they were giving away but ran out of them, so Dime just grabbed one from a display case or whatever and signed it for the kid, that’s where the confusion aspect came from.

Last edited:
There was another story along those lines; he was doing a signing and a GC or Sam Ash had a bunch of his wahs for people to have signed, I can’t remember the details, but there was confusion over the wahs in regards to people needing to buy them or not, like the kid the story is about won a contest or something and didn’t think he had to pay for the wah. So he gets it signed by Dime and tries to leave, the staff stopped him and tried making him pay, the kid’s dad was broke and was going back and forth with the staff regarding the confusion aspect, Dime heard it, got pissed off, walked over and put the wah in the kid’s hand and said something like “They’re my fucking pedals, bro, and you’re giving this guy a hard time? What the fuck?” then told the kid to go home and enjoy it.

I tried finding the story but came up empty, I know I read it not too long ago, I think the kid it happened to was telling it. Such a good fucking dude.
Never heard a negative story about him aside from coming out of phil and rex, fuck those guys. He was down to earth and for real. You gotta respect that.

Back