What is the best guitar amp you have ever played?

Which is your fav?

It’s tough. They’re all awesome in their own right. The KT150 has always my favorite, but the 6L is growing on me. The ‘16 el34 is pretty special though. I had bought a newer mk2 el34 a few years ago and it didn’t sound as good as my ‘16, so I ended up selling it. I also have a KT150 MC2 mk2 that is pretty killer too, but I’ll probably end up moving it along as the MTLs are definitely my favorite. Plus I can get close enough with my MTL KT150 that I probably don’t need both.

Why 3? They different?
Its one of the mysteries of the cosmos. When it comes to gear, there are no logical paths of thought to follow, we act off impulse and deep desires we don’t even realize exist. We just know that we MUST have that tone/amp. Truly, I’ve never seen anything besides amps and guitars that people go to any length to acquire, well, besides perhaps some primo crack cocaine or some of that hard weed. I’ve spoken to guys on here that have gone deeply in debt in the acquisition of an amp or guitar. Even I have fallen victim to the hideous nature of gear acquisition. There have been a few times when I simply HAD to have an amp or guitar. This dude simply had to have 3 Wizards. Why? You must ask him, but, this mysterious behavior might go beyond the realm of our understanding or comprehension.

I have to go with a true classic, an amp so epic, that Paul Weller used one live rather than his regular amps. If you dare add a classic like the boss metal zone, you now have the best of both worlds. An amp so glassy, shimmery and sparkly while clean that even SRV would play one, and a gain so ferocious, tight and cruel in nature that even hardened black and speed metal fans melt and crumble under the wall of auditory blitzkrieg as it bashes them down, over and over, they receive the pummeling of a life time and get back up while begging for more!!! Rumor has it Queens of the Stone Age used one for the majority of all their albums! Yes!!! Yes!!!! Tis true my friends!! (In a raspy shrieking voice)

Yes, it’s the legendary peavey backstage plus I speak of, and it’s high time people grasp the severity of the serious nature of epic tonez……. And, players are finally pricing them at what they are actually worth!

Apparently, this dude GETS IT!!

https://reverb.com/item/62985151-pe...eavey-decade-s-older-brother-qotsa-josh-homme

Wizard MTL x 3

Ano4rO8.jpeg
This and my Hermanson are the two I love most

I have never experienced not caring about the amp and just playing , I wish I did that would be great . In my experience from the day you start playing guitar you have a tone in your head that you must achieve and you will do anything to obtain it . Whether you can actually play competently is irrelevant.

It's as if sounding terrible with a 90's era crate combo amp is unacceptable but if you sound horrific through an 80's JCM 800 all is good in the world.

THD Series One Plexi

It's basically a 1969 JMP smallbox. Has some tweed harmonics in the high end. It's about 30 years old. Bought it from Ed Degenaro about 15 years ago. Andy Marshall rebuild it a few years ago. Sounds better than ever.

I have favorite amps but can’t say if they are the “best” I’ve played.

Last edited:
Currently my Bogner Goldfinger SL. Back in my youth, Mesa Mk 3. Should have bought a Mk 2c, but when the 3 came out at that time, no one gave a shit about the Mk 2 because hey, there's a mark 3!
Not touring metal bands, no one. This is from 86-92 when I played with Coroner, Sacred, Flotsam, Venom .........long list. No one talked about them and barely anyone, even American bands, played Mesas. It was all boosted JCM 800s. I was the weirdo touring with a Mesa.

Its one of the mysteries of the cosmos. When it comes to gear, there are no logical paths of thought to follow, we act off impulse and deep desires we don’t even realize exist. We just know that we MUST have that tone/amp. Truly, I’ve never seen anything besides amps and guitars that people go to any length to acquire, well, besides perhaps some primo crack cocaine or some of that hard weed. I’ve spoken to guys on here that have gone deeply in debt in the acquisition of an amp or guitar. Even I have fallen victim to the hideous nature of gear acquisition. There have been a few times when I simply HAD to have an amp or guitar. This dude simply had to have 3 Wizards. Why? You must ask him, but, this mysterious behavior might go beyond the realm of our understanding or comprehension.
Take it easy there, Rod Serling.

Long ago, a friends all original (perhaps minus replaced tubes) Marshall Super Lead full stack from the late '60s early '70s; this was when I was a kid back in the '80s; my amp at the time was a Sunn Beta Lead head, and tired old pre-CBS Fender cab.

We were able to crank it in his garage, but we didn't use ear protection, and I think it damaged my hearing and started my tinnitus. It was the loudest thing I'd ever heard.

That's the sound I've been chasing ever since, with a few detours with Vox and modern hi gain...

Back