Tim Henson of Polyphia: Redefining guitar

Didn't have a clue who he was, thought maybe the Muppets guy? Then noticed "him" on Ibanez's site and thought, "he must be cold" wearing that coat inside, lol. But hey, what do I know, being 55.5 I'm not in a position to judge "todays" music.
YgF7ni6.jpg

They aren’t my cup of tea and overall give me the Yngwie thing; I can do one or two songs and then it starts sounding like the same song, just a really long version of it. But I’m stoked that they’re influencing a generation of kids to pick up guitars and really dig into playing.

I remember in the 90’s (I was born in ‘82) thinking “Man, I’m starting off right out of the gate with Eric Johnson and Steve Vai, that’s fucking cool! They weren’t so fortunate in the 60’s/70’s with the virtuosos” and now kids are starting out of the gate with these guys, Tosin Abasi, plus all the virtuosos from the decades gone. There’s going to be some mind blowing players that will come out as a result of that and that‘s cool as fuck, IMO.

I do find it humorous, though; my uncle was my teacher for the first few years I was playing and he’d often tell me stuff like “It doesn’t matter what a guitar looks like, all that matters is what you do with it”, “Who gives a fuck what you look like if you can play your ass off?!”, it was always focused on the playing and that was quite common with the 35+ crowd in the 90’s…..now you just see people bitching about relics and fashion choices. Whatever floats yer boat, man.

They aren’t my cup of tea and overall give me the Yngwie thing; I can do one or two songs and then it starts sounding like the same song, just a really long version of it. But I’m stoked that they’re influencing a generation of kids to pick up guitars and really dig into playing.

I remember in the 90’s (I was born in ‘82) thinking “Man, I’m starting off right out of the gate with Eric Johnson and Steve Vai, that’s fucking cool! They weren’t so fortunate in the 60’s/70’s with the virtuosos” and now kids are starting out of the gate with these guys, Tosin Abasi, plus all the virtuosos from the decades gone. There’s going to be some mind blowing players that will come out as a result of that and that‘s cool as fuck, IMO.

I do find it humorous, though; my uncle was my teacher for the first few years I was playing and he’d often tell me stuff like “It doesn’t matter what a guitar looks like, all that matters is what you do with it”, “Who gives a fuck what you look like if you can play your ass off?!”, it was always focused on the playing and that was quite common with the 35+ crowd in the 90’s…..now you just see people bitching about relics and fashion choices. Whatever floats yer boat, man.
Guitarists have always been arseholes.

The amount of shit I've taken from AC/DC wannabe dads on forums over the years for the crime of being left handed is just unreal. They call it light ribbing, but it isn't. It's just them being cunts.

Likewise with my music - "nice intro's dude!!", "I've never heard a 10minute intro before!" etc etc.... like, when they were kids and Mike Oldfield came on the scene, they were all too busy listening to Agadoo and spying through peepholes.

Guitarists have always been arseholes.

The amount of shit I've taken from AC/DC wannabe dads on forums over the years for the crime of being left handed is just unreal. They call it light ribbing, but it isn't. It's just them being cunts.

Likewise with my music - "nice intro's dude!!", "I've never heard a 10minute intro before!" etc etc.... like, when they were kids and Mike Oldfield came on the scene, they were all too busy listening to Agadoo and spying through peepholes.

Oh dude, I forgot about the left handed thing; we need to form a band so we can be symmetrical onstage with our Orvilles. I’ll shave my head again to make it all the more complete. From now on you’re Left Drew and I’ll be Right Drew. :ROFLMAO: We might have a difference of opinion on amps, but we’ll use the AxeFX as a tiebreaker.

feel free to post up

i dont like the band either but if you dont think the kid is incredibly talented, you are delusional

Yeah, I’m fairly content with my playing abilities, raised myself on a diet of Vai, Petrucci and EJ, but it’d take me a fucking month to learn the first verse of any one of their songs. :ROFLMAO:

Lots of Gate Keeping going on in this Thread. Lots of Old Dudes Sad cause their dreams of being Motley Crue, Journey or Metallica Never happened for them. :ROFLMAO:

Not that I care where he sticks his sausage link in but his woman has a glorious ass. Too bad she's a weirdo and thinks she's a living anime doll.

“I see it being less guitar-centered and more musical. Because I hope that guitar music dies. I want it to die a painful death because so much of it is just bullshit. And I feel like people should focus more on the music itself and use the guitar as a tool to make music versus, like, ‘I’m going to play guitar music,’ you know what I mean? Because so much of it is just not good.”

Other parts of the interview that I didn't quote sure make him sound like he's a total ass who doesn't like guitar driven music.

I like the irony, his music is literally "guitar music." As in, music that only guitar players listen to.

There's just way more bedroom shitters now than in the 80s.

People are going to argue with that, but the sales numbers don't lie.

Yeah whatever but this shit is just gay. :yes:

It really is 😂

There's a bunch of YouTuber shills who can shred and dial in modeler patches too, and their "songs" are on the same level.

Back