The Honeymoon Is Over...

SFW

Well, tonight my brief love affair with the BE-100 Deluxe came to an end. After having it for a little over a week and twisting knobs at the house, I took it to band practice this evening. No matter what knob I twisted or switch I flipped, I could not get the amp to sit correctly in the mix. Which is saying something as I'm the only guitar player. On paper, this should be my ultimate amp. In use, it was not what I was after. It is a seriously well-built amp. Just not the amp for me. Which is more than a little disappointing. Maybe I've just lived in Splawn land too long...lol! I missed the upper aggression of the Splawn. And the cut. The crazy think to me is that my go to profile on my Kemper is the BE-50 Deluxe. But then I supposed that a Kemper profile is more than just the amp. I was so excided about using the BE-100 at our show this weekend... on well. Anyway, thanks to all who assisted with this journey.

Thankfully I am still within my return window at Sweetwater.

Scott has been building insane amps lately - arguably some of the best he’s ever made. It doesn’t surprise me that your ears like his amps - they cut like a knife. I would say that some amps are better live and others are better in the studio. I know I EQ my amp very differently under recording versus in the room or live.

After you get the amp returned, what will you do?

Scott has been building insane amps lately - arguably some of the best he’s ever made. It doesn’t surprise me that your ears like his amps - they cut like a knife. I would say that some amps are better live and others are better in the studio. I know I EQ my amp very differently under recording versus in the room or live.

After you get the amp returned, what will you do?
I'm honestly not sure. I'll probably gig with the Kemper for a while and try as may amps as I can.
You didn’t sound too thrilled with it last post despite saying you loved it, sorry to hear
I thought I had it figured out. I wanted to love this amp so bad. But in the end, $4k is way too much money invested to not love an amp, IMHO.

I really loved the JJ100 for what it was, but not what I kept trying to use it for. The 2204 I have now ends up working a lot better for what I want most of the time out of a Marshall, which is more cutting and aggressive boosted thrash/speed metal kind of tones.

I was under the impression Friedmans often cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. As in adding a ton of butter to cake mix.

I’ve repeated it a few times on here but to me Friedman had it with the OG Marsha design then he over refined it on each reiteration after. It’s more of a studio amp now IMO, much like the Herbert.
Haven’t tried a Marsha, but if I had a dollar for all these amp makers getting it right the first time only to lose the magic and get progressively worse with each revision (Uberschall, Recto, VH4, SLO, C+, etc). It’s almost like puberty in reverse with these revisions

For uppermid aggression I’d just use a ‘70’s SuperLead or 2203/4 with the right boost or mod and call it a day. Nothing else I’ve tried yet brings aggressive uppermids like them. IMHO they smoke any of the Splawn’s I’ve played, including even the earliest QR’s I’ve played & 2018 QR I tried

For uppermid aggression I’d just use a ‘70’s SuperLead or 2203/4 with the right boost or mod and call it a day. Nothing else I’ve tried yet brings aggressive uppermids like them. IMHO they smoke any of the Splawn’s I’ve played, including even the earliest QR’s I’ve played & 2018 QR I tried
Yup . My 2203/4's will take your face off with boosts . It's funny because I've spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years looking for the holy grail of amps but the 6 knob princesses were right in front of my face the whole time.

I thought I had it figured out. I wanted to love this amp so bad. But in the end, $4k is way too much money invested to not love an amp, IMHO.

I agree, there shouldn’t need to be any figuring out at that price. I would just happily rock the kemper, fuck it

Several touring pro's use and love the BE's, and other Friedman variants, so there is something right with that formula. I still want to try a Smallbox and Runt because I hear that they have a bit more of that Marshally high mids thing but have not come across one yet to do so. The JJ Jr I had sounded pretty good on it's own but still lacked that cut.

Love Splawns, haven't had one in years(had 4). But the EVH was more for me now. That said, I thought the same thing. Both my 2006 QRs cut like a knife and were more aggro, The 2012 I had got lost in the band situation with another guitarist, something I wasn't used to with my 2006. It was darker and wooly, but I chalked it up to the classictone trannies. The Heybeor ones on the older ones knocked you in the frickin chest. I think Classictone have gone under so I'm not sure if Scott is back to using Heyboers or not? If he is, that's a good move!

Back