What String Gauge/Setup for Eb to C# standard tuning?

Anxiety Serum

Going to set one of my Les Paul guitars up for alternate tuning. I want to play a lot in Eb and C# standard and want something that would work with both. May even go Drop C or B occasionally but the other two tunings are more likely to be used.

What string guage is recommended? I like Ernie Balls so thinking 54-11 beefy slinky would work.

Thinking I'd do setup in standard D so I just have to tune a semi tone up or down when needed.

Does splitting the difference make sense or is it better to pick one or the other tunings for the setup and be a whole step off on 1 and perfect on the other as opposed to half step off on both?

FYI. I run 52-10 on my Standard/Drop D guitar.

I'd just set the guitar up for Eb and then use a Digitech Drop to go down to C#.
Whoa, wait this is new to me. Didn't realized something like that existed. How does it sound in comparison to having your actual strings detuned?

This may be the perfect fix until I can save up for yet another guitar.

For Eb tuning, I just use my standard 10-46 DR Tite-fit strings. No issue. Lowest I've been is D standard and at times Low D tuned 1/2 step down. for that tuning I used 11-50 DR Tite-fit but I pretty much never play that low anymore. Lowest I do now days is E Flat or Low E flat tuned another step down to C#, so I stick with 10-46 as no point of going to another string tension.

I did test the DR DDT strings 10-46 and they handled lower tunings a lot better than "Standard" strings. especially in standard D or lower tunings if you dont want to go heavier guage strings.

Good luck

I think the main thing is the string tension when tuning between Eb and C# and the possibility of too tight or too floppy strings and having to adjust the neck. I'd use a string tension guide like below where you can pop in the gauges and see what the difference would be.

https://tension.stringjoy.com

Popping in those numbers on a 24.75" guitar would be:
11-54 at Eb would be 129.8lbs of tension on the neck
11-54 at Db would be 103lbs of tension on the neck

It may not move the neck, but I'd worry about that.

Take strings/tuning that you feel comfortable playing, pop those numbers in and see the tension.
For example, if 10-46 tuned to Eb on a 24.75 guitar feels good, that is 93.7lbs of tension
Dropping down to Db with 10-46 would be 74.3lbs of tension, may get floppy and need a neck adjustment.

However, putting 11-52 strings at Db would be 92.8lbs of tension, it would keep the same feel without the possibility of having to adjust the neck.
Play around with the guide and different tunings and you may be able to find a compromise.

Play around with the guide and different tunings and you may be able to find a compromise.
So what's the target...keeping total tension within a certain range? Or something else?

I mostly play 52-10 on drop D so 118.5 lbs total tension.

Seems like 25lbs difference is where it would sit on most any choice Between Eb and Db.

Example 52-11 would be 117 Eb and 92.8 Db

So what's the target...keeping total tension within a certain range? Or something else?

I mostly play 52-10 on drop D so 118.5 lbs total tension.

Seems like 25lbs difference is where it would sit on most any choice Between Eb and Db.

Example 52-11 would be 117 Eb and 92.8 Db
I think there’s no specific target other than trying to avoid drastic tension changes on the neck where you have to adjust the truss rod unless you don’t mind doing that. But with what you listed it’s possible the neck never needs adjusting, so probably give that a go. I’m only trying to help avoid adjusting the neck, just a caution not a certainty it will happen, other than that I think you’re good with the strings listed.

The target for me is that I like a certain tension on the strings (easy on the hands) so I adjust String size according to tuning. On a single guitar I may change a half step from E to Eb but use other guitars for D with heavier strings for example.

my 06 gibson explorer is the only guitar i've ever owned (out of well over 100) that seems to be able to handle stadard E all the way down to B standard with 11-48's and still be playable and stay in tune without feeling totally akward. B standard is still loose, but it still sounds "right" intonation wise. No other guitar has been like that for me, i don't know what it is about... the neck has been tempered just right or something idk.

I think 11-54 should work if you want to just stick to an overall string set for those tunings. Like others have said it can vary. Just get another guitar and that will solve the problem. I'm kidding of course LOL! For me, I use 10-46 for Eb tuning and 10-52 for D tuning on my six strings (25.5-inch scale). For my seven strings I use 10-59 for Bb tuning and 10-64 for A tuning (25.5-inch scale).

Most of my guitars are kept at Eb and strung with 10s. One Les Paul is kept at E and strung with 9s. 10s have always done me well in the Eb-C# range.

I am thinking of throwing a 59 on one of my Pauls though, because I keep that one in Eb with the low E dropped down to A# and occasionally down to G#. And my usual 46 is just too light for that.

But I keep my SG Junior tuned to C# and strung with 9s so don't listen to me.

Whoa, wait this is new to me. Didn't realized something like that existed. How does it sound in comparison to having your actual strings detuned?

This may be the perfect fix until I can save up for yet another guitar.

The Drop will work great for what you're looking to do. You can drop down a whole step and a half
without any latency or messed up tone issues.

Back