The Coolest Strat thread?

I only have 1 standard Strat type, a Fender Limited American Professional with the solid rosewood neck. I put a set of Tom Anderson pickups and changed the pickguard to move the volume knob away.

D32FCEEA-BFA6-4893-BB3A-51BD05C07706.jpeg

Oh god that’s just badass.
The rosewood gives it a unique sound vs the typical woods used on bodies. Heaviest guitar I’ve owned too. I replaced the pickguard in that pic with another metal Schecter pickguard of that era that is HHH. Strat pickups imo aren’t well suited in these heavier guitars

Wow.

I for one would love to know more about this thing.
So how does this sound? How many pickup selection options are there and which ones sound the best?
Each of the 5 pickups can individually be turned on/off, so lots of combinations to play with. The 2 switches above those 5 toggles, are boosts. I generally like most just the bridge or neck, but it depends a lot which pickups you have in it. I tried tons of different pickups in it by Wagner, Tone Specific & Fluence’s, but still went back to the stock EMG’s seen in my pics. It got actually some cool Strat tones when I had the Tone Specific ones in the 3 middle positions

Padauk, like rosewood, is dense and the sound reflects that. Both Schecter’s have a much more extended, deep bottom end than you’ll find in any of the typical woods used on bodies, but they sound in some ways less woody. In some ways going to these 2 Schecter’s to a normal mahogany or alder guitar of mine is kinda like when I go from my coliseum to the regular c+ hrg, maybe even more pronounced in contrast. There’s a lot more muscle to the sound. This one sound pretty snappy too. The Rosewood Schecter sounds wetter and a little sweeter, less aggressive and tight than this Padauk with 5 pickups. I also got a Barlow that has a Paduak body, yellowheart top and all Macassar ebony neck. It has the biggest bottom end of any guitar I’ve tried hands down, but not a very versatile guitar

67FD0956-13FA-405A-A0DC-8FC1F115B56A.jpeg
8ADB3C57-DBE0-4F91-A5B4-8B66D5CC4E13.jpeg

Last edited:
1986 E series Japanese Strat I got at 16 years old. It still lives and better action and playability than any other guitar I own.

Attachments

• 476422C5-0D3C-4647-95A1-B77B710B8D52.jpeg
    476422C5-0D3C-4647-95A1-B77B710B8D52.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Here is my white pickguard strat converted to a H H with D tuna. Just got it up and running this week while I have covid and was banished to the basement. I " Mick-ified" it though obviously a cleaner look. Love ebony boards! I also really like these fender aged knobs..have a slightly sticky feel to them for grip rather than the hard plastic.

Attachments

• 20221230_101055.jpg
    20221230_101055.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 36
While it’s about as traditional as it gets, I still get a major hard on for 50’s-featured Strats. Leo knocked it out of the park with everything but the radius and fret size back in the day and I’m certainly a fanboy of 50’s era Fender in general. This is another partscaster I got this year with the big ass 1” neck, I fucking love it. Pribora Classics that are vintage voiced, but the bridge doesn’t sound all thin and pussy-like. Middle tone knob is the master tone, bottom tone knob blends the neck pickup in (or the bridge, if you’re on the neck pickup).

Dude I bought it from said it’s an ash body, but that grain looks way more pine to me. I’ve only seen maybe 2 ash Strats that had that tight of a grain. It’s really light, this thing can’t weigh more than 6lbs and I suspect pine would be a bit heavier, even once dried, but I dunno. Regardless, it sounds fucking great and I’m glad I got it.

DD0D68FF-9F46-463E-9539-7C0485AA6B64.jpeg

And this monster of a neck that ruined my enjoyment of thinner necks for the rest of my life. I just sold my PRS because of exactly this.

A10BA86D-C7AC-4A6C-8C87-86ABDB10A08F.jpeg

While it’s about as traditional as it gets, I still get a major hard on for 50’s-featured Strats. Leo knocked it out of the park with everything but the radius and fret size back in the day and I’m certainly a fanboy of 50’s era Fender in general. This is another partscaster I got this year with the big ass 1” neck, I fucking love it. Pribora Classics that are vintage voiced, but the bridge doesn’t sound all thin and pussy-like. Middle tone knob is the master tone, bottom tone knob blends the neck pickup in (or the bridge, if you’re on the neck pickup).

Dude I bought it from said it’s an ash body, but that grain looks way more pine to me. I’ve only seen maybe 2 ash Strats that had that tight of a grain. It’s really light, this thing can’t weigh more than 6lbs and I suspect pine would be a bit heavier, even once dried, but I dunno. Regardless, it sounds fucking great and I’m glad I got it.

View attachment 152032

And this monster of a neck that ruined my enjoyment of thinner necks for the rest of my life. I just sold my PRS because of exactly this.

View attachment 152035
holy shit thats a baseball bat neck. thick AF.

holy shit thats a baseball bat neck. thick AF.

I bought it with the intention of shaving it down, but after playing on it for about on hour I fell in love with it. I’ve been playing for 30 years and didn’t think I’d have an epiphany like that ever again, I thought I had my preferences set in stone at this point but NOPE!

I can play just as fast on that neck as I can my JEM. It really feels like the neck fills up my palm and ends up providing support for my fingers. I think if most guitarists sat down with a big neck, instead of putting it down right away and saying “Fuck that!”, if they sat with it for about an hour, I think many would change their outlook on it.

I actually considered having a new, thicker neck, made for the Gilmour Strat after getting that one, but that Gilmour Strat sounds and plays so well I don’t want to fuck it up. Just wish that big ass neck had big ass frets! They come from All Parts with pretty tiny, vintage frets.

Back