NGD: Natural Charvel (Mahogany)

Crunchity

Picked up this bad boy a couple days ago. These came out in '21 I believe in Japan and seem kinda limited here in the states. A local boo-teek dealer got his mits on three though and I was lucky enough to sample them all and choose the best. Funny thing is, all three were friggin' great! I swear that was a first, the build quality across all of them was so equal it literally came down to visual preference (grain pattern, shade, etc). Props to the Japan facility building these things because at least in IME, the consistency was crazy good. All three were plek'd so that may have has something to do with it, but really, the fret work, resonance, necks and pockets, etc, were all on par with one another.

Anyway, I always wanted one of those custom shop natural/mahogany HH Charvel's with a Floyd but they never seemed to show up used. This guitar is close enough though and I couldn't be happier! I HATE middle pickups lol and the first thing I did before even playing it was push down on it to see if I'd be able to lower it enough to avoid clunking it with the pick and sure enough, the cavity was deep. I've lowered mine down to nearly flush with the body but it still sounds great in positions 2 and 4. I've also swapped out the Full Shred (not a fan) with a JB (also not a fan lol but it sounds MUCH better here than in anything else I've tossed it in and it smoked the FS).

Some details and p0rn:

MIJ DK24 2PT. mahogany body, figured walnut top (a thick/legit top, no veneer here), 13.1 #, satin finish
Wenge neck (hand finished) and streaky ebony fretboard
Seymour Duncan Full Shred, Flat Strat, Alnico II Pro pickups
Gotoh 510 trem + staggered locking tuners
Plek'd

DK24-HSH-Case-Goodies.jpg

Charvel-DK24-Mahogany.jpg

Charvel-DK24-Mahogany-Body.jpg

Wenge-Neck.jpg

Gotoh-Staggered-Tuners.jpg

I guess I can say I've been around the globe now with Charvel (USA, Japan, Mex)...

My-Charvel-s.jpg

Oh wow, that is a beauty.. gold hardware makes it pop. Sort of has Nuno N4 vibes.

I love Japanese quality control on guitars. So far my 3 out of Japan play extremely well and smooth.

That looks great.

A lot of times with wenge necks, you see grain that is just running all over the place and makes me nervous to see on a guitar neck. But that is nice and straight.

Congrats, that’s an awesome guitar. I bought one when they first came out. Plays great feels great and I think it looks better in person than the pics.

I was going to say that I love it minus the middle pickup. That thing is like a speed bump to my poor technique. Glad to hear yours lowers out of the way!

Thanks gents, especially for the info I had no idea about (wenge neck grain, wrapped strings, which I'll tidy up for sure, etc).

Someone mentioned an N4 vibe, I see that, but I'm thinking it's more like the bastard child of a Reb Beach Ibanez and Govan Charvel lol!

I've also never been a fan of gold hardware but for some reason against this medium brown it looks sexy to me. I'm really loving the buttery feel of the neck more than anything - it reminds me of my old custom shop San Dimas, same fast ease of play.

Great thing is, all three of these Charvel's sound totally different, probably won't part with any of them...hell, the white/US san dimas is my workhorse.

Enjoy your Christmas, all!

Back