What is the best guitar amp you have ever played?

jasonP

What in your opinion is the best production amp you have ever played, and what did it over the others that you have tried? I know a lot of us here have had many, and have tried many.

I need some inspiration for a new guitar amp to try. I really want to check out the PRS MT100 when it comes out.

I remember way back when I first got into guitar my friend and I went to guitar center and played a Soldano Hotrod 50 with Mercury Magnetic transformers, wish I would have bought that amp, man did that thing rip. Now I own a Avenger 100 and it really does something similar to that tone I remember hearing. I'm interested to hear some thoughts on what amp you are playing now and really liking.

Best production amp is a MM loaded bogner 101B but it still requires a boost pedal.

The best production amp for my needs didn’t exist which is why I built it from scratch in my Marshall to my own tastes/liking.

I’m not sure what “production” means?

Does that mean “mass produced”?

Best amp for me is my Gjika 10n. Can’t buy it at Guitar Center, but it can be had.

This topic is so subjective. It really depends on the player, the music being played and the sound one hears in his head.

The Gjika is very touch sensitive and the harmonics are off the chart. It’s very rich and deep while being smooth and pleasant to the ear. There is no “crunch” in this amp. There are a hundred other amps that crunch and scream. Bob did something different.

If I had to choose only one, I'd say the boogie mk III. It can sound great in pretty much any situation I'd need it to.

There are other amps I like better for specific uses, but if that was the last & only amp I could ever have, I'd probably get a lot more playing done.

16715123145052667602597883765188.jpg

Best amp for me is my Gjika 10n. Can’t buy it at Guitar Center, but it can be had.

This topic is so subjective. It really depends on the player, the music being played and the sound one hears in his head.

The Gjika is very touch sensitive and the harmonics are off the chart. It’s very rich and deep while being smooth and pleasant to the ear. There is no “crunch” in this amp. There are a hundred other amps that crunch and scream. Bob did something different.

Bob makes killer stuff.

No offence Jason but like gtrwun said - it is all way too subjective. It is still fun to see everyone's responses and pics so carry on.

If you really want good advice though you gotta provide:
Budget?
New or Used?
Location?
Genres?
Cleans required?
Loop required?
Favorite guitarist or fav tone?
And you have an Avenger 100 so why not just get a vintage Marshall or a Mesa Rectifier of some kind?

It means not custom built amp, like one off, something that I could go out and buy.

I completely agree! What kind of music do you play? That amp sounds awesome!

Best production amp is a MM loaded bogner 101B but it still requires a boost pedal.

The best production amp for my needs didn’t exist which is why I built it from scratch in my Marshall to my own tastes/liking.

The 101B, what an amazing amp that is. I've had was able to play one for about a year, and was able to do a "cameron" mod to it. For mid gain, marshall type thing, and leads was the best amp I've ever played for that!

Hey man I totally get it! Really cool you are able to do that!

If I had to choose only one, I'd say the boogie mk III. It can sound great in pretty much any situation I'd need it to.

There are other amps I like better for specific uses, but if that was the last & only amp I could ever have, I'd probably get a lot more playing done.

You sir are a wild beast! I used to own a mark iv and now own a jp2c and can tell you that the mark series of amps are something else. Really cool amps and cool that in my opinion do something a little different then all the rest. Awesome amps. I've always wanted to try a coliseum mark series! Didn't John Sykes play with one and on Blue Murder? His freaking tone man was massive recorded.

No offence Jason but like gtrwun said - it is all way too subjective. It is still fun to see everyone's responses and pics so carry on.

If you really want good advice though you gotta provide:
Budget?
New or Used?
Location?
Genres?
Cleans required?
Loop required?
Favorite guitarist or fav tone?
And you have an Avenger 100 so why not just get a vintage Marshall or a Mesa Rectifier of some kind?

It is really subjective, I was looking for more what you have found was the amp for you or something that you found really is awesome. I was just kind of hoping to start of conversation about that and what music you like to play.
I've had so many amps over the years it would be hard to write down. Currently I own, jp2c, marshall dsl 100, Chupacabra 100 - that I tweaked and put MM transformers on, marshall origin 50, CAA OD-100 SE+ with a couple mods from john suhr, avenger 100, 5150 III stealth and have owned a deliverance 120 I and II, mark IV, triple 3 channel rectifiers, tc100, vht pitull ultra lead, 5150 sig and block, 5150II, marshall 900 slx, revv d120 mkiii, various pre amps.. . and many more I'm forgetting. I run a wet/dry/wet setup and use a strat 500 power amp to feed 2, 4x12 per side.

Now look at this untamed wild beast of an amplifier. Dan is the man right here! Really, really cool that you can tune the front end of the amp with the controls larry offers. Obviously I could say some things about fortin and get into that whole mess. I will say I was really hoping for Randall or even Fortin to come out with an amp that has these types of controls that is I was able to get and not wait 2 years or what ever for. I think for guys like me that play in lower tunings it's almost a must, rather then running a boost. Can you tell me more about this amp and maybe other amps you've tried and what is different about the larry over the others?

It is really subjective, I was looking for more what you have found was the amp for you or something that you found really is awesome. I was just kind of hoping to start of conversation about that and what music you like to play.
I've had so many amps over the years it would be hard to write down. Currently I own, jp2c, marshall dsl 100, Chupacabra 100 - that I tweaked and put MM transformers on, marshall origin 50, CAA OD-100 SE+ with a couple mods from john suhr, avenger 100, 5150 III stealth and have owned a deliverance 120 I and II, mark IV, triple 3 channel rectifiers, tc100, vht pitull ultra lead, 5150 sig and block, 5150II, marshall 900 slx, revv d120 mkiii, various pre amps.. . and many more I'm forgetting. I run a wet/dry/wet setup and use a strat 500 power amp to feed 2, 4x12 per side.
:D

Right on man. I see you've been around the block a bit :LOL:

Carry on...

Now look at this untamed wild beast of an amplifier. Dan is the man right here! Really, really cool that you can tune the front end of the amp with the controls larry offers. Obviously I could say some things about fortin and get into that whole mess. I will say I was really hoping for Randall or even Fortin to come out with an amp that has these types of controls that is I was able to get and not wait 2 years or what ever for. I think for guys like me that play in lower tunings it's almost a must, rather then running a boost. Can you tell me more about this amp and maybe other amps you've tried and what is different about the larry over the others?

Larrys amps do a very specific thing in the low end that nothing else does. It has a tell-tale "gunshot" sound to the palm mutes.

They also have a ridiculous amount of usable gain that never gets messy, undefined, or wooly. The high end has a very trainwreck thing going on, that sounds like it "seethes" with open chords.

Everyone has their favorites - and I can see the appeal of many of them. Medics Morin modded Marshall sounds fantastic, lots of lead players love the bogner ecstacy, many will swear by the 2c+, many prefer old marshalls. All of which I totally get.

But if you're going for tight, defined while retaining ease and playability, Larrys stuff is the business, and hopefully I'll die with mine 🤷

Best production amp? Today, in my opinion it’s the 5153 EL34 100 watt. 25 years ago? Boogie dual recto rev F. Best amp I’ve ever played period, my morin modded Marshall JMP.
Amen broski. The EL34 100w is so fkn insane. Whats funny is the majority of 50w owners are total skeptics of the difference of the the big brother. Cool beans bruh. Your loss if you don't believe me :ROFLMAO:

Another for me personally is a Wizard MCII and my Mark IV Rev A. I got to play both side by side recently and holy fuck the Wiz MC has some serious wallop. Some of you may laugh and disagree but I compare the punch the same as a Marshall Major and a Framus Cobra at close to full volume. Just a massive sounding amp. So impressive.

The Mesa MKIV has a more aggressive voicing though IMO. Great sub lows that rival or even beat an Uberschall.

Bogner goldfinger superlead. Uncompromising cleans on 1 channel, and a highly tailorable Bogner influenced marshall sound on the other. Configurable boost for each channel.

Really is a no compromise channel switcher. I own an early 2000s 101B as well, the Goldfinger beats it I'm afraid to say.

They all had their moments..
-Radical Acceptance:

“Wouldn’t it be good to be on your side,
The grass is always greener over ‘there’
Wouldn’t it be good if we could
live without ‘a’ care?”…..

Back