Dead EMG's..

midnightlaundry

I decided to reinstall EMG's in my battle proven Ibanez..
To my disgust, 2 out of 3 are DEAD.. They only sat in a box in my Closet after I removed them and never seen the light of day until now.
Did I say they are fuckin' DEAD??
WTF?
Does anyone have any sorcery to bring them back?

I have a lot of cool tools and the hammer has always been my favorite, I could go on but you know where this is headed...

You did try a new battery, u never detailed that so we gotta ask. Never heard of these failling like this.

Plug in style or solder style? Maybe the connectors are corroded or oxidized. I’d probably spray some contact cleaner on the connectors and use a mini pipe cleaner to clean them up.

crying-tears-toddler-sad-baby-unhappy.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Confirmed failure.
They are solderless, so I can just plug into the known working Harness..
They act like the preamp is dead or the battery is disconnected.
Total horseshit.

Are they indexed the right way in the harness? Don't make us come over and make it happen. Gary is on the right track, make sure those connections are clean and properly connected.

I've had an emg 85 go bad many years ago, had it in a guitar for 15 years and the pre-amp finally decided to leave the building.

They have a 2-year warranty and that's it. They are much older that that. I won't waste my time. I'll just cry here..
I have OG 85/60 in my Model V from the 80's that still work..

This Guitar was routed for 707's when they 1st came out way back in the day, so it needs to be the big Soapbar form factor. SD offer some Passives in the Soapbar size so that's what I had in there for a bit.
But the stockers in my Schecter Apocalypse crush them, so I figure I would put the EMGs back in the Ibanez to have an all EMG guitar again..
I'm thinking maybe a 57-7 for the Bridge. I still have a 707TWX that fuckin works in the Neck. LOL

The 2 pickups that died in their sleep were another 707TWX and an 85X-7..
Last night I wired it up for 2-707TWX's for the versatility which is when I quickly figured out the 1 was dead. It was easy to just unplug the Pickups and swap them to the Harnesses already wired in. The 1 it definitely dead. I had the 85-7X sitting around and was going to settle for that. Wired it in... DEAD.
Fuck..

I had an early quick connect EMG and hand to God either the run of printed directions were wrong or they got a run of quick connect input jacks were made backwards. I plugged everything in exactly per the diagram, and the pickups were dead. I F’d with it for over an hour and ultimately swapped the tabs on the input Jack out of desperation. Everything worked perfect at that point.

Last edited:
I've had an emg 85 go bad many years ago, had it in a guitar for 15 years and the pre-amp finally decided to leave the building.
That's what I'm wondering with the EMG-81 that's in my Charvel, was the pickup that was in the guitar when I got it in the 90's. I replaced with new 9 volt battery and sounds all weak and thin??

I've actually had more than one EMG fail over the years.. I bought a Gilmore Pickgaurd with a dead SA Single Coil.. I also had a bad 707 that was microphonic as they said because it sounded like frying bacon..

I have a 57-7 coming. Hopefully there will be no problems.. The guitar is already wired, so I can just plug it in. A demo clip will be in order..

That's what I'm wondering with the EMG-81 that's in my Charvel, was the pickup that was in the guitar when I got it in the 90's. I replaced with new 9 volt battery and sounds all weak and thin??
Sounds like something wrong with the output jack, where i've seen it only have like half the volume or output. However I'm sure these pickups fail in different ways so that could be.

Back