Wizard MTL Mk2 tones

Interesting, I can hear a similarity to my Modern Classic. The mids are definitely different.

Been curious how the Metal sounds. Appreciate the post.

Ya it definitely has a more vintage voicing to it, kinda in the boosted 2203 ballpark but with more low mids, not exactly a modern metal machine. Maybe that's why those amps are so popular around here? Everyone just LOVES vintage around this place. I like the sound of it though, sounds cool.

I have the opposite experience for me . I get modern torn and the bright up helps a lot . Someone on here had a problem like this and switched a tube and it helped . I’ll see if I can find the thread for you . It was very much like your describing. It ended up being a preamp tube

I have the opposite experience for me . I get modern torn and the bright up helps a lot . Someone on here had a problem like this and switched a tube and it helped . I’ll see if I can find the thread for you . It was very much like your describing. It ended up being a preamp tube
The op is the same guy, so it’s unlikely the preamp tube that’s the issue. I’ve had my MTL for almost 6 years now. Great amp (especially for something recent made), but wouldn’t be my first choice for most modern metal either honestly. I think it can be great for some modern metal that is mostly palm mutes and rhythmical in nature (party since it’s so defined and punchy), but for riffs that are either more melodic or more note-y with the left hand it’s not the best choice imo. My friend is in a tech death band and for what he does his MTL is one the best amps he has, but again he’s not as much a lead player and doesn’t play really those styles of riffs that are kinda in between a lead and rhythm. I think also the op may be looking more for that saturation and some other qualities that his original Uber has and that’s just not in the cards for the MTL (with any boost IME)

Last edited:
The op is the same guy, so it’s unlikely the preamp tube that’s the issue. I’ve had my MTL for almost 6 years now. Great amp (especially for something recent made), but wouldn’t be my first choice for most modern metal either honestly. I think it can be great for some modern metal that is mostly palm mutes and rhythmical in nature (party since it’s so defined and punchy), but for riffs that are either more melodic or more note-y with the left hand it’s not the best choice imo. My friend is in a tech death band and for what he does his MTL is one the best amps he has, but again he’s not as much a lead player and doesn’t play really those styles of riffs that are kinda in between a lead and rhythm. I think also the op may be looking more for that saturation and some other qualities that his original Uber has and that’s just not in the cards for the MTL (with any boost IME)
Yeah, for that maybe a boosted MC would be better. I love mine for that reason. I still need to get my hands on an MTL though.

Yeah, for that maybe a boosted MC would be better. I love mine for that reason. I still need to get my hands on an MTL though.
The 1996 MC I had (C transformer in it) definitely took boosts a lot better. I think it was maybe better for that iirc, but imho still not the best tool for that job. Not sure exactly how the later MC’s compare (haven’t tried them), but seemed pretty similar in the clips I’ve heard. I like my 2016 MTL much more than the ‘96 MC I had fwiw

For a modern metal situation that amp seems to fit the bill to my ears. Definitely has that low mid thing going on. I actually thought it sounded real good with the sweep up. Would I sell my mc1 for 1 probably not. But for the application you demoed It sounded great. I assume the Wylde Les Paul still has the original Meg’s.

I have a Rev blue too . I find this all opposite of what I do and feel with MTL2. Everyone is different I know . But for modern metal MTL2 and and my Hermanson are the 2 I go back and forth . Interesting stuff . Different strokes for different folks

I have a Rev blue too . I find this all opposite of what I do and feel with MTL2. Everyone is different I know . But for modern metal MTL2 and and my Hermanson are the 2 I go back and forth . Interesting stuff . Different strokes for different folks
Rev blue isn’t the same beast as the original Rev or 2nd version fwiw. Not sure though how your experience would be opposite though. That is surprising as other MTL owners I’ve chatted with seem to feel similarly to what I felt. The MTL (at least my 2016 MTL 100 I’m talking about) is imo a more dry, open sounding amp that’s great for rhythmical stuff, guys love it for its punch, definition & clarity but for more single note heavy stuff I feel it works better on my amps with more saturation and fluid connection between the notes like the Uber Original or C+ (which are my 2 favorite metal I’ve had or tried so far, followed closely by my Rev D Recto)

Last edited:
Rev blue isn’t the same beast as the original Rev or 2nd version fwiw. Not sure though how your experience would be opposite though. That is surprising as other MTL owners I’ve chatted with seem to feel similarly to what I felt. The MTL (at least my 2016 MTL 100 I’m talking about) is imo a more dry, open sounding amp that’s great for rhythmical stuff, guys love it for its punch, definition & clarity but for more single note heavy stuff I feel it works better on my amps with more saturation and liquid connection between the notes like the Uber Original or C+ (which are my 2 favorite metal I’ve had or tried so far, followed closely by my Rev D Recto)
I now I see what you mean .but it’s till opposite because no matter amp I’m using I don’t use as much saturation. You would probably find playing my amps really weird with my settings . I never have a lot of saturation on my settings for rhythm . I play cleaner because I rely on picking harder to be a part of my tone . I I
never get too saturated . Even my lead tones are .

I now I see what you mean .but it’s till opposite because no matter amp I’m using I don’t use as much saturation. You would probably find playing my amps really weird with my settings . I never have a lot of saturation on my settings for rhythm . I play cleaner because I rely on picking harder to be a part of my tone . I I
never get too saturated . Even my lead tones are .
I’d probably have to hear a clip to hear what you’re talking about. I pick very aggressively too, but often try to be more delicate/finessed on leads. I try to play to each of my amp’s inherent strengths, so I have amps that’ll sound super saturated like my Uber, amps I’ll have dry like my MTL and everything in between. I doubt I’d find your sound weird as I’ve yet to hear any that are weird to me, it’s more just the quality of the type of sound it’s going for that I’m very picky about, not whether it’s dry/saturated, dark/bright, loose/tight, compressed/open, etc. Of course I think the MTL is a great amp. I’ve had it for almost 6 years now, but I just think (like any amp) it has some tonal limitations that some guys who’ve not tried one before wouldn’t expect partly from the stupid internet hyperbole guys. I try hard to be the opposite of that guy lol and be a straight shooter

Last edited:
Sounds good. Interesting that you don't like the bright set high. I need to have it set at 3:00 on all my Wizards. I run the presence up high too. Gives it a more raw and aggressive sound.

I think they all sound a little different over the years after 2016. I still have my 2016 MTL and 2019 KT150, but sold off a newer 2020 MK2 el34 and 2021 Mk2 Hybrid el34. I have a 2021 mk2 6L, and that's right up there with my older ones. They're all similar in certain respects, other than the character of the mids. The KT150 are a little tighter and punchier as well, but much more full in the mids.

I’d probably have to hear a clip to hear what you’re talking about. I pick very aggressively too, but often try to be more delicate/finessed on leads. I try to play to each of my amp’s inherent strengths, so I have amps that’ll sound super saturated like my Uber, amps I’ll have dry like my MTL and everything in between. I doubt I’d find your sound weird as I’ve yet to hear any that are weird to me, it’s more just the quality of the type of sound it’s going for that I’m very picky about, not whether it’s dry/saturated, dark/bright, loose/tight, compressed/open, etc. Of course I think the MTL is a great amp. I’ve had it for almost 6 years now, but I just think (like any amp) it has some tonal limitations that some guys who’ve not tried one before wouldn’t expect partly from the stupid internet hyperbole guys. I try hard to be the opposite of that guy lol and be a straight shooter
I guess my big thing is I can’t imagining needing anymore saturation than the MTL2 has for modern metal . So that’s why I say people are different.That’s confusing for me is all

Back