Your favourite post-90's metal

Just barely makes it into the 2000's but "Clayman" by In Flames was incredible, and went a long way to popularize the Studio Fredman mic technique.

This album is "Heart Like a Grave" by Insomnium. This album came out in 2021. Insomnium is one of my favorite bands these days.

Last edited:
Power metal at its best. Riot started it all in the 70’s with “Fire Down Under” and pushed forward through the 80’s with “Restless Breed and Born in America” then transformed with Tony Moore on vocals in the late 80’s on Thunder Steel. What a Jem.
I don’t go much later than that except Opeth. Love them.

Riot is freakin awesome! Love all their shiznat. Really wish Rhett Forrester wasn’t murdered. I thought that version was really good.

Not post 2000 I know.

I get a lot of shit for liking this record
Yeah, a lot of folks who are pissed that this band got attention before others in the same genre. I personally only like Deafheaven when it comes to this type of music. None of the other bands do it for me (a 50+ year old who grew up on classic rock, 80’s metal and 90’s stuff).

Power metal at its best. Riot started it all in the 70’s with “Fire Down Under” and pushed forward through the 80’s with “Restless Breed and Born in America” then transformed with Tony Moore on vocals in the late 80’s on Thunder Steel. What a Jem.
I don’t go much later than that except Opeth. Love them.

Not post 2000 I know.

I can't even tell you how many times my headbanger friends and I performed air guitar to "Swords and Tequila" in the early 80s at Homecoming

Too much to list. 20 years is a long ass time in music haha.

Slipknot - Iowa
Shadows Fall - The Art of Balance
Lamb Of God - As the Palaces Burn & Ashes of the Wake
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Opeth - Blackwater Park & Ghost Reveries
Protest the Hero - Kezia & Fortress
Rivers of Nihil - The Work & Where Owls Know my Name
The Ocean - Pelagial
Mastodon - Blood Mountain & Crack the Skye
Meshuggah - Nothing
The Sword - Age of Winters
Cynic - Traced in Air
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius & The Way of All Flesh
The Haunted - Revolver
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper & Hate Crew Deathroll
Revocation - Deathless and Chaos of Forms

A ton of other stuff I couldn't think of right now.

I'd just like to remind you that At the Gates, the fathers of Gothenburg Melodeath, have been back for a while.

Tool's Lateralus was 2001:

ISIS's In The Absence Of Truth from 2006:

And Panopticon was 2004:

Deftones White Pony, 2000:

Seriously.... if you're not familiar with any metal, hard rock, post-metal, post-rock, from the early 2000's through to today.... you're really missing out IMHO.

Slayer worship can get in the fucking sea.

Tool's Lateralus was 2001:

ISIS's In The Absence Of Truth from 2006:

And Panopticon was 2004:

Deftones White Pony, 2000:

Seriously.... if you're not familiar with any metal, hard rock, post-metal, post-rock, from the early 2000's through to today.... you're really missing out IMHO.

Slayer worship can get in the fucking sea.

Tool is amazing, left them off as they were already well know in the 90s and I figured original poster was asking for post 90s bands. But Tool is a must if someone hasn't gotten into them.

So is Chevelle:

Ha yeah, I haven't been completely under a rock! Much of this is familiar to me - more looking for cool stuff I may have missed.

Already checked out a few that haven't been on my radar before - nice way to bring in a new year.

"Metal" is still a pretty broad swath of music, especially going back to 2000 - Anthrax, Megadeth and if you want to include NWOBHM bands Iron Maiden have put out very good stuff since 2000. Not on par with their "golden Era" best, but for me much better than lot of current bands. I love Judas Priest & Rob Halford can still perform, but have to say their post 2000 stuff left me cold, just a few decent cuts.

Not sure they qualify as Metal, definitely hard rock, but I really like Clutch, they have a tongue in cheek nature that's fun, some great riffs.

Back