My Favorite Zakk era...

He was just so on fire here back in 93. I still think he's a monster player and much respect to him, but I really miss this era as well as the No More Tears material which was so bad ass!

Agreed... his best years are well past him. Used to be so sharp and combined his speed and phrasing amazingly well. Worst thing he ever did was get his hands on a vibe pedal.

Agreed... his best years are well past him. Used to be so sharp and combined his speed and phrasing amazingly well. Worst thing he ever did was get his hands on a vibe pedal.

I completely agree with this, lol........just like Kirk from Metallica, with his wah. They should have done an intervention on Zakk and Kirk, and taken those pedals away from them a loooong time ago.

I completely agree with this, lol........just like Kirk from Metallica, with his wah. They should have done an intervention on Zakk and Kirk, and taken those pedals away from them a loooong time ago.
Many players have that one effect that consumes them.....Lynch and the phaser!

Wow. Hadn’t ‘forgotten’ how dam good he was at this era, but it sure was nice to be reminded. If I could have played like that for just one day…

There are certainly players who's music I like better, but nobody inspires me like Zakk. His whole attitude of "keep it simple and just make it happen" keeps me motivated.

I have always loved that he used his Norlin lps and his own brand continues to utilize maple necks. I know for most Gibson purists, the Norlin era is their most hated. I have never had good luck with mahogany neck stability. 3 piece maple necks are super stable. I wish there were more companies doing their lp copies like that. I love Zakk’s playing, but his guitar finishes are so unique to him and not my thing.

I have always loved that he used his Norlin lps and his own brand continues to utilize maple necks. I know for most Gibson purists, the Norlin era is their most hated. I have never had good luck with mahogany neck stability. 3 piece maple necks are super stable. I wish there were more companies doing their lp copies like that. I love Zakk’s playing, but his guitar finishes are so unique to him and not my thing.
Norlins are my favorite....but I'm a weirdo....

I loved his playing on Ozzmosis, as well. “Perry Mason” might be the last song he ever did that had the same ferocity to it as his previous playing did.

I had just started playing guitar when Ozzmosis came out, I remember seeing the “Perry Mason” video and thinking “This guitar player is fucking crazy! I can’t even keep up with what’s going on!” Pun intended, it sounded so fuckin’ wild to me, the pinch harmonics and everything he was playing in the chorus. I had no fucking clue how he was doing that stuff, I was playing for maybe a year, probably less, but I knew I wanted to be able to do it!

That was truly his golden era for sure. I loved his playing back then. It was razor sharp. As time went on he changed a lot but he is still a killer player. His brand of guitars are horrible looking to me but that is just my opinion. Others may love them. Everyone gets old and loses a little off their fastball......the only guys that don't are dead.

That was truly his golden era for sure. I loved his playing back then. It was razor sharp. As time went on he changed a lot but he is still a killer player. His brand of guitars are horrible looking to me but that is just my opinion. Others may love them. Everyone gets old and loses a little off their fastball......the only guys that don't are dead.

Yeah those Wylde guitars are abominations. Just look terrible but do represent how his playing sounds and feels now too. Just chaotic and all over the place. I bet mid 90's Zakk would have done a really cool job with Dime's solos.

Reactions: ccn
No matter the amount of criticisms on intarweb forums, too much pinch harmonics, boring pentatonics, steroids, fake biker look, 357 customs antics, uneven BLS releases, horrible Wylde guitars, yada yada (everything is true), Zakk is still a force of nature to be reckoned with. I saw him live two years ago. He was amazing, plain and simple. That is all. No honest guitarist would say otherwise witnessing the same concert. The guy is a guitar phenomenon, there's no denying it. The concert was really enjoyable. He was enjoying it greatly. The audience was enjoying it. It was awesome.

Wasn't it right around (or after) Ozzmosis when "they" started leaning on outside songwriters more? It seems like that's when he started to lose his edge. To me, the best songs in Ozzy's solo catalog are the ones where his band was doing all the writing.

i think id like him still if he wasnt so intent on trying to look like a comic book caricature of a bad guy biker. and of course that a quarter of the crowd then shows up trying to play make believe tough guys instead of just enjoying the music

his early stuff was so legit too....

i did enjoy the Zakk Sabbath show i went to a few years ago WAY more than i thought i would. lots of fun!

Back