Fractal FM3 4 Cable Method Troubleshooting

I don't think so. Both the preamp and power amp are together in the Amp Block, and I don't think there's a way to insert anything in between the two parts of that block. I do my post effects after the amp or even after the cab/IR, so I guess I've never really thought about a traditional loop between the preamp and power amp of the amp block. I think that's been requested before though, but I don't think it's gotten any traction.
Ok Thanks for explaining. :cheers:

The amp and pre-effects are going to be "in front" by virtue of the order of the blocks. You don't have to run the FM3 through the Input of the amp to get that. In fact, you wouldn't want to.

Regardless of how you do it, the effects loop on the amp is going to be BEFORE the power section. Even if you were just using the amp, the send/return on the amp are after its preamp, and before the power amp. Same if you use 4CM: the post effects will still be before the power section of the amp. The amp's effects loop is before the power section, regardless of how you cable it.
I gotcha I gotcha

That clears it up. It's working now

The only other question I've got since we're on the topic of Fractal is, do you guys have any tips for setting a good gainy rock/metal tone? I notice a lot of the Marshall type amps in the unit (i.e. the 800 mod, Splawn QR-100, 5153, etc...) are all quite saturated, and it seems like with this unit its hard to find a sweet spot between not too gainy and over-saturated. Seems like if you dial back the gain (with or without the drive pedal up front) it starts to get a bit ice picky and tough to play. But when you dial in enough gain to make it easier to play its just over-distorted.

Do you guys have any combos of ODs/amps/effects you like to use in this unit?

I gotcha I gotcha

The only other question I've got since we're on the topic of Fractal is, do you guys have any tips for setting a good gainy rock/metal tone? I notice a lot of the Marshall type amps in the unit (i.e. the 800 mod, Splawn QR-100, 5153, etc...) are all quite saturated, and it seems like with this unit its hard to find a sweet spot between not too gainy and over-saturated. Seems like if you dial back the gain (with or without the drive pedal up front) it starts to get a bit ice picky and tough to play. But when you dial in enough gain to make it easier to play its just over-distorted.

Use the trim in the amp block to roll back the gain. When you roll back the gain itself, the bright cap will have more effect. Rolling back the trim decreases the gain without increasing the effect of the bright cap. Or decrease the value of the bright cap. Increasing the Master Volume on the amp block too will sometimes tame the ice pick. I think a lot depends on your pickups too, and their output.

You might check the Fractal forum too. If you post a preset there and what you're looking for, you'll find more than a few helpful people among the zealots ;-)

I turned on the input boost and it allows to select which "type" from the list of all the OD pedals (which is kind of weird. how would that be any different from just having a drive block with a OD pedal?).

The "input trim" is unavailable. Won't let me adjust it

EDIT: BTW, I've got a Jackson DK2M with Duncacn JB, a Charvel with a JB, and a Wolfgang with the wolfie p'up

I turned on the input boost and it allows to select which "type" from the list of all the OD pedals (which is kind of weird. how would that be any different from just having a drive block with a OD pedal?).

The "input trim" is unavailable. Won't let me adjust it

EDIT: BTW, I've got a Jackson DK2M with Duncacn JB, a Charvel with a JB, and a Wolfgang with the wolfie p'up

Check out the blocks guide for the FM3, as well as the manual. Almost all of this is covered in there.

At least some of this won't be very intuitive right away. A lot of us have spent years or even decades with conventional pedals and amps, and there needs to be some allowance when learning a new paradigm. Eventually it'll feel second nature, just like with conventional gear. Pretty amazing stuff. I still have my tube amps, but what I use depends on the situation, and I don't feel like I'm ever sacrificing sound/feel, regardless of whether it's an amp or a modeller.

I gotcha I gotcha

The Master Volumes are set pretty high and introduce power amp distortion pretty quickly. Unless I want power amp distortion with like a Plexi or something, I drop the Master Volume down to 2-2.5 on all my high gain presets, especially the Mesa’s. I’d be willing to bet 10 duckets that this is what you’re running into with the Marshalls.

You use the Level control of the amp block to adjust the volume of the preset, think of the Master Volume as another saturation/distortion knob.

The Master Volumes are set pretty high and introduce power amp distortion pretty quickly. Unless I want power amp distortion with like a Plexi or something, I drop the Master Volume down to 2-2.5 on all my high gain presets, especially the Mesa’s. I’d be willing to bet 10 duckets that this is what you’re running into with the Marshalls.

You use the Level control of the amp block to adjust the volume of the preset, think of the Master Volume as another saturation/distortion knob.
Good to know. Thank you

Back